No announcement yet.

2011 Patriots Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square peg, round hole. The desire for NT's is at an all time high right now...but unfortunately the supply does not meet the demand. A few years ago before the mass migration to the 3-4, Paea wouldn't even be considered there.

I've seen a lot of Northwest Football the past few years and he stands out for sure...but I think his potential is very limited in a 3-4. It would have to be the right team and be more of an attacking style defense. Scott said Sedrick Ellis for a guy he's similar too. Are you guys REALLY comfortable having that type of player play the most important position in a 3-4?

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• If you don't think we need a DE. What makes you think we need a NT? We have the best one in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
        Wright and Pryor were injured for a large portion of the season. Wright was one of the best - if not THE best - pass rushing 3-4 DE in the NFL this season. He was a beast until he suffered the concussion and never came back. People keep talking about replacing him (going back years now), but he's proven he's on a higher level as a 3-4 DL than what he's been given credit for.
        That doesn't make him a starting caliber player though. That's great that he can get after the passer and all that. Love him as a player and was possibly one of the more underrated guys in the NFL the past few years...but he's a rotational player without a true position. He's not a stout gap player or a guy who can demand double teams and allows LB's to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He hardly ever plays out of the base package anyway.

Hell, the fact we can't run a base package is a bad sign for our defensive line.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
          Square peg, round hole. The desire for NT's is at an all time high right now...but unfortunately the supply does not meet the demand. A few years ago before the mass migration to the 3-4, Paea wouldn't even be considered there.
          Paea is a 1 gapper, 43 NT. He's 310+ LBs at 6'1". He uses leverage and plays like a NT. While I don't think he'll be a great 34 NT, I think he'll be fine.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

• Originally posted by sportslover View Post
            If you don't think we need a DE. What makes you think we need a NT? We have the best one in the league.
            They don't, but the fact that Paea offers that kind of versatility makes him an attractive option. Paea would primarily be a DE for the Pats with the ability to fill in at NT. He's the kind of player that would never have to leave the field.

Comment

• That is true, but I think a OLB pass rusher who can play on all 3 downs is a much more pressing needs. a Smith/Quinn/Kerrigan type talent is what we need and much more pressing at 17.

Comment

• Originally posted by sportslover View Post
                That is true, but I think a OLB pass rusher who can play on all 3 downs is a much more pressing needs. a Smith/Quinn/Kerrigan type talent is what we need and much more pressing at 17.
                I've been saying I'm not in favor of drafting a DL in the first.

Kerrigan, Pouncey, or Miller/Houston at #17 would do more to get the Pats back to being one of the best scoring defenses in the NFL while prolonging the success of the offense. OLB, C, and OT with the first three picks would probably be my preference. Wouldn't mind a RB mixed in there, either.

I think QB is a viable option. I don't see the negative impact with Tom Brady so obviously in his prime. The only person that should take offense to it would be Hoyer.

Comment

• Yeah definitely agree with you there. I like Kerrigan, Aldon Smith and of course Quinn the most with our first pick whether it's at 17 or trade up.

Comment

• Scott mocked us A. Smith and C. Heyward. Love it.
                    -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• I'd LOVE that too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                        Scott mocked us A. Smith and C. Heyward. Love it.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                        I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...s.html?sid=101

C. Heyward had surgery on his elbow. Going to miss the Senior bowl and might mess with his combine numbers.
                          More and more likely that he'll be available at #28. Love it.
                          -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• My favorite 3-4 DE in this class is JJ Watt. But I'd be fine with us taking a guy like Aldon Smith who will be a stud pass rusher over him and then taking Heyward later on.

Comment

• Originally posted by descendency View Post
                              Paea is a 1 gapper, 43 NT. He's 310+ LBs at 6'1". He uses leverage and plays like a NT. While I don't think he'll be a great 34 NT, I think he'll be fine.
                              You don't draft a player in the first round at NT to be fine. I do agree he uses leverage well, but that doesn't mean he plays like a NT. He would be an UT for a lot of teams who run a 4-3 because of his penetrating abilities. Could he play NT? Sure. He could manage and get by...but you would be much better off if you were another team taking Phil Taylor in the fourth round than Paea in the first and telling him to do something his body and skillset aren't meant to.

Aldon Smith and Cam Heyward is a great haul. Smith is a little concerning, but he's the type of OLB the staff has been looking for. High bust potential there though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                                Aldon Smith and Cam Heyward is a great haul. Smith is a little concerning, but he's the type of OLB the staff has been looking for. High bust potential there though.
                                I agree with this. I was simply pointing out that the "expert" opinion is that Paea is a 34/43 NT.
                                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information