Draft needs 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
    The thing with Quinn is we would need him to slim back down to about 250 to 260, and I'm not sure he's headed in that direction.
    Quinn and a DE would make me smile.
    -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Quinn and LaMichael would make me ***.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
      I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

I really like Aldon Smith too, who Scott mocked to us in his latest. Him in the late first along with Heyward or AJ Green would be amazing.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I want the Pats to go get that unbelievable OLB with Oakland's pick, but for some reason I just don't think they will.

Should the Patriots go after another safety in the early rounds (late 1st or 2nd)? The Pats have played a lot of big nickel this year. Merriweather has seemed to lose favor with the coaching staff. I know we have depth in Page, Sanders, and McGowan but if we are continuing to play 3 safeties in sub packages it would be a good idea to provide an upgrade. Obviously this is presuming there is a player available that can be an upgrade.

It scares me that the Pats may have to go back to drafting a corner early again. While I don't think it would happen; it's still possible given the struggles or Butler and Wilhite to get on the field. We will know the status of their needs better at the end of the year. That said you have to look at players that can't get on the field as sunk costs and find guys that are going to productive.

It will be interesting to see what direction the Pats go with all these picks.

Comment

^ It sucks to think we've invested a good amount of picks into CBs that are underperforming, but that just makes me want to see a top CB taken for a change. We really can't expect to snag Assante Samuel type steals in the mid rounds all the time. The league is so pass happy these days that it makes the most sense to just bite the bullet and value the blue chip DBs over everything else.

I'd still rather see a DE with the Raiders pick, but the class is fairly deep there and we could always move up from 22ish to grab someone in the teens if necessary. CB at 10 would not prevent us from getting a top DE still, whereas DE at 10 could very well put us out of the hunt for the (presumably) 2 solid CB talents. (Obviously, we could still move up for the CB, but the point is that CB looks to be harder to come by in the upcoming draft when compared to DE.)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

If Peterson is there, that'd be a boss pick. Prince might be palatable as well. However, I see Butler coming out of his struggles and becoming a damn good corner still.

Comment

I could justify us taking either of those two, especially Peterson. We've taken a lot of corners, but we haven't taken any game changers at that position(or anywhere on defense for that matter).

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Nick Fairley or Adrian Clayborn are my two current favorite players I want on NE with the Raiders pick. I could definitely go for a Patrick P or a Prince A, if available though. Both are legitimate shutdown corners.
                  **** her in da *****!

Comment

Fairley is interesting, but I'm starting to favor a Robert Quinn/JJ Watt first round with a Ryan Kerrigan/ Best Wide Receiver available second round.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                      Nick Fairley or Adrian Clayborn are my two current favorite players I want on NE with the Raiders pick. I could definitely go for a Patrick P or a Prince A, if available though. Both are legitimate shutdown corners.
                      Really impressed with Clayborn, to me he is by far the best of guys like Dareus, Quinn, Bowers... although those guys arent too shabby.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                        Really impressed with Clayborn, to me he is by far the best of guys like Dareus, Quinn, Bowers... although those guys arent too shabby.
                        Clayborn could be the top end prospect, but he's more suited to a power end role in a 4-3 or maybe a one-gap role in a 3-4 defense (for a team like the Jets or Ravens, maybe.) New England's defensive linemen are expected to account for two gaps in the run game, and to try to command double teams so that our linebackers are free to roam around the field, making tackles and putting pressure on the quarterback. He's just not that great of a fit for the Patriots, and historically Belichick has been unwilling to change his defense to accommodate players who don't fit well into what's already there (see his historical unwillingness to draft a wide variety of skilled but undersized pass rushers.)

Bowers is another one-gap guy, so he probably won't be the pick either. Same could most likely be said for Allen Bailey, who fits much better into the defense of the Cowboys or Chargers than the Patriots. Marcel Dareus has got to be considered the front-runner for a 3-4 end in New England, assuming they have a top-ten draft pick. Otherwise, they could target a Heyward or Crick later on in the draft, who both have that height and length that Belichick found so appealing with Richard Seymour. If the team opts not to address the end position in the first round (entirely possible given the depth the team has already), they could potentially target someone like Christian Ballard later on.

Comment

Bowers would be an OLB for the Pats.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                            Honestly I don't see that at all. This guy is a defensive end in a 4-3 and a defensive end in a one-gap 3-4. There's not really any place for him in our defense.

Comment

I actually disagree about Bowers. He came into this year in a lot better shape and condition and has cut his playing weight a bit. His quickness and lateral agility has improved this year.

What do the rest of you think about Watt? He seems to be the prototypical BB DE. Like his ability to handle the run better, but you lose something as a pass rusher. I actually think I like Watt a little bit better than Daerus right now just because of his length. He's not as stout or quick, but he uses his body so well and he's an excellent athlete in his own right.
                              Last edited by ElectricEye; 10-24-2010, 02:17 PM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I think Watt could be a smart pick in the second round. I think there are too many 5-techniques this year to draft him much earlier.

It really depends on what the coaching staff thinks of Deaderick because I don't think they will look at him (Watt) as a nickel rusher, though he was impressive against OSU.

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                                Bowers doesn't fit in NE's 34 defense or NE's nickel package. He might be able to play DT in the nickel, but he'll be gone way before that kind of specialized player is taken. His best fit is a 43 DE and someone in the top 10 will agree and probably take him as such.

---

Crick post-Suh doesn't impress me at all. I see a lot less from him.

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                                Same could most likely be said for Allen Bailey, who fits much better into the defense of the Cowboys or Chargers than the Patriots.
                                Bailey holds the point of attack, can bull rush anyone, has long arm and is a big guy. He'd be a good fit for either 34 defense. (either = 2 gap like us or 1 gap like dallas)

I've seen him play 2 gaps at Miami. I've seen him play UT, DE, and Rush Linebacker (yea, he played 7-tech in a 2 point stance a few plays). The kid improves every year. I really really think he could be a monster if Belichick can get a hold of him. He needs to work on his disengaging blockers to be more effective in a 2 gap system, but I don't see it as a huge problem. With his strength, he needs to just throw the blocker out of the way and swarm the ball carrier.

He's slowly becoming one of my favorite draft prospects even if I still think he needs some serious work on getting off the snap faster. But he plays faster now than he did last year and it's causing havoc.
                                Last edited by descendency; 11-17-2010, 02:04 AM.
                                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information