Thoughts on Cameron Heyward?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• midwestpatsfan
    started a topic Thoughts on Cameron Heyward?

Thoughts on Cameron Heyward?

If anyone saw the bowl game against Arkansas, you know that Heyward played out of his mind. He has the body type to be a DE in the Patriots system and if he plays like he did against Arkansas, sign me up. That is the question, I have read other places that he seems to disappear in games and is not always motivated. So what are your thoughts on this guy for the Patriots, both positive and negative.

• TNPatsFan
    replied
    Originally posted by proshoota25 View Post
    i will argue though that if you watched a few OSU games this year, Heyward looked like a mid-round pick. he got destroyed by carimi. just watching games isnt everything.
    Well I saw a lot more of OSU than I did of Cal. I'll admit Heyward didn't always play great, but I won't go so far as to say he looked like a mid round pick. He and Jordan were both consistently good, but Heyward from what I saw was at times great. I never saw that from Jordan.

Bottom line I don't think either of them should be top 20 picks. Late first or early second seems right to me.

Leave a comment:

• Razor
    replied
    Originally posted by proshoota25 View Post
    i will argue though that if you watched a few OSU games this year, Heyward looked like a mid-round pick. he got destroyed by carimi. just watching games isnt everything.
    I think mid rounder is being a bit hard on him, but he sure as hell didn't look like a first rounder either! That's part of the reason why I'm much higher on Wilkerson than I am on Heyward. Heyward will go higher than he should because of his size and strength though, but I am worried about his inability to use that to generate some pressure (unless it's a Bowl Game).

Leave a comment:

• proshoota25
    replied
    Originally posted by TNPatsFan View Post
    I would rather have Cam Heyward than Cam Jordan. He's just a better player. I know Jordan was said to have a superb week at Senior Bowl practices, but what did he do in the game? Nothing. And I watched a few Cal games this year specifically to watch Jordan, and he was ok but he sure didn't look like a top 20 draft pick. More like a second rounder.

Cam Heyward on the other hand is on my list of top wishes for the Pats to get in this draft.

Leave a comment:

• TNPatsFan
    replied
    I would rather have Cam Heyward than Cam Jordan. He's just a better player. I know Jordan was said to have a superb week at Senior Bowl practices, but what did he do in the game? Nothing. And I watched a few Cal games this year specifically to watch Jordan, and he was ok but he sure didn't look like a top 20 draft pick. More like a second rounder.

Cam Heyward on the other hand is on my list of top wishes for the Pats to get in this draft.

Leave a comment:

• Nalej
    replied
    Eh, I disagree and concur with descendency.
    I think he's the best odd front DE. (When going 100% which I think won't be a problem in NE)

Leave a comment:

• patriots21
    replied
    Im not a big fan of Heyward or Baily. I think we gotta address DE at 17 with Cam Jordan or JJ Watt.

Leave a comment:

• descendency
    replied
    I feel when he is going 100%, he's the best 30 front 34 DE.

Leave a comment:

• FlyingElvis
    replied
    I think both positions have good depth so there's no reason we can't have both. But there really is no question which of the two BB & Co. place a higher value on.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricEye
    replied
    I want both and I think we can have them if we play our cards right.

Leave a comment:

• Nalej
    replied
    I agree. We've been begging for a stud OLB for years now. Please, lets just X that box off already

Leave a comment:

• ElectricEye
    replied
    Defensive line will always be a more important position than linebacker in any scheme. The name linebacker even implies that haha.

Leave a comment:

• FlyingElvis
    replied
    I concur.

Our entire defense struggles with Wilfork out of place. Having a true, 3 down 5-tech again would allow us to send our much improved LB core (and safeties, on occasion) flying around the pocket like we did w/Seymour / Vrable / Bru / Harrison. And lord help any QB we face if that true DE can push the pocket some, too.

V-Weazy will be seriously weazy if we keep forcing him into 3 down duty. The man is absolutely not built for that. Edge rushers always look more studly when the DE commands the double team.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricEye
    replied
    Originally posted by luckyjackaubrey View Post
    If your front three contains no hint of a pass rush that is why your blitzing OLBs are not getting it done. Finding an edge guy will be easier because a d lineman that can get to the qb is rare (as far as ones that fit the 3-4).

opposing teams don't have to commit multiple guys to anyone on our line, no one needs help so they have the extra blocker to pick up any blitz. We need a disruptor in the Seymour role. Seymour didnt rack up the sacks personally but teams spent so much effort and resources blocking him that you would see a host of other guys picking up sacks because they were either 1 v1 or just came clean?

Two of my favorite Pats were Vrabel and Bruschi, but neither of them were elite pass rushers. much of their stats were inflated by the other talent around them. First round picks on stud d line historically work out. Even #1 overall pick Rick Sims wasn't a total bust. He never became what we thought he could, but he was always our best lineman.
    Very good post. Agree. Pass rush because easier to manufacture if you have a guy taking up multiple blockers.

Leave a comment:

• luckyjackaubrey
    replied
    If your front three contains no hint of a pass rush that is why your blitzing OLBs are not getting it done. Finding an edge guy will be easier because a d lineman that can get to the qb is rare (as far as ones that fit the 3-4).

opposing teams don't have to commit multiple guys to anyone on our line, no one needs help so they have the extra blocker to pick up any blitz. We need a disruptor in the Seymour role. Seymour didnt rack up the sacks personally but teams spent so much effort and resources blocking him that you would see a host of other guys picking up sacks because they were either 1 v1 or just came clean?

Two of my favorite Pats were Vrabel and Bruschi, but neither of them were elite pass rushers. much of their stats were inflated by the other talent around them. First round picks on stud d line historically work out. Even #1 overall pick Rick Sims wasn't a total bust. He never became what we thought he could, but he was always our best lineman.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information