This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England Patriots Discussion

What happened to the other thread? Automatically deleted because of lack of activity?

Anyway, concerning the next year draft, I wonder if our ILB need (which is the most important imho) will be filled through FA rather than in the first round of the draft. It seems, as for now, that there is no 3-4 ILB who have enough value to be draft in the 20's. At the opposite, there are many DBs who could be interesting : Darrelle Revis, Michael Griffin, Aaron Rouse. I would not be suprised if one or even 2 DBs would be selected in first round by the Pats and no ILB.

Thanks to BoneKrusher

I would certainly think that ILB is a huge need, but we probably will take the best LB available at the time whether it be a tweener or an inside LB. If Woodley is there then we will take him and move Vrabel inside, but if he is gone and a guy like Willis is there then I am certain we will take him.

I really want Michael Griffin, but if he isn't available then I want a true shutdown CB like a Leon Hall or a Darelle Revis.

Comment

i want

Patrick Willis
      Reggie Nelson
      Michael Griffin

^should be avaible .. at least 1

others i want out of reach
      LaRon Landry
      Leon Hall
      Gaines Adams

Comment

A lot of the mocks have us taking a WR quite high in the drafts, but I'm a firm believer that its our D which needs adressing this draft. But I am interested in if you think Jeff Samardzija would be a good fit in New England, and if you'd be happy to see him in the Patriots Uniform?

Obviously he's had 2+ years working with Weis at ND, and is a proven top drawer WR, so i for one would be happy if the Pats selected him, but only if he calls time on playing Baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by EHobbs27
          I would certainly think that ILB is a huge need, but we probably will take the best LB available at the time whether it be a tweener or an inside LB. If Woodley is there then we will take him and move Vrabel inside, but if he is gone and a guy like Willis is there then I am certain we will take him.

I really want Michael Griffin, but if he isn't available then I want a true shutdown CB like a Leon Hall or a Darelle Revis.
          Bill Belichick has pretty much showed that he doesn't trust rookie linebackers. The linebacker spot is pretty much exclusively addressed through free agency around here, and Mike Vrabel's move inside was temporary, as his skillset is much better suited to play on the outside. I would say cornerback is the most likely position to draft in the first round, because Asante Samuel still hasn't worked out a deal and it looks like he's leaving.

Since Samuel wasn't regarded as a very smart defensive back, I don't think the intelligence (or lack thereof) of Reggie Nelson would turn Belichick away, and he would replace Samuel, a hard-hitting, Floridian corner, with another hard-hitting, Floridian corner. I also heard rumors last year that the Patriots really liked Haloti Ngata and would have drafted him at #21 in the unlikely case that he was available.

With that said, there are not really any defensive tackles other than Alan Branch worth drafting in the first, so I don't think that will be addressed. Perhaps someone like Adam Carriker. He's a rare 3-4 end, and with the lack of success that Jon Sullivan and Marquise Hill had, it's clear that Belichick wants a very deep defensive line but hasn't been able to find a great fit. Granted, Carriker may not be considered a first round talent at this point, but Logan Mankins was projected in the late second, early third range (I had actually projected him to go to New England at the end of round two in my seven-round mock) and so projected draft position might not matter much, either.

Comment

Nelson is a CB/Safety so the versatility will get BB's attention..him being kinda close with Meyer now..maybe helps BB make the decision beter.

a hard hitter..playmaker is what u get in Nelson and i want it!

Comment

I highly doubt we go Defensive Line. It is by far our strongest position and Alan Branch will be a top 10 pick.

Everyone says we don't pick LB's early, but the same was said last year about RB's. It gets to a point when you need youth at LB, you can't keep adding 30+ year old guys to your LB's core. The Pats need speed and this is a great draft to get a LB. I'm pretty sure we will take one in round 1 this year.

Comment

Does anybody else think that we may trade both of our first round picks to move up if a player we like falls just enough?

Comment

capitalize Discussion, ya bunch of slackers

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMcgee
                    capitalize Discussion, ya bunch of slackers
                    And why we must do that? :?:

Thanks to BoneKrusher

Comment

congrats.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

well if smazada (spelling???) falls to us in the late 20s ( where i project us) most likely 28 or 29 then we should definatley take him but the seahawks will probaly finish around 18 and i just dont see a playmaking saftey there. so i say we trade up to get micheal griffin

Comment

I would love a guy like Reggie Nelson, but if James Sanders continues to play well, then maybe we don't need a safety. I hope Sanders continues to play well so we can get a LB and a WR in round one or a LB and a CB.

Comment

Originally posted by EHobbs27
                            I would love a guy like Reggie Nelson, but if James Sanders continues to play well, then maybe we don't need a safety. I hope Sanders continues to play well so we can get a LB and a WR in round one or a LB and a CB.
                            how well has Sanders played? didnt do anything too bad that got noticed so thats a good sign

but Nelson..give us a CB/S whos a ballhawk and playmaker..

Rodney is done in a year or 2..Wilson is an FA in 08

Nelson for PATS!

Comment

pretty impresive, the pats look ready,but watch out for the ravens 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information