Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like Hughes here, I can't see us taking him. He is pretty one dimensional and doesn't have the size we look for in LB's. I'd rank the list like this for who I'd like-

1. Kindle
    2. Graham
    3. Griffin
    4. JPP
    5. Hughes
    6. Hardy (I know a lot of you doubt him in a 3-4 but I think he can do it)

Comment

• How doesn't Hughes have size? At 6'3 260, he's actually bigger than Kindle and the same size as all the others, roughly, sans JPP and Hardy. If we're going to take anyone under 6'5, gotta think Hughes is right up there with any of them.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• When I see Hughes see Everette Brown. Probably going to be in the 6-2 255 range with great athleticism and pass rushing ability, but we had 3 chances to draft Brown and we didn't. I think Hughes is the same type of player Brown and I just can't see us drafting him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
          When I see Hughes see Everette Brown. Probably going to be in the 6-2 255 range with great athleticism and pass rushing ability, but we had 3 chances to draft Brown and we didn't. I think Hughes is the same type of player Brown and I just can't see us drafting him.
          That is a very good comparison imo.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
          I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• Right now I am willing to bet JPP doesnt get passed Oakland with a strong possibility he goes to Cleveland, Kansas City, Tampa Bay or even as high as Detroit.

Pass rushers have huge value and Detroit, TB etc may see more value in taking a guy who could be a potential 15 sacks a year type over a dominant DT like McCoy.

If by some sort of miracle, and I literally mean this guy will have to fail drugs tests, get arrested for armed robbery and kick a puppy in the face, he falls near the Patriots he would almost be guaranteed to be the pick. IMO though, luckily he wont be around because his bust potential is huge.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
              Right now I am willing to bet JPP doesnt get passed Oakland with a strong possibility he goes to Cleveland, Kansas City, Tampa Bay or even as high as Detroit.

Pass rushers have huge value and Detroit, TB etc may see more value in taking a guy who could be a potential 15 sacks a year type over a dominant DT like McCoy.

If by some sort of miracle, and I literally mean this guy will have to fail drugs tests, get arrested for armed robbery and kick a puppy in the face, he falls near the Patriots he would almost be guaranteed to be the pick. IMO though, luckily he wont be around because his bust potential is huge.
              I laughed pretty hard at that.

I definitely have preferences for which de/olb to draft (I prefer Kindle to all), but as long as some sort of pass rusher is drafted I really don't care.

I get kind of annoyed to hear BB say that OLB's need to be certain sizes and run certain speeds. I get it, you want big, fast OLB's, who doesn't? Sometimes players don't fit the prototypical mold that you are looking for, but can get the job done better than those that do. For instance, Elvis Dumervil is better than Pierre Woods despite being smaller.
              Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

I don't like Hughes here, I can't see us taking him. He is pretty one dimensional and doesn't have the size we look for in LB's. I'd rank the list like this for who I'd like-

1. Kindle
                2. Graham
                3. Griffin
                4. JPP
                5. Hughes
                6. Hardy (I know a lot of you doubt him in a 3-4 but I think he can do it)
                There are few instances where I see the Pats drafting a Texas player. Those instances are role players like Dave Thomas.

I think Graham, Griffen, JPP, and Hardy are all decent candidates for the Pats. I also think George Selvie is a good possibility.

Comment

When I see Hughes see Everette Brown. Probably going to be in the 6-2 255 range with great athleticism and pass rushing ability, but we had 3 chances to draft Brown and we didn't. I think Hughes is the same type of player Brown and I just can't see us drafting him.
                  The thing that killed Brown for us is that he measured in at 6'1(He was listed at 6'4 by FSU). Still mad we passed on him. Don't think that's a good comp. Brown was technically advanced pass rush with a wide array of pass rush moves. Hughes is more of an athletically talented, watch the hell out if you miss me blocking type.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I would not be surprised one bit if Hughes measured in at 6-1. Brown and Hughes both have similar frames and explosive athletic ability, I wouldn't say Brown had a wide array of moves coming out. The spin move was his go to move and it was devastating in college, but they both have that raw freakish athleticism that makes them both a threat.

Comment

• I'm very intrigued by Koa Misi after his strong showing at the Senior Bowl where Misi showed that he can play in space and stay with running backs and tight ends in pass coverage.

Another intriguing player is Jason Worilds. He is super athletic, plays with great effort and was pretty productive for Virginia Tech. His sack numbers went down this year (only 4,5 in 2009 after posting 8 in 2008) but he had 32 quarterback hurries. I think he will put on a quite a show at the combine. From 2007:

Earned the Excalibur Award, the top honor in the strength and conditioning program, during off-season workouts Turned in a 385-pound bench press, a 420-pound front squat, a 4.49 time in the 40 and a team-best 1.55 time in the 10-yard sprint

Comment

• Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                        Okay, I know this is from way out of left field especially from me, but I think we should bring back Adalius Thomas.
                        . . . .
                        Hopefully Belichick doesn't live to regret this when the Patriots are giving QBs way too much time to throw next year and Thomas is in a Jets jersey coming after Tom Brady.
                        I wouldn't mind if they can work out the issues, kiss and make up, and get back to football. I do agree with your post but I think the loss of the big names and leaders suffered last year is exactly why Thomas should NOT have been such an ass. We needed him to step up, do his job, and help everyone else do theirs. Instead he ran his mouth and did the worst thing he could possibly do - undermine the coach when he needed him most.

Do I blame Belichick? Absolutely. He chose to pass on way too much talent that could have helped the situation. There were many good options even at ILB (Maualuga, Ellerbe, Brinkley) that would have allowed for better deployment of Thomas.

Originally posted by AntoinCD
                        Uh oh ROP just mentioned that guy from SD ... Get him FlyingElvis lol. Seriously though I don't see Porter as an option. He has made perfectly clear his dislike for the Pats and I'm not sure fans would not let them live it down should he come.
                        I actually typed his name out this morning in the other thread. It made me feel dirty.

It's ok to mention him in the way ROP has - in that he's saying there is no chance the Pats sign him. :D

I really feel that the answer is 2 OLB prospects with our first 4 picks. Preferrably Kindle/Graham at 22 and then a slider with a second round pick. Anywhere in that round would be fine since the worst case scenario would probably be a guy like Misi at 53/54. Hardy, Sapp, Hughes or Misi would all be fine. Or, if Thomas does stay grab an ILB like Spikes and we could have a lineup of Graham or Kindle / Mayo / Spikes / Thomas.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Do you guys think they would move Thomas back to inside backer if they can work out their issues and get some young pass rushers through the draft? He did play at ILB in 2007 before Colvin went down and did okay if I remember correct. He would provide the Patriots with a more physical presence inside and free Mayo up to make tackles.

Comment

• I think "working out their issues" involves Adalius moving back to the OLB spot, at least on Thomas' part.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                              Or, if Thomas does stay grab an ILB like Spikes and we could have a lineup of Graham or Kindle / Mayo / Spikes / Thomas.
                              I just soiled myself.. Except for Thomas still being here, he has to go. Trade him for a fifth or so..

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                              I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Razor View Post
                                I just soiled myself.. Except for Thomas still being here, he has to go. Trade him for a fifth or so..
                                I wouldn't be psyched about it but I'm more than willing to let stupid stuff go, assuming he decides he's willing to do the same. We really need experienced players in our LB core. The idea of Mayo being our most experienced LB is frightening.

Even if we snagged a guy like Misi with our last second we would have 3 rookie LB's starting. No thanks. Woods? No thanks. Kick Thomas back outside and tell him to earn his big paycheck this year. Put up or shut up, and maybe you can get a decent payday next year as a FA.

Plus, if we spend that last second on Misi (or some OLB/DE) then we can't grab a G or Center. I'd rather have a happy Adalius, the veteran experience he brings, the depth at LB we would have with Woods/TBC as backups and a solid replacement at C/G.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information