Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If, and it looks as though it's almost inevitable now, we do lose VW I'd like it to be this year through a trade. If a team like Denver wants to give up
    a first rounder and say a conditional pick next year that would be best case scenario. As for the 4-3 I definitely think were heding that direction. Burgess is better suited at DE if he's resigned, Mayo is better suited for the 4-3 and some of the guys drafted last year like Pryor are also bettersuited for it. What it would mean is hypothetically using Denver as the example;

We could have a legitimate shot at Dez Bryant, Joe Haden, Derrick Morgan, Bryan Bulaga, Anthony Davis etc plus have the luxury of going BPA at 22.

If VW gets traded and we are going to the 4-3 my ideal draft would be

1. Anthony Davis
    1. Sean Weatherspoon
    2. Everson Griffen
    2. Maurkice Pouncey
    2. Jahvid Best

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
      Just read a really interesting article from ESPN Insider/Football Outsiders about how the 3-4 was a great defense in the past because there weren't a lot of teams running it and so it was easy to find personnel for cheap (since other teams weren't looking for a 3-4 NT, etc), but now that the league is shifting towards the 3-4, those players are overpaid, and that the Patriots might be better off trading Wilfork for a first and third round pick or something along those lines and using those picks to try and build a 4-3 defense. I know Wilfork is a beast but he might be a little out of place in a 4-3 and those picks would really come in handy. Maybe Warren lines up at tackle, and we've got Derrick Burgess and someone else on the ends? Not exactly sure how that would work and we'd certainly need quite a few players to make it happen but it's a possibility. Just thought it was an interesting article.
      They have the DTs to play the 4-3 in Wilfork/Brace as nose tackle and Wright/Prior as under tackle. The also have the linebackers to play the scheme in Mayo (MLB), Guyton (WILL), McKenzie/Crable (SLB). But they lack the defensive ends to apply pressure. Ty Warren is not really a pass rushing threat and Banta-Cain would be really undersized as a defensive end. The only really fit would be Burgess. If they can get a guy like Aaron Kampman via free agency and one or two rookies via draft, they probably could run the scheme.

Comment

• We are built to run a 3-4 as a base, it would take a lot to change to a full time 4-3. We may not have had a dominant D like in years past, but we have the pieces in place to get back to that. We need to resign Wilfork, that is a must. That NT is the hardest position to find for that defense and you could say we have the best one in the game. We have a very good end in Warren and Mayo is a talented young ILB. We need to draft linebackers and maybe another end, we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and I would be completely OK with using 3 of them to rebuild the front 7.

I want us to stick with the 3-4 but that is just me, there is a premium of talent that projects well to the 3-4 at positions of need (OLB and DE).

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
          Give me AJ Green or Julio Jones, you can't go wrong. Michael Floyd is a monster but I'd take Jones or Green over him any day of the week, both are rare talents.
          I want to get in on the interesting 4-3/3-4 discussion going on because I have something to say about it, but this is quicker and more fun to respond to and I'm pressed for time.

Agree with all of this. AJ Green and Julio Jones are both rare talents. Personally, I think Jones is far and away a better athlete. Georgia receivers compared to Randy Moss don't usually work out that well. Green is nowhere near that fast. Might be a high 4.4 to low 4.5 guy, but not much better. He's in the Dez Bryant league of prospects. Jones is a tick above. Faster, bigger, and more physical. He's really, really being held back by McElroy. For some reason, McLiveoffmyteamssucsessroy doesn't even look his way in games. He's afraid of forcing throws, from what I've seen. This is good if you have a great running game like Bama does and you just don't want to hurt yourself with the pass, but with a wide receiver line Jones, you can gamble sometimes because he can go up and get it. He also doesn't see the field past the first ten yards, unless a team forgets to cover Marquis Maze(which they do because of Jones). It's pretty much summed up like this; AJ Green had Matt Stafford and Joe Cox(a four star recruit coming out) throwing to him. Julio Jones had John Parker Wilson and Greg McElroy throwing to him.

As far as Baldwin goes, he's my third or fourth guy. Gotta love the way he moves for a big guy, and he makes some holy **** catches too. He's supposedly timed in the 4.4 range too. I might just buy it as well.

I also really, really, really love DeAndre Brown. He's not going be to be drafted as high as Michael Floyd/Baldwin because of Southern Miss, but he was legit coming out of high school(five star recruit, 3rd best for his position) and he was probably the best receiver in the country his freshman year. This year was a down one for him, but he exploded towards the end of it when he was feeling better. When he's on, he's damn near uncoverable. Hell of a vertical threat and he's quick out of his cuts too.

Floyd, I like, but I'm not completely sold that he's Larry Fitzgerald like some people are. He's not all that fast, but he probably has the best hands of the elite junior wide receivers and he's a good route runner too. Best in terms of technique as well. He might not be able to generate separation as easily as he he did for the Irish either. We'll have to see how he comes back from that injury to really get a read on him. Before it though, he was absolutely dominant.

The unreal thing is that the next year wide receiver class doesn't end there either.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• DeAndre Brown is right there too. He had a pretty nasty injury to end an amazing freshman year, he is a super talent. I didn't see too much of him this year, all I know is that he picked Southern Miss over Ole Miss and pretty much every other major program. We wanted him bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
              DeAndre Brown is right there too. He had a pretty nasty injury to end an amazing freshman year, he is a super talent. I didn't see too much of him this year, all I know is that he picked Southern Miss over Ole Miss and pretty much every other major program. We wanted him bad.
              List of schools DeAndre Brown turned down

Florida
              Auburn
              LSU
              Ole Miss
              Tennessee
              Texas Tech

There must have been something behind that. Curious to hear it. Personally, I love it when someone pulls something like that and goes where their hear is.

Also; his last two games of the season, he had 280 yards and was averaging 30+ yards a catch.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Apparently his grades were a big issue and USM guaranteed that he'd be on the field as a freshman. I know quite a few people here who went to Ocean Springs HS and they say the only reason he isn't playing for a BCS conference school is that he wouldn't have qualified. Don't know how that worked for him at USM, but it did.

Comment

• The 3-4 vs. 4-3 vs. 3 safety? formations is definitely interesting.

Honestly, the only true talent I see in our front seven is Wilfork, Warren and Mayo. I don't think Mayo would be bad as a 4-3 MLB as he seems to be a pretty rare talent and a hard working, high IQ guy.

So really, the switch comes down to Dline. If Wilfork isn't signed the only question becomes Warren. He's currently signed through 2013. Can he succeed at UT? DE is probably a stretch but he is another solid talent that I think could still be a good player, regardless of scheme. It all seems to depend on the young Dline guys - Pryor & Brace. Maybe we're looking at a rotation of those 2 plus Warren on the inside with Burgess and some draftees/FA/trades at DE.

The big picture, especially considering it's a draft forum, is that we have a ton of picks and a ton of holes, also regardless of scheme. Even if we tag Wilfork this year we could very well expect him to be gone next year. Keep him, draft for a 4-3 front and take the extra year to implement the scheme change.

Honestly, I feel like our defense was terrible last year. So it's not like we'd be dismantling a great 3-4 in order to implement a weak 4-3.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Well it's official as per Patriots.com VW got the franchise tag. It says their top priority is a long term deal with him but I'm not sure I see a way this happens now after VW's comments on how he would feel should he be franchised. I'm really starting to feel like we need to make the best out of a bad situation and entertain trade offers because I just don't see a scenario where he will stay now

Comment

• Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                      Well it's official as per Patriots.com VW got the franchise tag. It says their top priority is a long term deal with him but I'm not sure I see a way this happens now after VW's comments on how he would feel should he be franchised. I'm really starting to feel like we need to make the best out of a bad situation and entertain trade offers because I just don't see a scenario where he will stay now
                      This. It's a smart move to franchise him though. Can't let him walk away for nothing. We could get a fairly high first rounder for him in a deal. Possibly a third rounder too. I think we all hope a long term deal is in the future though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I want him signed as well, but not at any cost. If we can get him for $8 million dollars per year or so I wouldn't mind it. But if he wants more, I say trade him for a 1st and something else. Hopefully he'll want to stay in NE just as he says he does, that should make things easier.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                        I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• I would be interested to see potential trade candidates for Wilfork. Think we're all lying if the idea of another first rounder doesn't intrigue us. This is a draft site after all.

But yeah, losing Wilfork would be a loss in a deal no matter how you look at it.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I think that two teams will definetly take a long look at VW are Broncos and Chiefs, but I doubt they'll do anything about it because of "the code". SD might be a a team willing to trade for him, so is Cleveland. Jets, Dolphins and Bills are ruled out of this since BB isn't going to trade him to a division rival. Other that that, I'm not sure. If he can play 4-3 (which I think he can) things get more complicated. Hopefully they can trade him to a NFC team.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                            I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• One team that would be an obvious trade partner would be KC however the fact they are picking so high may deter both teams. I'm not sure either team would want that trade. One possibility, which I would be not thrilled with would be both their second rounders. We need an infusion of top end talent now and this constant rebuilding with 2nd rounders is good but not great.

If they offer two seconds then I really think we have to trade up in the first for someone like Dez Bryant/Anthony Davis etc

Comment

• Yeah, I think he would be fine in a 4-3 as well. Not as natural of a fit, but he'll still have to be blocked the same way.

Another good candidate could be Washington. They already have one money tackle in Haynesworth, but I doubt he's a good fit as 3-4 NT. That's the only NFC team I could see being really interested, unfortunately. Washington doesn't really have the ammo to make the trade though. Don't think they would give away the fourth pick and I'm not sure we would want it for any other reason that to control the quarterback slot and tempt a team into trading up. They have no third round pick because of Jeremy Jarmon so that rules out a second and a third as proper compensation(even though it wouldn't be anyway) and we want nothing to do with anyone on their roster.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information