Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it comes down to Robert Quinn or Peterson/Amu....I doubt I would care either way :) Let's go Raiders! Just lose baby.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I'm on the side of a pass rusher is needed more than a CB
      Again, if Dareus and Quinn are gone and PP is on the board- **** it
      Grab an A.Smith/Kerrigan/Beal in the late 1st, early second and I'd be content
      WR only if its Jones/Green/Baldwin (late 1st/2nd)/Floyd. Not really interested in any other ones as of right now

I've noticed that BB is slowly playing Butler more and more each week.
      Hopefully, he regains his #2 CB position. If he can save us from drafting a CB then our team will be that much better post-draft

As for the Jets, I think we'll handle their D a bit better with Mankins now back and the jets not knowing who to stop in the passing game
      I don't see us losing this. Especially since they won the last game- I don't remember the last time we were swept by a division rival, ever
      -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• My position on the Pats drafting a CB is that if Peterson or Prince is there, sure. Otherwise, the Pats are going to be pairing McCourtey opposite Leigh Bodden next year (can you imagine a team bothering to attempt a pass to an outside receiver?) with Butler, Arrington, and Wilhite all developing fairly significantly (well, at least Arrington and Butler). Do the Pats really need Bodden, McCourtey, Arrington, Butler, Wilhite, and a first/second round CB? Seems like someone good would be out of a job.

Likewise for defensive line. Mike Wright has played at a Pro Bowl level. As has Wilfork. Gerrard Warren and the young guys (Pryor, Brace, Deaderick, Love) have all played very well. Put Ty Warren back in that mix... Are you kidding me?! Sure, Marcel Dareus would be beastly, but anyone else seems slightly wasteful.

Julio Jones is the WR I want for the Pats. He can operate within the current framework of the offense, which I think is important. It's like having a bigger, faster, stronger Deion Branch.

I think everyone wants Ryan Kerrigan. He's our Clay Matthews of 2011. Though I think Von Miller is more like Matthews than Kerrigan...which could be cool, too. I think Miller has a lot of potential in the Patriots defense to move around and kind of be like Mike Vrabel. Knowing this...I still want Kerrigan more for some reason...probably because I'm obsessed with making sure his nickname is Prince of Blades (which is ******* awesome - don't deny it).

Offensive tackle is a huge deal - as is center. Tough call on whether to draft an OT in the first, but Castonzo could be beastly in that offensive scheme. I like O'Dowd and Wis, but I can't see Belichick drafting a USC or Penn State player...which is why I'm thinking we might see Mike Pouncey pop up as an option at center for the Pats. His snapping problems haven't been an issue since the beginning of the season (when it was somewhat understandable), and he's obviously the most talented interior OL available.

I have a gut (don't punch it!) feeling Mankins will stay long-term. I think the general atmosphere around here and New England in-general is that he's not going anywhere. amirite?

Only thing left to talk about much is probably runningback. Leshoure for sure (yeah, rhyme).

Comment

• Brandon Harris is now ahead of Prince Amukamara for me. I'd take any of the three in the top 10 baring Marcel Dareus available.

I've upgraded Ryan Kerrigan (after getting some time to watch a purdue game :P) to my #1 OLB prospect. I just like him against the run more than Quinn now. Justin Houston has fallen to 3rd due to some lax effort in a few of his games.

---

Oh and if you are wondering "can we really beat the Jets by 15+?" The last 3 "revenge" games (divisional games that we lost the earlier game) we won by scores of 31, 20, and 17. We really need a good showing from the defense in this game but I think this could be what propels the Patriots to true front runners in the AFC.

---

edit: Mike Pouncey is not an NFL center. He definitely needs to play guard.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

• I would actually be against a CB in the first to be honest. McCourty has the left side locked down and Bodden should come back and have the right side again. Arrington and Butler are both predominantly guys who will play on the outside as well with only Wilhite as our inside guy. Bringing in PP or Amukamara would just add another body out wide which would see either Arrington or Butler let go. I would prefer Harris if he dropped to the end of the first becuase he can play both outside and inside the hashes. I see Butler as a guy with a lot of potential and Arrington is not only very solid as a back up but also offers loads on special teams. If any CB was to be let go i'd prefer it to be Wilhite. We know what we have there and it's not special.

As for the draft I see a few things.

I think they go BPA with the Raiders pick. Assuming it's within the 10-18 range, realistically some players who may be available would be

AJ Green
            Julio Jones
            Marcel Dareus
            Brandon Harris
            Prince Amukamara
            Robert Quinn
            Mark Ingram
            Ryan Kerrigan

If it's between those players I think it would be between Julio Jones and Marcel Dareus. Green is the better overall prospect at WR but Jones fits the system a whole lot better. Dareus is a potential difference maker on all three downs at DE and would give a bit of flexibility roster wise. We wouldn't need to carry that extra defensive lineman with him there. Plus we also get Ty Warren back. Our rotation there could be Ty Warren, V Weezy and Dareus starting with Mike Wright, Myron Pryor, Ron Brace and Brandon Deaderick spelling them.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• Through doing a mock draft of my own and looking at a few others on this site I was thinking about the possiblility of going DE in the first round(I commented a bit on one of the mocks about this). A lot of people have pretty much anyone from Dareus to Clayborn to Heyward to Jordan etc going to the Pats. It got me thinking about what does BB look for in his defensive linemen. To the casual observer a 5 tech is still a tweener. Someone who's too big and slow to play defensive end and too small to play defensive tackle. But is that how the Pats front office view it?

Look at the current players on our roster who have played defensive end at some stage this year;

Vince Wilfork, Gerard Warren, Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick, Myron Pryor, Mike Wright, Kyle Love. Not to mention Ty Warren who is out this year. Only one of those players(Mike Wright) is under 300lbs and he is a situational pass rusher who isn't overly stout at the point of attack.

When you look at BB's prototype for the position(Richard Seymour) you see further evidence for this. He was 6'6 310lbs.

This leads me to believe that quite a lot of the proposed 5 techs in the draft will not be valued in the first by the Pats. Players like Clayborn and Jordan both in and around 6'4 285lbs. This is too small IMO to be an effective 3 down player in the Pats system and may rule them out all together. However players like JJ Watt, Jared Crick and Cameron Heyward are all 6'6 and between 285-295lbs. Those extra two inches allow them to add more weight without losing much effectiveness and the added length is a bonus.

I think the list of potential DEs drafted in the first/early second by the Pats is down to

Dareus
              Heyward
              Watt
              Ballard
              Crick

I would be surprised looking at BB's past history of drafting and the way the current roster is constructed if they went any other way at the position.

Since the 2005 draft the Pats have drafted only one defensive lineman(not DEs to play LB) who was under 300lbs. That was Kareem Brown in 2007 who played a whopping 0 games for the Patriots

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• Great points on the DE's.

Both positions (DE & CB) seem to have a similar tone: We have solid options / depth and aren't really hurting for players there but a true stud would make our D amazing. I think it's a bit too hopeful to expect Bodden to come back from injury and be great. We all liked him as a system guy with good ball skills but I don't think anyone will argue the difference between Bodden a kid like McCourty is vast.

I have no problem drafting a top CB, cutting Wilhite and rolling into 2011 with McCourty / Bodden / RookieCB / Butler / Arrington. Force Bodden to be a balla' or a backup and give Butler more room to grow w/o turning to toast on the field.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Yeah we have our true stud I think in McCourty at CB, but now we need our next game changer at DE and OLB. Dareus, Heyward, Fairley, and possibly a few others have the potential to be that kind of player in my opinion. Allen Bailey should be available early round 2 as of now, but he should do very well in workouts and may find his way well into the first. At OLB, Ryan Kerrigan is the guy for us in my opinion. Great fit, talented, high motor, and a pretty complete player from a school with a good pedigree at the position.

It would be hard to pass on Patrick Peterson or Prince, but I think if one of the top DE's or OLB's are available with the Raider pick then we have to take them. Can't see either of the top corners falling to our pick, so there we take which ever we didn't take out of DE and OLB with the Raiders pick or OL, maybe WR or RB but that isn't really what I'd prefer. Then we have Carolina's pick early in the second that can get BPA for one of those need positions.

Comment

• Just wanted to share a quick story with you guys, thought you'd get a kick out of it. I was watching the game on thursday with my family and the camera panned to Bill real quick, he was of course rocking the sweater with the cut off sleeves. my sister said "‎I was going to buy you a Patriots hoodie for christmas but I don't want to spend forty dollars on one just to have you cut the sleeves off." We all had a good laugh

Go Pats!

Comment

• Dareus is 6'2.6". He might not fit what Belichick wants in a 34 DE.
                      **** her in da *****!

Comment

• Drafting a top five talent at corner would just be too hard to pass up. We've already got one side covered up pretty good, cover the other and the entire defense becomes easier to build. It's a passing league these days, gotta remember that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                          Drafting a top five talent at corner would just be too hard to pass up. We've already got one side covered up pretty good, cover the other and the entire defense becomes easier to build. It's a passing league these days, gotta remember that.
                          Hows this working out for the Jets right now haha.

Originally posted by WMD
                          Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                          Originally posted by gpngc
                          I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                            Hows this working out for the Jets right now haha.
                            Pretty well, all things considering. Allows them to blitz a ton more than we do.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                              Pretty well, all things considering. Allows them to blitz a ton more than we do.
                              Kyle wilson hasnt really been what they were hoping for, and they can blitz because of their D-line and Linebackers plus Revis & Cro. Whens the last time BB picked in the 1st the same position two years in a row? I just don't see us doing it.

Originally posted by WMD
                              Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                              Originally posted by gpngc
                              I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                                Kyle wilson hasnt really been what they were hoping for, and they can blitz because of their D-line and Linebackers plus Revis & Cro. Whens the last time BB picked in the 1st the same position two years in a row? I just don't see us doing it.
                                Sedrick Ellis, Sione Pouha, Mike Devito
                                Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott, Davis Harris, Calvin Pace

Not really scary. Those guys can be aggressive because of the corners, which you even included. Wilson is a work in project, but locking down the down field threats allows them to stack the box.

I would be against drafting a corner in any sane situation to, but we're looking at Patrick Peterson and Amu here, two RARE guys. How often do you see corners worthy of going top five? Overdrafted, sure, but worthy of it? Not often. Two in this years draft and we might have a shot at one. I'm ok getting a guy who could be as good as Nnamdi is a few years and have another potential star playing opposite them. Doesn't hurt that we can get Kerrigan, or maybe even Robert Quinn, in the same round.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information