This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Don Vito View Post

-The pressure was coming from the interior, I know it can't be blamed on one person but every time we face a 3-4 team with a good NT it seems the NT dominates. We need to look for a center, love Koppen and he doesn't deserve all the blame, but it's time to groom a replacement.
    Some of it isn't him being beat, it's just flatout missing assignments. Raji came through unblocked once. That's absolutely inexcusable. He's been a solid, steady starter for us and a great team guy, but you're absolutely right. Time to find a replacement.

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
    -We need to do everything we can to get Mankins back here, the OL has had better games but we need Mankins. He is a monster and it is clear that he is the leader of our line. Vollmer has blossomed into a stud as well.
    Vollmer held his own against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. It's time to end the RT experiment and shift him to LT where he belongs.

-A first round DE looked like a strong possibility last night. Wilfork beasted as usual, but other than that we were getting worked in the trenches.
    Poster game for a first round DE even. That was not pretty at all.

-I can't say enough about our tight ends. Crumpler is a great blocker, Gronkowski will be one of the best TE's in the league, and Hernandez is a matchup nightmare who is not useless is a blocker. Gronkowski threw some nice blocks last night and Hernandez scored both of his TD's while being covered by DB's, one being Woodson.
    Yeah, it's such a studly group. We're able to do so many things well with them. Prepared for any situation. People have mentioned that's what is going to be copied next year, trying to find and use guys like this.

-We missed Spikes badly last night. That looked like a game from last season, he has made a huge difference on our defense and we need him back.
    It's a very good thing we're getting a completely healthy Spikes back at the end of the season. Some of those plays up the middle would not have happened with him there. Guyton and Mayo don't even look to plug up the gap, they just sort of chase the guy once he's through the hole.

-Dane Fletcher could be a guy who has a real future here. He is a rookie and definitely looks lost at times (James Jones' near first down to lead to the last play of the game), but he has a lot of talent and plays hard. He has the ability to play inside and outside, and for a guy who is a rookie that was a small school defensive end last year you have to be impressed.
    That was such a heady play he made. Recognized that there was no one in his area and just exploded on the blitz. I think he's already earned a roster spot for next year. We have nothing to worry about when Guyton departs.

-
    How about Meriweather taking out McCourty on that long TD? Sometimes I wonder what the hell he is doing, other times he looks great.
    He's going to get chewed out on that and deservedly so. No business doing that. Sort of sad. I really think he buys into what we do, but I'm not sure he's a fit scheme wise.

-Kyle Arrington and McCourty had great games. Darius Butler looked like **** again.
    Arrington has really picked it up. Doesn't give up anything after the catch and he's getting better in coverage. Butler does look like hot **** at this point.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
      Some of it isn't him being beat, it's just flatout missing assignments. Raji came through unblocked once. That's absolutely inexcusable. He's been a solid, steady starter for us and a great team guy, but you're absolutely right. Time to find a replacement.
      Yeah I remember that on Raji's second sack. Came untouched through Koppen and either Wendell or Connolly, don't remember if Connolly was out at that point. That left all 5-7 180 of Danny Woodhead to take on the 330 Raji one on one, love Danny but that isn't going to happen ever.

Comment

• That's really just plain unacceptable. Letting these 320 pound+ guys get free shots at Brady on a game to game basis is just not a good way to go about things.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I think our run defense got a bit of a bad rap in the game. Sure, it was ugly, but we were missing a lot of guys who would normally be there. Our line consisted of Wilfork, Deaderick, Gerard Warren (who had only practiced once this week with a knee injury), Kyle Love, and Louis Leonard. We just got gassed. Brace, Wright, and Pryor will all hopefully be back at some point this year, and Brace is one of our top run stuffers. We also have Brandon Spikes out due to his suspension and obviously Ty Warren on IR.

G. Warren - Wilfork - Deaderick
          Ninkovich - Guyton - Mayo - Cunningham

does not compare to

T. Warren - Wilfork - Brace
          Ninkovich - Spikes - Mayo - Cunningham

in terms of defending the run. Sure, we could use a stud along the line, but it's not our most pressing need. We all know what happens when Brady gets some time to throw. It's time to replace Dan Koppen with someone stronger that can anchor against nose tackles.

Comment

• Also, anyone really excited about our CBs next year? I really like what we have at the position. McCourty is a stud at LCB, Bodden will be back to take over at RCB, and we can let Arrington/Wilhite/Buter battle it out for the 3/4/5 spots. Wilhite was a disaster as a starter, but in the slot this year he played really well. Arrington profiles as a great slot guy as well.

Comment

• I agree that C is a bigger need than DE but I still think DE is a need until Brace shows he's ready to make progress
              Looks like he still has a conditioning from his past playing time amount

This draft looks like it has no Cs worthy of a 1st rd pick (I like S.Wisneiski as RG for us)
              but there are some studs worthy of 1st rd picks though
              so while I agree that C is a more pressing need... I can see DE picked before a C
              -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                I agree that C is a bigger need than DE but I still think DE is a need until Brace shows he's ready to make progress
                I don't think Brace will ever be a starter at DE. He's a situational player there. Potentially a good NT, but never a fulltime DE.
                Last edited by ElectricEye; 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Yeah I remember that on Raji's second sack. Came untouched through Koppen and either Wendell or Connolly, don't remember if Connolly was out at that point. That left all 5-7 180 of Danny Woodhead to take on the 330 Raji one on one, love Danny but that isn't going to happen ever.
                  It was Koppen & Mankins. Clearly a miscommunication between the two since I think we can all agree there is no protection scheme that will ever call for Woodhead to block the NT. lol

Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                  I agree that C is a bigger need than DE but I still think DE is a need until Brace shows he's ready to make progress

This draft looks like it has no Cs worthy of a 1st rd pick (I like S.Wisneiski as RG for us)
                  but there are some studs worthy of 1st rd picks though
                  so while I agree that C is a more pressing need... I can see DE picked before a C
                  This is dead on. C should be a great value at the (hopefully!) 32 / 33 spot. DE pretty much has to be the pick at 20ish now. Vince is a stud but should not be playing as much DE as he has this & last year.

Brace is interesting. I think EE is right that he looks like a solid DT prospect at this point. DE could still be a possibility if he can overcome what still seems to be conditioning issues.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Brace just does not have the body to play there fulltime. You bring him in on run situations, but he has severe stamina issues too. Our needs should be OLB and DE for the first round for sure at this point. C/OL and still maybe a WR in the second, although I think we can all agree that we can be more comfortable with that position than we were a month ago right now with Welker stepping up and doing damage on the outside with Branch.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Yea, I'm a whole lot more comfortable at the WR position than earlier this year.
                      I'd still like to add a big bodied field stretcher via trade/FA though
                      I don't want to draft a WR unless its one of the elite ones

OLB obviously will need to be addressed

Comment

• I think it's safe to stop looking for a top tier receiver. Hankerson is a guy who is intriguing and can likely be had in the later rounds. Bring something to the table that none of our receivers have. DeVier Posey is another guy who can be had in that range should be come out that could be a good fit. Szcur is a perfect fit scheme wise and is a guy I can see us falling in love with.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I think Hankerson would be a great fit if he's available at the bottom of the second. DE, OLB, and OL are definitely our top needs and I really hope we address those early. I could really see us holding of on OL though with some of these late round young guys we've brought in the last few years, maybe the staff has faith in them. Ted Larsen was drafted as a center last year and maybe we give him a shot. It is really hard to project what we will do, again like OL I could see us being happy with what we have at DE and not take one early and the same goes for OLB. It is so stressful to project what we will do with the draft.

Comment

I think Hankerson would be a great fit if he's available at the bottom of the second. DE, OLB, and OL are definitely our top needs and I really hope we address those early. I could really see us holding of on OL though with some of these late round young guys we've brought in the last few years, maybe the staff has faith in them. Ted Larsen was drafted as a center last year and maybe we give him a shot. It is really hard to project what we will do, again like OL I could see us being happy with what we have at DE and not take one early and the same goes for OLB. It is so stressful to project what we will do with the draft.
                            Larsen is playing for Tampa Bay right now, starting even I think. I liked him, but we don't have him anymore haha.

It is very hard to project, even for the offensive line pick. That unit is probably the most unstable one we have right now. I could see three starters being gone next year. I think keeping Mankins needs to be a priority at the moment. Maybe the new CBA will help us do that somehow, setting a pay scale where he knows he can't get Evans money.

Light NEEDS to go, and Koppen probably needs to as well with all of the big NT's the AFC East right now. But I would rather deal with Koppen for another year over Light. Koppen can still play, just not very well. Light is a bum at this point. Vollmer will start at LT next year. Can't see anyway he doesn't.

If we keep Mankins and get rid of Light, that gives us the ability to draft a tackle. I actually sort of like this crop of linemen for us. Solder is a great fit here and could be a STUD with some coaching. He will likely have to be selected earlier than we should be comfortable with, but it could be very, very worth it in the end. I could justify that pick in the end if we were absolutely sure about him and there wasn't an OLB or a DE worth selecting there.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I think the Raiders have played us out of contention with an elite WR prospect
                              With that said, I have no confidence in our coaching staff's ability to develop WRs

Comment

• Wow. I was watching the Bucs game the other day and they mentioned Ted Larsen at left guard, and I didn't even think to check it out. That is crazy that he already is gone and starting for another team, I guess good for him. Well then I guess that cements the fact that we do really need OL help badly haha.

Mankins need to get locked up, we need to take a center and a tackle as well. I really think OL might be what we try to rebuild considering how much we are aging there, Light and Koppen are close to the end. Vollmer gives us the flexibility to take either a LT or RT as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information