This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
    Larry Fitzgerald will not be a Patriot. The asking price is 1 + 3 + 4, which is way too rich for Belichick's blood, considering Fitzgerald will also be demanding a sky-high contract. We'd all love to see him here, but it's not worth giving up that much money and that many picks. I'd put the chances of him landing here at about 10%. There are also some quality wide receivers available in free agency - Vincent Jackson, Sidney Rice, Malcolm Floyd, etc. The Patriots showed interest in trading for Jackson but got rejected by Kraft, so he's unlikely, but if New England felt like backing up the Brinks truck for someone, Sidney Rice would be a nice consolation prize and allow the team to keep three high draft picks. I'd like Floyd as a 6'5" vertical threat for Brady, and he'd likely come much cheaper than any of the guys previously mentioned.
    The asking price is rarely the actual price. I think BB would pull the trigger on a deal for Fitz if the cost is a reasonable one, rather than a highest paid WR contract. BB has to see the same issue we all see with 7 zillion draft picks over two years - there's just not enough roster space for that many young guys.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Originally posted by descendency View Post
      Richard Seymour
      Adalius Thomas
      that was a while ago. before the constant "draft pick compilation" age

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

• Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
        Larry Fitzgerald will not be a Patriot. The asking price is 1 + 3 + 4, which is way too rich for Belichick's blood, considering Fitzgerald will also be demanding a sky-high contract. We'd all love to see him here, but it's not worth giving up that much money and that many picks. I'd put the chances of him landing here at about 10%. There are also some quality wide receivers available in free agency - Vincent Jackson, Sidney Rice, Malcolm Floyd, etc. The Patriots showed interest in trading for Jackson but got rejected by Kraft, so he's unlikely, but if New England felt like backing up the Brinks truck for someone, Sidney Rice would be a nice consolation prize and allow the team to keep three high draft picks. I'd like Floyd as a 6'5" vertical threat for Brady, and he'd likely come much cheaper than any of the guys previously mentioned.
        Considering the amount of players that have stuck from the last 3 draft classes (over 60% of the roster) and the Patriots' 2011 Draft outlook (10 picks?), that's an easy price to pay for Fitzgerald.

Considering the contracts and age at the WR position (one of the older and more volatile position groups for the Pats), the lack of success the Patriots have had with WRs through the draft, and who Fitz is as a player and person...I'd give up those picks to lock that position down with a HoF player for the next 6+ years. ABSOLUTELY worth it.

As mentioned, the Patriots have almost completely overhauled their roster with youth while remaining one of the best teams in the NFL. I fear bringing in too much youth at this point, to be honest. The team is close to having overhauled 80% of its roster with rookies over the last 4 drafts (including 2011). Rookies aren't going to take this team to the next level at this point, it's going to be a piece like Fitzgerald.

The team is still going to bring in a lot of new young talent, but I'm definitely in favor of getting a proven dominant player who is an amazing person like Fitzgerald at the cost of about a quarter of the draft picks the Patriots control.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
          The asking price is rarely the actual price. I think BB would pull the trigger on a deal for Fitz if the cost is a reasonable one, rather than a highest paid WR contract. BB has to see the same issue we all see with 7 zillion draft picks over two years - there's just not enough roster space for that many young guys.
          Bingo. They're going to be dealing some picks. And it might be on the same level as the 2007 draft where they're just really happy with the guys they have and will add a couple pieces, but are more interested in turning the picks they can into future picks and definite veteran upgrades.

Honestly, I'm really happy with the current roster. Getting some key guys back healthy and the development of the young players alone is going to make this team better than 2010 by leaps and bounds. The key for the off-season is to find the right mix with a few new players.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
            Considering the amount of players that have stuck from the last 3 draft classes (over 60% of the roster) and the Patriots' 2011 Draft outlook (10 picks?), that's an easy price to pay for Fitzgerald.

Considering the contracts and age at the WR position (one of the older and more volatile position groups for the Pats), the lack of success the Patriots have had with WRs through the draft, and who Fitz is as a player and person...I'd give up those picks to lock that position down with a HoF player for the next 6+ years. ABSOLUTELY worth it.

As mentioned, the Patriots have almost completely overhauled their roster with youth while remaining one of the best teams in the NFL. I fear bringing in too much youth at this point, to be honest. The team is close to having overhauled 80% of its roster with rookies over the last 4 drafts (including 2011). Rookies aren't going to take this team to the next level at this point, it's going to be a piece like Fitzgerald.

The team is still going to bring in a lot of new young talent, but I'm definitely in favor of getting a proven dominant player who is an amazing person like Fitzgerald at the cost of about a quarter of the draft picks the Patriots control.
            fitz is going to command so much money. he will not be a patriot. pats wont pay that. its a good price to pay to trade him, but the pats wont give the money. i think we have a chance of getting two impact rookies atleast in this draft, and they could help take this team to a new level, especially if we get an OLB. you cant assume rookies wont make an impact, look at this year, they were key parts of our team
            Last edited by proshoota25; 02-04-2011, 09:25 PM.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

• The key is finding someone that can at least touch an opposing QB for once.

Originally posted by WMD
              Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
              Originally posted by gpngc
              I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• The key is finding someone that can at least touch an opposing QB for once.

Originally posted by WMD
                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                Originally posted by gpngc
                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                  The key is finding someone that can at least touch an opposing QB for once.
                  HEY!! Cunningham gets a few fingers(sometimes a palm) on a jersey every once in a while.

Comment

• Won us a game by doing so even...but we do need our Clay Matthews.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I really think we're one elite pass rusher away from playing in the Super Bowl.
                      I'd love it if we got to win the SuperBowl in the Jets/Giants stadium.
                      How great would that be to celebrate on BOTH their fields at the same time? lol
                      -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• I think we're at that point too. I'm not expecting an elite pass rusher right away from this draft class though barring something spectacular. Someone with some potential who can come in and contribute and has upside going forward is more realistic and I think we could make a deep post-season run with that too along with some help on the defensive line. Ideally, we get a defensive end who can effect both the passing game and the run game along with said pass rusher.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Right now I'm hoping for:

1. Aldon Smith
                          1. Stefen Wisniewski
                          2. Muhammad Wilkerson
                          2. Danny Watkins

Comment

• I am very high on Smith and Watkins, especially at the end of round 2. I like Wisniewski and think he would be a very good fit here for what we like to do, I just don't know if he warrants a first round selection. It isn't up to me though, if our staff likes him enough we will take him when we want, I just don't know if he is a Nick Mangold/Alex Mack type prospect. I will admit that I don't know too much about Wilkerson, but we do need a 5-tech and I know you are pretty high on him ROP.

Comment

• I'd like Cam Jordan over any LB with our 1st pick at this point. I think we can get a quality Pass rusher at 27/33.

I'm liking Hankerson alot too, but we can't neglect the OL for the pretty positions.
                              Breed's QB Philosophy:
                              Originally posted by Breed
                              At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

• An all Pac 10 first round of Cam Jordan and Brooks Reed would be ideal for me. Think both of those guys can come in and be productive right away and have a lot of upside going forward too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information