Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think our D has had more 43 looks recently but I don't think we're abandoning the odd front though.
    I think injuries and lack of depth forced us into the 43 looks

As for Haynesworth, I remember reading he didn't mind the 34... he just didn't want to play NT.
    He obviously won't be forced to play that here...
    -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Per FOX Sports' Adam Caplan, Albert Haynesworth forfeited his guaranteed 2011 salary ($5.4 million) by skipping 2010 minicamps with the Redskins.
      Thus, the Pats can release Haynesworth quickly if he becomes a problem and be on the hook for zero monetary commitment. It's still not a "no-risk" deal; New England did surrender a future fifth-round pick while gambling Haynesworth will be a good soldier in their 3-4 defense, something he refused to be under Mike Shanahan. The Patriots play 50 percent nickel alignments, and we suspect that's where they're hoping Haynesworth helps the most. Jul 28, 8:41 AM
      source

He's an easy cut if he decides to continue his crybaby, no-heart, all-quit antics.

It will still be a very interesting contract situation to monitor, though. His contract is 6.5M / 8.5M / 10.5M / 11.5M for 2012 - 2015, respectively, and I can't see any scenario where the Pats actually absorb that deal. He's either "restructuring" (by which I mean taking a huge paycut) or he's a one-and-done.

Nalej is right - he didn't want to play NT, which was the source of his malcontent. Still, my money is on Fat Al being cut before the season begins. This guy has never displayed the heart required to be a stud football player. Unless it's a contract year, he doesn't show up.

Go ahead . . . just for fun . . . you know you want to go watch him laying on the ground vs. the Iggles.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• ugh @ poison pill.... looks more and more like a one and done max

Comment

• Yup. That part is probably worth posting. Same source.

2/27/2009: Signed a seven-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $41 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus, all of his 2009-2011 base salaries, and a $21 million guaranteed option bonus in the second year. Haynesworth is due a $29 million "poison pill" in 2013, effectively making it a four-year, $48.2 million deal. Another $15 million is available through incentives. 2011: $5.4 million, 2012: $6.7 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus), 2013: $8.5 million (+ $20 million "discretionary signing bonus" + $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31 = Poison Pill Year), 2014: $10.3 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31), 2015: $11.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31), 2016: Free Agent

Maybe 2 years, as 6.7M in 2012 could be a nice deal for the "motivated" Fat Al. But my money still says he never plays a down here. Then again, you have to think the Pats FO has talked to the guy and feels like he's willing to put in at least some effort.

Comment

• Doesn't matter if its 1 or 2 years. I would guess we went after Cullen Jenkins and he was too expensive, so this is the fallback plan until the draft/FA next season.
            Breed's QB Philosophy:
            Originally posted by Breed
            At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

• I'm much more interested in Fat Al than Jenkins. There's a good reason Green Bay let him walk.

And there's something I never thought I'd say . . .

It's also a 5th round pick in 2013, which will likely be the last pick of the round. ;)

Comment

• Patriots cut DT Marcus Stroud

Before he had a chance to play for the team, 33-year old defensive tackle Marcus Stroud has been released from the Patriots. Once considered a dominant defensive lineman, he had slowed in recent years and was considered a rotational player moving forwards. He struggled in Buffalo's 3-4 defense last year and underwent a shoulder surgery in January, which had apparently not healed yet, so the release seems to be due to a combination of the team's depth at the position following the Albert Haynesworth acquisition and Stroud's lack of health.

Comment

• Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                  Patriots cut DT Marcus Stroud

Before he had a chance to play for the team, 33-year old defensive tackle Marcus Stroud has been released from the Patriots. Once considered a dominant defensive lineman, he had slowed in recent years and was considered a rotational player moving forwards. He struggled in Buffalo's 3-4 defense last year and underwent a shoulder surgery in January, which had apparently not healed yet, so the release seems to be due to a combination of the team's depth at the position following the Albert Haynesworth acquisition and Stroud's lack of health.
                  If I weren't so lazy, I'd go find the post where I predicted he'd be gone before preseason.

Comment

• In "take it with a grain of salt" news, another forum had a post claiming Matt Willliamson had NE as the top suitor for Kiwi. I can't find anything that talks about it aside from his blog stating Kiwi would be a good fit for NE and Buffalo. No credible source otherwise mentioning it.

Bush to Miami . . . Ronnie Brown has to be done there now. Bush / Thomas is a nice 1-2 punch.

Comment

• Is Ricky done there too then?

I predicted he'd be cut just an hour ago somewhere on this board lol

Comment

• I think Ricky will probably re-sign with them. He shouldn't cost much and is a decent backup for the rookie. Expecting Thomas to go 16 games would be stupid.

It's entirely possible they still re-sign Ronnie, though.

Comment

• I'd like to see us sign Ricky Williams.
                          Breed's QB Philosophy:
                          At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

• Why?

10char

Comment

• Good RB, I'd take him over lawfirm.
                              Breed's QB Philosophy:
                              At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

• I don't think he's better than BJGE at this point in his career. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other . . . except Ricky would cost more.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information