X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea, ILB, I don't see a need there. It's our deepest position
    -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Maybe they see Crowder as a possibility for 4-3 strongside linebacker? He is a good run defender but only okay in pass coverage. Regardless, it's hard to get behind this potential signing - Crowder isn't exactly easy to root for.

Comment

• So..... It's been pretty much mentioned on every team board so I might as well bring it up here.... Taylor Mays is reportedly on the block.

I like the idea of bringing him in to see what he can do. BB has been trying forever to get that big safety/linebacker hybrid, first it was Tank Williams and now it's Josh Barrett. The way I see it is that the Pats have 3 safeties take up a majority of the playing time in Meriweather/Sanders/Chung, but at the 4th safety spot I don't really see a guy who would be significantly better than Mays. It may take a year or 2, but I think he could carve out a role on this team. He is clearly a superior athlete to those other players we've tried at that hybrid position, and with the changes in formations I could see him playing some WLB for us.

It's been a year of taking risks on high upside guys like Mallett, Haynesworth, and Cannon. If we could trade for him with a late round pick it may be worth it to bring him in. Plus, BB could probably stash him away in one of those hush hush IR moves.

Comment

• **** Crowder. Seriously. One of the guys I dislike the most in the NFL, really. Can't believe we're even considering him. If he was an exceptional player, I could buy it....but he isn't.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Word is no one is biting on T.Mays and he will probably be cut.
            If so, I'd just wait til he was

Comment

• Mark Anderson signed. Good move, I think. He hasn't been good in awhile, but he's got a good package of physical tools (ran a 4.61 coming out at the same weight) and is still pretty young. He had 4 sacks in limited playing time last year and has never been given the opportunity to stand up and rush before, which I personally think is the best fit for him. I think he can do what Tully did for us pretty easily. Still has some upside too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• His 4 sacks is second on the team last year. I'll take it.

Comment

• This will be your long snapper next year:

#Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• That's actually good, considering Katula sucks.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• It's Belichicks son if you were wondering.
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Yeah, I heard he made the team. Pretty cool stuff. Shame it's just as a longsnap guy haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Minimum salary is still a very comfy 6 figures.

I'm starting FG kicking lessons for my 3 year old tomorrow. lol

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Well he didn't make it yet but he has a good shot. He played lacrosse for 4 years so not a bad way to spend your last year of eligibility. It also helps that Belichick and Schiano are buddy buddy.
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I'm sure it doesn't. Good luck to him. I'm sure there's some film room position here for him if it doesn't work out.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Reiss is reporting that Solder is still receiving all the reps with the 1's so far;

Solder remains with first team. Rookie offensive tackle Nate Solder remained with the first team offensive line, at left tackle, as veteran Matt Light continues to be held out of practice for undisclosed reasons. Solder's height and overall length seem to be a big asset for the first-round pick, helping to keep rushers at bay. Solder was also right alongside guard Logan Mankins in the mix as the team went through running game drills.
                                I wouldn't like to see him handed the job, but I would be very excited if he earned it.

Here's a broader picture of how the first year guys are doing;

OXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Quick-hit thoughts from the Patriots' nine-player draft class in training camp:

Nate Solder (1st round, 17th overall) -- Took part in his first practice Thursday and his size stands out. When he sets in his stance, it is still difficult for defenders to see over him because of his height (6-foot-8). At one point, he got bull-rushed by defensive end Eric Moore in one-on-one blocking drills, driven back into the pocket. That led to some instant coaching from Dante Scarnecchia. On his next rep, Solder got his hands on sixth-round pick Markell Carter, extended his arms, and it was over.

Ras-I Dowling (2nd round, 33rd overall) -- Cornerback took part in just one practice and has been sidelined since. A slow start after arriving in camp late.

Shane Vereen (2nd round, 56th overall) -- Has been part of just 1 1/2 practices, leaving Wednesday night's session after pulling up. He looked fast in the time he was on the field.

Stevan Ridley (3rd round, 73rd overall) -- Of all rookies, he's had the most extended opportunity (along with TE Lee Smith), a result of arriving on time and being at a position (running back) where several players couldn't practice until Aug. 4. His hands look like a work in progress, while his running style is hard-charging.

Ryan Mallett (3rd round, 74th overall) -- He doesn't get a lot of reps behind quarterbacks Tom Brady and Brian Hoyer. For example, on Thursday, he had just one play when the clubs were finishing up red-zone work. Some of his most extended time comes at the end of sessions when top-of-the-roster players are running on the second field. The ball comes out of his hands effortlessly. Mallett talked about his desire to improve footwork and he's already made some strides in that area.

Marcus Cannon (5th round, 138th overall) -- Has opened camp on the active/non-football injury list and thus hasn't practiced. Director of player personnel Nick Caserio said he's still working through some things, but it's been great for the team to have him around.

Lee Smith (5th round, 159th overall) -- Benefitting from being an on-time arrival, Smith was lining up next to Rob Gronkowski from Day 1 and looks primed to assume an Alge Crumpler-type blocking role in 2011. He's shown solid hands the few times footballs have been thrown in his direction.

Markell Carter (6th round, 194th overall) -- Has lined up at 4-3 defensive end and received some good second-team reps opposite rookie free agent Alex Silvestro. Watched him get tied up by Nate Solder on Thursday. Think he could benefit from a year in the team's strength program as he navigates the big jump from Central Arkansas to the NFL.

Malcolm Williams (7th round, 219th overall) -- With so many cornerbacks on the roster, his reps have been limited. The main area he shows up is special teams when the team breaks down and focuses on that area of the game.

ROOKIE FREE AGENTS: In terms of repetitions, defensive end Alex Silvestro (Rutgers) and tight end Will Yeatman (Maryland) have received more opportunity than one might think for an undrafted player. But overall, more time is needed to assess this crop of undrafted players.
                                Also, word is Gronk has been tearing it up in TC and looks to be the best position player we have going right now. I think a lot of us expect a big year from him. Early indications are that he can live up to that billing. 700+ yards with double digit touchdowns might be within his reach statistically. I would be enthralled with last years production and less mental mistakes, personally, but a step up would be fantastic.
                                Last edited by ElectricEye; 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information