Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not pathetic to think we could be better because we entirely could. We've been one of the more consistently disappointing teams for a few years now without addressing any of the things that got us there. We're also watching the very issues we refused to address until recently get worse and worse. I don't know about you, but I'm not content with having a team that's not capable of winning a championship when you've got the best quarterback in the NFL in the twilight of his prime.

I appreciate everything the coaching staff/front office has done for us. They've re-invented the way people see the game in the region and had one of the best runs in the history of the sport. That doesn't mean they get a free pass for putting out a team that can't play defense for multiple years.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
      It's not pathetic to think we could be better because we entirely could. We've been one of the more consistently disappointing teams for a few years now without addressing any of the things that got us there. We're also watching the very issues we refused to address until recently get worse and worse. I don't know about you, but I'm not content with having a team that's not capable of winning a championship when you've got the best quarterback in the NFL in the twilight of his prime.

I appreciate everything the coaching staff/front office has done for us. They've re-invented the way people see the game in the region and had one of the best runs in the history of the sport. That doesn't mean they get a free pass for putting out a team that can't play defense for multiple years.
      This, at some point excuses need to stop being made, our defense is just terrible if not the worst in the league right now. I do think were missing talent, people may not be playing at the level they could but we need to start hitting on some draft picks on the defensive side of the ball, and for once in his god damn life BB needs to address the ******* pass rush. Two straight games without a sack it pathetic.

Originally posted by WMD
      Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
      Originally posted by gpngc
      I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• I'm actually slightly encouraged by the defensive performance. It was by far their best game of the season, but with that said it was pretty terrible. They played most of the game without Mayo, Wright, Haynesworth, Bodden, and Dowling. Now a lot of those guys are injury prone, but I still am optimistic that by the end of the year this defense will be better. There is a lot of talent on this side of the ball, and I think it has to eventually improve. McCourty and Bodden have been terrible and I don't think that'll last. I think if Wright and Haynesworth can ever get healthy that might give us at least some guys who can collapse the middle of the pocket. So far our pass rush has just been Carter and a QB can easily avoid just him.

Every team except the Packers have major issues right now, and it's too early to say that these things can't work themselves out to a degree. We're 3-1 and have the best offense in the NFL. I like our collection of talent on defense, and I honestly think we'll level off eventually. We still won't be able to rush the passer, but that doesn't mean we're done.

Comment

• Originally posted by cmarq83 View Post
          I'm actually slightly encouraged by the defensive performance. It was by far their best game of the season, but with that said it was pretty terrible. They played most of the game without Mayo, Wright, Haynesworth, Bodden, and Dowling. Now a lot of those guys are injury prone, but I still am optimistic that by the end of the year this defense will be better. There is a lot of talent on this side of the ball, and I think it has to eventually improve. McCourty and Bodden have been terrible and I don't think that'll last. I think if Wright and Haynesworth can ever get healthy that might give us at least some guys who can collapse the middle of the pocket. So far our pass rush has just been Carter and a QB can easily avoid just him.

Every team except the Packers have major issues right now, and it's too early to say that these things can't work themselves out to a degree. We're 3-1 and have the best offense in the NFL. I like our collection of talent on defense, and I honestly think we'll level off eventually. We still won't be able to rush the passer, but that doesn't mean we're done.
          This is a very fair take and I agree with all of it. I just resent the entire mind-set of "it'll work itself out". That hasn't worked out for a few years now. We're a bad, finesse defensive team and we should call it like it is.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I think the level of talent on the defensive side of the ball is up there with the best teams in the NFL. Something's just not working. Maybe the talent is in the wrong places... Who knows. It seems like they're just losing the 1-on-1 match-ups this year and need to make adjustments. I see this team improving significantly during the BYE week. They simply can't address all of the issues on top of game planning during a regular week.

Comment

• Fun Fact - Vince Wilfork has the same amount of interceptions as Scrabble and Revis combined!

Comment

• The problem isn't at OLB. It's at DE/DT. They haven't had a good young DL (outside of Wilfork) in ages.
                **** her in da *****!

Comment

• I think we've got a linebacker issue too. We've had a lot of defensive breakdowns against tight ends and backs as well as giving up a lot of yards of broken plays to quarterbacks. Inconsistent against the run at times as well. There's just really not much to like about what we do on defense. I felt pretty good about the secondary coming into the year...but that's been exposed as a massive problem as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by descendency View Post
                    The problem isn't at OLB. It's at DE/DT. They haven't had a good young DL (outside of Wilfork) in ages.
                    Yeah, they built up a line with Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren, but never really were able to build a nice flow of players through those positions. Problem was that as soon as the Pats got their defense built, everyone switched to the 3-4.

The talent is clearly there at most of the positions and they even have nice depth everywhere except safety. It's a matter of proper scheming players not getting beat 1-on-1, and players knowing their assignments. I think it really boils down to the Pats not disguising their defense well. Their defense was built on deception, and that element just isn't there anymore and hasn't been since Romeo Crennel left (Mangini did a solid job, too).

Patricia has done a really nice job with development, but my ideal world sees Belichick and Mangini getting back together to fix the defense and provide Bill with a successor for when he decides to move upstairs.
                    Last edited by nepg; 10-03-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• The Good:
                      The OL now and their future. Solder has played really well at RT. When Vollmer comes back, I really hope they bench Light... who has been bad. Connolly has done well at C. Waters and Mankins have been great Gs.

You could also mention Stevan Ridley here and Wilforks 2 INTs. Oh... and some guy named Tom Brady has thrown a few passes this year.

The Bad:
                      Welker and Gronkowski are the only receivers that are showing up. Hernandez is hurt but generally is a threat. Without Hernandez, this team feels a lot like the 2009 team with 2 basic threats and junk. Branch and Brady are out of sync. 85 is slowly learning the system... and maybe he'll be ready by playoff time.

Mayo being hurt is bad, but I don't think it's as bad to lose a Mike LB as some other positions. At least we have depth there.

The Ugly:
                      You could pick a lot of things on defense and call it "ugly" but the most concerning one of them seems to be Devin McCourty turning into Darius Butler. Not only is McCourty being abused in press/bump and run... he's also lost when the ball is near the receiver. He's basically just giving up receptions and making tackles after the fact. That's Darius Butler. I have to believe bounce back.

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                      I think we've got a linebacker issue too. We've had a lot of defensive breakdowns against tight ends and backs as well as giving up a lot of yards of broken plays to quarterbacks. Inconsistent against the run at times as well. There's just really not much to like about what we do on defense. I felt pretty good about the secondary coming into the year...but that's been exposed as a massive problem as well.
                      I could be wrong, but I haven't seen a single DL (save Wilfork) make a play on the ball in spite of them getting horrific pressure on the QB. Usually, at the very least if you can't get to him at least take away throwing lanes.

Though, I agree with your point about poor LB play against the short passes (checkdowns, screens, etc)
                      Last edited by descendency; 10-04-2011, 12:57 AM.
                      **** her in da *****!

Comment

• On a brighter note than our defence having more holes than a michael bay movie...

Ridley the steal of the draft?! :)
                        New England Patriots

Comment

• Originally posted by Patriots_QB_12 View Post
                          On a brighter note than our defence having more holes than a michael bay movie...

Ridley the steal of the draft?! :)
                          I think so, at least at this point. Long term we might be saying Mallett, but that's just speculation. Ridley has ridiculous burst when hitting the hole. I hated the pick when we took him, but he's my favorite RB on our roster now. Love the way he runs. If we used him more he could easily be a 1300+ yard back in the NFL, but that won't ever happen in our system. But I feel better knowing that we have somebody who can close out games so we won't have to go through what we did in 2009 again, where we lost games in the fourth quarter.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                          I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• Indeed. Having a RB like Ridley will be amazing for the Pats if they can get their **** together at least somewhat on the defensive side of the ball.

I think this game against the Jets is a good opportunity to take a big leap, defensively. They shouldn't be overmatched athletically in any of their match-ups. The Jets shouldn't be capable of just running by the secondary.

I know it's the Jets so you never know what's going to happen, but it just seems like the Pats are going to throw all over them and just beat the ever living **** out of the Jets in this game.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
                              Indeed. Having a RB like Ridley will be amazing for the Pats if they can get their **** together at least somewhat on the defensive side of the ball.

I think this game against the Jets is a good opportunity to take a big leap, defensively. They shouldn't be overmatched athletically in any of their match-ups. The Jets shouldn't be capable of just running by the secondary.

I know it's the Jets so you never know what's going to happen, but it just seems like the Pats are going to throw all over them and just beat the ever living **** out of the Jets in this game.
                              I expect the jets will be pissed. Just like Big Rich was. They'll come hard, tire out as tom carves them up. I expect a huge game from gronk/hernandez if he plays. The jets safeties make me sick.

I dont think revis or cro will be manning welker up either.
                              If the jets lose this one... implosion cometh.
                              Breed's QB Philosophy:
                              Originally posted by Breed
                              At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

• I can't wait to see Marcus Cannon... who might be a bigger steal.

The best possible scenario for the Patriots (bad D and all) is ending the Jets season this week. A win and the Jets will start pointing fingers publicly and it will get bad. Plus, Joe Namath seems to be unintentionally making it worse by basically pointing this out.
                                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information