Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't start over looking the Jets just yet. They are going to come to play this week. And why is the game at 415 dammit!

Originally posted by WMD
    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
    Originally posted by gpngc
    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Exactly. The Jets scare me. Their ability to take Welker out of the game is fearsome since he's our offense right now.
      Haynesworth practiced :) So did Dowling :)

In other news, Wilfork is on pace for 8 INTs this year.
      If the CB injuries keep piling up... stick him out there!
      -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• It is definitely disappointing to see our D looking very porous. It's either touchdown or turnover, with no real ability to stop anyone on offense. Blame has to go to the coaching. It's not like the FO has completely ignored the defensive side of the ball, as we've draft back to back CBs with our top picks. However, I will puke if we continue to play the "draft pick stockpile" game while passing on potential studs in the front seven.

On a more upbeat note . . .

Check out the effort & manpower required to get V-Weazy up off the field after his INT. lol

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• The most impressive part of that is Wilfork jumped the route. We seriously need to look at putting Wilfork at CB haha. Can't be as bad as Bodden.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
            I wouldn't start over looking the Jets just yet. They are going to come to play this week. And why is the game at 415 dammit!
            The Patriots have added incentive to win though. A win this week could sink the Titanic.

A loss could mean that NE is going down with them. That team is highly vulnerable on the OL. Too bad Mayo is out or we could play aggressive and shred the Jets.
            **** her in da *****!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
              This, at some point excuses need to stop being made, our defense is just terrible if not the worst in the league right now. I do think were missing talent, people may not be playing at the level they could but we need to start hitting on some draft picks on the defensive side of the ball, and for once in his god damn life BB needs to address the ******* pass rush. Two straight games without a sack it pathetic.
              I think all 11 players on our defense are pretty talented relatively speaking compared to most defenses in the league. However, we simply have no X Factor player on that side of the ball. Look at the best defenses in the league: the Packers have Woodsen and Matthews, the Ravens have Ngata and Reed, the Jets have Revis, and the Steelers have Harrison and Polamalu. Nobody on our defense needs to be identified pre-snap, and nobody will affect a play call. Teams can go out and manipulate our defense however they want because they have nobody to scheme around. When we play the Jets a good healthy portion of our offense is taken out because we can't throw on Revis. In "A Football Life" there was that exchange between Brady and BB talking about Ed Reed and how he needs to be identified on every single snap. Nobody on our defense is that kind of player, Mayo is a good instinctive Linebacker but coordinators don't lose sleep at night worrying if he is going to make a play, and Wilfork [up until recently ;)] is a guy who is just an immovable object who is mostly useful in the running game. Last year McCourty flashed that kind of ability, and when he was playing that way we were infinitely better than we are now. Unfortunately that is gone for the time being.

We need to identify one of those kind of players in the draft, and unfortunately I don't see any this year, but if there is a prospect in the Suh, Miller, or Berry class we need to jump all over it no matter what the cost or position he is. I think with just one of these guys our defense would literally blow up into a top 10-top 5 unit overnight.

Originally posted by descendency View Post
              The Patriots have added incentive to win though. A win this week could sink the Titanic.

A loss could mean that NE is going down with them. That team is highly vulnerable on the OL. Too bad Mayo is out or we could play aggressive and shred the Jets.
              I've been so excited for this game, and I don't think I've ever wanted to win a regular season game this badly. This weeks matchup is the antithesis of a good matchup between the Jets offense and the Patriots defense. It's essentially and immovable force vs. an unstoppable (backwards) object. I do feel like our defense matches up fairly well with the Jets if Mangold doesn't play. Haynesworth and Wilfork need to be able to dominate the middle. It's put up or shut up time for Haynesworth. This is exactly the reason we brought him in and weathered all the crap that comes from the media. If he doesn't play or doesn't get any pressure on the Sanchize we definitely won't bring him back next year. I think this could be a bounce back game for McCourty. He's played Holmes well in the past, and if we can get him matched up on him I think he could get an INT and get his mojo back.

On offense I'm a bit worried. If A-Hernandez doesn't play it seriously hurts the way we want to attack the Jets. Revis is going to take away Welker, and Brady has always had trouble throwing against Cromartie, so that essentially would leave us with Gronkowski against the world or god help us, Ocho becomes part of the gameplan. I hope they continue running the ball. With BT out for the Jets I think a healthy dose of Ridley and BJGE could be in order. We need to take this game slowly and control the tempo. A 7-8 minute opening drive where we run the ball effectively and score is the best way to face an emotional and angry team like the Jets. We can't try to match their energy by spreading them out and consistently looking for the kill. That's how we lost last time, but if we control the tempo slowly and not make mistakes I think that team will collapse. I think the Patriots are the better team, and they need to make the Jets show they can beat the Pats instead of the Pats always trying to be aggressive and beat the Jets themselves.

Comment

• I think cmarq really hit the nail on the head in regards to this defense. Personnel wise, we're not outclassed in terms of talent, except maybe along the defensive line. We have a bunch of guys who can do some things really well at times, even. We just don't have that guy that "changes" a defense. Wilfork is one of those kind of guys, but the thing about nose tackles is that they can't really do it themselves. He creates opportunities for other guys, more so than anything. We need to find more of the kind of guys that capitalize on those kind of opportunities and create them themselves, one of those rare defensive cornerstone types.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I agree with that, too. We have some solid talent but need "The Man!" who will make a DST special. We had a few back in the day w/Willie, Richard and Milloy / Rodney. Now we have none. Instead we have Carter / Anderson and Guyton plus a boatload of nothing at S.

Merri looks good for Chicago, but he's still flirting with a helmet to helmet personal foul on every contact. (Bears / Panthers was on NFLN Replay last night.)

Comment

• Pats Passing D:

Between the 20's: 32 (rank) - 82.8 QBR
                    In the RedZone: 1 (rank) - 3.0 QBR
                    -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                      Pats Passing D:

That's the big thing for me. With the exceptions of the Buffalo game we haven't given up huge points to any team and they had great field position on a few drives plus a return TD.

I'm curious to see how this game turns out. Rex has stated they plan to go back to the ground and pound style, however IMO that plays into our hands. I would be more worried about Holmes, Plax and especially Keller having big days. But if Ryan is worried about Sanchez throwing 35 times then we may get a free one this week.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• Yeah, the Patriots' run defense is crazy good this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                          Pats Passing D:

We're still in a bad spot when you count scoring defense. 33 PPG just doesn't cut it. Doesn't matter if you let them score in the red area or not, it's still a score.

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                          Yeah, the Patriots' run defense is crazy good this year.
                          A lot better than our pass defense, but we're still below league average statistically. Wouldn't say crazy good by any means, but it's not a major problem either.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                            We're still in a bad spot when you count scoring defense. 33 PPG just doesn't cut it. Doesn't matter if you let them score in the red area or not, it's still a score.

A lot better than our pass defense, but we're still below league average statistically. Wouldn't say crazy good by any means, but it's not a major problem either.
                            The Patriots' defense is certainly well below average this year, but the yards per game might a little bit misleading because we've been in prevent defense/garbage time for a lot of the season. Look at that 90+ yard TD drive the Raiders had last week when we were way up at the end of the game. That really skewed the stats from that game, when really we did a pretty good job of containing McFadden and dominating the majority of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post

Yeah, middle of the pack is a long way from 'crazy good,' especially since we have to assume we only geared up to stop the run vs. Oakland & DMC. Considering the Raiders still pounded out 160 yards on the ground, I'd say there's plenty of room for improvement there. Only 7 teams are giving up more ypc than NE.

Comment

• Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                                The Patriots' defense is certainly well below average this year, but the yards per game might a little bit misleading because we've been in prevent defense/garbage time for a lot of the season. Look at that 90+ yard TD drive the Raiders had last week when we were way up at the end of the game. That really skewed the stats from that game, when really we did a pretty good job of containing McFadden and dominating the majority of the game.
                                We did a decent job considering DMC is clearly becoming the stud everyone expected out of college. But the Raiders gained 30 yards rushing in the entire 4th Q, hardly enough to skew the stats.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information