X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...ls-for-oc-post

Interesting.

Originally posted by WMD
    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
    Originally posted by gpngc
    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
      http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...e-over-penn-st

Bill O'Brien is going to be officially announced as the Penn State head coach in the next few days. I'm not a great fan of the move if I'm a Penn State fan. O'Brien has been steady, but for a guy with no expedience as a head coach and without a particularly distinguished track record...meh. Not a great fan of what he's done around here, as we've struggled to find meaningful production from outside receivers. We're good enough to make up for it with the tight ends and Tom Brady...but he hasn't really done anything to stand out one way or the other.

From the Patriots fan perspective; I really, really, really don't like this. His contract was up at the end of the year and he was probably gone either way(It was very possible he would have gone to another team, even as an OC), but I defiantly want everyone all in for the playoff run. Between trying to lay the ground work for taking over, smoozing with Alumni, and hiring a staff for Penn State(luckily, recruiting is in a dead period until February...although my understanding of that aspect of college football is a little limited, as I understand now, there may be some things that go on), there's going to be a whole lot more on his plate than helping with preparing a winning gameplan for a playoff game. Just horrible, horrible timing and not something I wanted to deal with.

In terms who who steps up and fills the void next year; Chad O'Shea is the leading internal candidate to step into the role, although we may just go with what we did before officially naming O'Brien and go without a named coordinator(which again, makes me leery of how much involvement he had)...or we go out and get Josh. I'm really all in on the last option, to be honest. McDaniel's wasn't officially let go in St. Louis and still may hang on there, but a new coach might not want him hanging around there, especially if they go with someone with an offensive background. He still has strong organizational ties, runs a similar system(one I like better, personally), and hasn't burned any bridges with our organization. Tom has been on record saying he really loved working with him, so the most important requirement in all of this is seemingly covered as well.
      You worry too much about everything EE lol.

Obrien is a professional and as Weis did he will be able to manage both jobs for the time being I am sure. He knows winning a superbowl will intensely aid his work at Penn State.
      Breed's QB Philosophy:
      Originally posted by Breed
      At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

• I'm not going to assume that. Just because it worked with Weis doesn't guarantee it will with O'Brien. It certainly shows that it's possible, but this is a different situation, different team, and a different season. The Weis thing concerned me a whole lot at the time as well. It's great that it didn't affect things then, but I don't know how you can be anything but concerned when a coach takes on additional, outside responsibilities anytime, let alone during a playoff run.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I'm not going to assume that. Just because it worked with Weis doesn't guarantee it will with O'Brien. It certainly shows that it's possible, but this is a different situation, different team, and a different season. The Weis thing concerned me a whole lot at the time as well. It's great that it didn't affect things then, but I don't know how you can be anything but concerned when a coach takes on additional, outside responsibilities anytime, let alone during a playoff run.
          You always assume worst case.

Sure, it could hinder him and effect him negatively.
          It could also motivate him and encourage him to work harder.

It's silly to speculate because we really cannot know, and it could be good or bad, 50/50.
          Breed's QB Philosophy:
          At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

• Last time we lost our OC during the playoffs...SUPERBOWL CHAMPS

Comment

• Originally posted by BradysKnee View Post
              You always assume worst case.

Sure, it could hinder him and effect him negatively.
              It could also motivate him and encourage him to work harder.

It's silly to speculate because we really cannot know, and it could be good or bad, 50/50.

With all due respect, you are the one speculating with "he will be able to manage both jobs for the time being I am sure" and saying it will motivate him to work harder. That's speculation.

I'm simply bringing it up as a concern and something to look out for, similar to how it was viewed with Weis and Crennel back in 2004. If you want to view with with rose colored glasses, that's your prerogative...but with two consecutive early playoff exits, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to have a healthy air of trepidation about this situation. Completely different situation than it was with Weis(and the potential distraction of Notre Dame was a story line back then), where we were coming off two recent Super Bowl victories. This isn't the same group of players of coaches, you have to earn that kind of cache and confidence....it shouldn't(and doesn't) just get given to you.

Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
              Bring it on. I would view that as a major upgrade over O'Brien. I'm not sure it's in the best interest of McDaniel's career though; going to Kansas City(or staying in St. Louis) and being successful probably proves a lot more than coming here does. If he's willing though, I would be excited as hell for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Brandon Lloyd is on record that he wants to follow McDaniels to his next job. Just saying. That could (help) alleviate our WR problems. I'd still like Michael Floyd in town, but I could live without him if we go after Lloyd.

edit: I really think BoB was by far the best guy even remotely interested in the Penn State job. I am still shocked anyone with any potential head coaching future wants that job. It's going to be a nightmare job. Someone called it a hornet's nest... but I think that's putting it too mildly. It's going to be absolute hell. The alumni are split on any hire. The new staff could be impossible to work with. The NCAA could give PSU the death penalty.

There are so many reasons why to avoid that situation, I almost feel bad for BoB taking it. I don't really feel a great amount of attachment to him, but I get the feeling he's made a huge mistake going from a heaven to hell.
                Last edited by descendency; 01-06-2012, 11:55 AM.
                **** her in da *****!

Comment

With all due respect, you are the one speculating with "he will be able to manage both jobs for the time being I am sure" and saying it will motivate him to work harder. That's speculation.

I'm simply bringing it up as a concern and something to look out for, similar to how it was viewed with Weis and Crennel back in 2004. If you want to view with with rose colored glasses, that's your prerogative...but with two consecutive early playoff exits, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to have a healthy air of trepidation about this situation. Completely different situation than it was with Weis(and the potential distraction of Notre Dame was a story line back then), where we were coming off two recent Super Bowl victories. This isn't the same group of players of coaches, you have to earn that kind of cache and confidence....it shouldn't(and doesn't) just get given to you.

Bring it on. I would view that as a major upgrade over O'Brien. I'm not sure it's in the best interest of McDaniel's career though; going to Kansas City(or staying in St. Louis) and being successful probably proves a lot more than coming here does. If he's willing though, I would be excited as hell for sure.
                  Not saying either really. You could be right, don't take it the wrong way. I just see no reason to worry about it at this time, I'm more worried about our defense being beat the **** up than OBrien lol.

I think we're very well poised for at least an AFC Championship, and maybe the SB if the defense can regroup. All I am saying is that OBrien knows a SB would give him much needed recruiting power.
                  Breed's QB Philosophy:
                  At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

• Originally posted by descendency View Post
                    Brandon Lloyd is on record that he wants to follow McDaniels to his next job. Just saying. That could (help) alleviate our WR problems. I'd still like Michael Floyd in town, but I could live without him if we go after Lloyd.
                    That would be fantastic. We were in the running for him before St. Louis snapped him up. I would have fairly low expectations for him, as Chad has proven that you really can't trust these 30+ wide receivers to just come in and be effective....but it's certainly better than another year of Chad(which isn't happening anyway, 6 million reasons why) and a much better overall fit. I would still want to grab a younger wide receiver who can stretch the field in either the draft or free agency, but still, it would be nice to add Lloyd as a weapon for next year.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• McDufus and Lloyd would be very nice for us. Lloyd is a bit of an anomoly as he is playing better late in his career than he ever has before. He's still playing fast and making great catches, which is not something we could say for Chad over the last 3 years.

Also, just cuz it's funny and I really think we could see a Pats / Pack SB . . .

Skip to 2:20 and watch from there.
                      (my apologies for the link to NFL.com, which always forces video ads first, but I can't find it anywhere else.)

Dave Dameshek's Shame Report (Week 12)

Or just a screen shot of Shek's prediction, but it's much better watching the whole bit.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Early word is that the Happy Valley faithful aren't receiving O'Brien very well at all. So not only is he trying to salvage a recruiting class and assemble a staff in the wake of the worst sports scandal ever, he's also going to have to deal with alumni entitlement and a less than stellar reaction from a fanbase in general....all the while trying to do the 24 hour a day job of trying to make a Super Bowl run, wherein the lions share of it is predicated on the side of the ball he's in charge of. You can't tell me that's not a whole lot on one plate.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                          What's an OR?
                          Outside Rusher

As a Pats fan, I hate it. Bill's developed into a great OC the last couple of years, and I really don't want to go through the process of replacing that positions again. I was hoping this guy would actually be content to stay and wait for the Patriots job. Belichick doesn't have too long left, in my estimation and the Patriots is easily one of the Top 2-4 jobs in the NFL.

As a Bill O'Brien fan, I hate it. Dude jumped at the first job that he was offered. STUPID. He also took one of the worst possible jobs out there. He was going to get a ton of offers this off-season. Including a few HC positions for NFL teams. Bill O'Brien ****** up bad here. Did not do due diligence to make sure he was making the right move, and will pay for it. And the guy has zero connection to Penn State. He's a Dorchester kid who went to Brown. The only thing that links him to Penn State is Bill Belichick's disdain for the program.

As a Penn State fan, I'd be loving it. They're going through a transition period and definitely needed to clean house anyway. Old school Penn State people might not be on board with it right away, but will eventually. O'Brien's going to be a good recruiter and even if he flops as a coach, the team will be set up very nicely for the next guy that comes along.

Comment

• I doubt O'Brien would have stayed around even without a head coaching gig. His contract was at the end of the season...and he wasn't going to prove a heck of a lot more by sticking around and having Brady get all the credit. A few writers have even said as much, even though it sounds like that was mostly speculation.

I'm nowhere near as impressed with his abilities as you are, we've become more limited as an offense in the name of balance(...and we aren't even balanced) under his watch. Look at where we're best; with Brady changing things up at the the line of scrimmage and going fast. I don't think he was horrible or anything, but this team succeeded offensively the past few years because we have the best quarterback in the NFL, not because of phenomenal coaching or scheme.

Reports are coming out that the McDaniel's thing looks like a slam dunk and that the Rams have told him that he's free to go anywhere he wants. John Clayton was just on ESPN and said that "it looks like he doesn't want to go to the Chiefs". Not sure that's based on anything else than him throwing feelers out, but it's the first we've heard on it and I would love it if that's true.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Clayton never has any real information, but my guess is that McD is done with dealing with other organizations and if the choices are down to New England and Kansas City, he'll take the safer job with the Pats.

I liked O'Brien's personnel packages a lot. He put the talent on the field together well. I think he could have done a much better job getting Edelman involved, but it's tough when your other 4 receivers (including the 2 TEs) do pretty much the same thing that Edelman does well.

If McDaniels does come back, he'll bring Lloyd (great fit), leaving the Pats with probably 4 WRs and 2 spots to fill. I still think they need to get one with their first 4 picks. He also brings a more varied run game and does a better job taking advantage of every player's strength.
                              Last edited by nepg; 01-06-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Clayton usually has a good amount of inside news imo. Anyway I would be happy to have McDaniels back so long as we don't fully abandon a run game and force Brady to throw 50 times a game.

Originally posted by WMD
                                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                                Originally posted by gpngc
                                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information