This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
    Without Gronk, they don't have a big play threat. Their only hope is that Edelman or Vereen catch a screen or slant and make 2-3 guys miss. We all knew this was the issue with the offense and team overall for the last 3 years. Boyce could be it, but he's a project and Dobson is going to rot on the inactive list. This is why I was so displeased with passing on Patterson. I just don't understand why they no longer value taking the top off the defense.
    Dobson was drafted to do that. The problem is that he's the exact kind of player we've made mistakes on before; a projection guy. He never consistently caught made big plays at Marshall, for whatever reason. You can talk all you want about the offense and the quarterback play he had to deal with. That has some merit to it for sure...but those are the exact same excuses we made for Chad Jackson and Taylor Price. I like some of what I saw from Dobson in the pre-season, but the fact that he wasn't able to beat out Thompson and Boyce for playing time just isn't what you want to see when you spend a high value pick on a guy like that. Especially when we picked him over some guys who have a chance to be pretty good.
    There might be an actual health issue with Dobson, but we need to realize that holding second round picks out of games isn't acceptable. Enough is enough at this point. I'm just out of faith for guys we stash on the bench for months/seasons at positions of need. If Dobson is healthy and he can't crack this lineup, there's an issue. Plain and simple.

I'm starting to think that the team feels, and rightfully so to an extent, that it's easier to generate big plays in the middle of the field now. With the way the rules have changed over the past five years, there's just a lot more high percentage throws there. I'm fine with that approach, but the issue is that we haven't been able to produce/haven't shown enough of an interest in guys who can generate plays in excess of 20 yards there. We would much rather cut a team to pieces than swing for the fences.

Also, I'm starting to think a little bit less of what we actually do with outside receivers. It's all either very high percentage bubble screens or option routes on the far edge. The route tree really doesn't seem to progress much further than that. I would like to see a little bit more creativity there. If we need to simplify things for the personnel we have, we're in a position where we have to do that.

But yeah, receiver is the new pass rusher for me. It's been a need that we haven't addressed or had success with for going on three years at this point. I do have some hope that it's going to get better as we're actually trying to find guys for that spot now, but we'll see how it goes. Moving on.

cmarq made a pretty interesting point about the short rotations on both defense and offense. That will be something to watch for with the short turn around this week against the Jets. We're going to have to play more guys than we did. I will add that I did see Buchanan get in there some. On the one play I really noticed, he did a decent job controlling the point of attack and allowing Chandler Jones(who was shuffled inside) to get in there and pressure Geno. Not anything world beating, but I thought it was an interesting approach. Similar to what the Giants have done over the years. Hopefully we see some development from both of those guys over the course of the year.

Aside from that, we saw very little out of the younger defensive players. Discouraging that those guys aren't ready to step in and help make us better yet, but the results we got from the starters were fairly strong by our standards so there's that to keep in mind as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Vereen. ****.

Comment

• http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wrist-surgery/

god...dammit

Originally posted by WMD
        Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
        Originally posted by gpngc
        I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• That makes a question I had even more relevant: Why is Bolden inactive in favor of Blount? I like Blount - have since he signed and looked solid w/Tennessee. He isn't a stud, though, and seems unable to make the plays a guy of his size should make. I loved everything I saw out of Bolden and now he's out (presumably) b/c of a preseason fumble?

I don't get it.

I can only question our coaching staff at this point. None of these young guys seem to get much opportunity and that can only add to the lousy track record we have in the player development arena.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Bolden should get the ball a lot on Thursday, and that is not just the homer in me. Yes, he had a bad fumble in the preseason but I think we need to give him a shot.

Comment

• Veterans from other teams are always better than the guys we've drafted. Haven't you learned this by now?

But yeah, Vereen is a blow. I get the funny feeling that Bolden is in the doghouse a little bit because of his suspension last year. Really makes you wonder why he's on the roster if that's the case, but he just seemed to lose favor after that. Blount is a decent complimentary back, but I don't think he's good enough to be a feature back on a competitive team.

We may just have to ride with Ridley for a bit, fumbling and all. Not super happy about it. Not everyone can be the Lawfirm and straight up never fumble, but the rate at which (and ways) Ridley gives the ball away isn't good.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                That makes a question I had even more relevant: Why is Bolden inactive in favor of Blount? I like Blount - have since he signed and looked solid w/Tennessee. He isn't a stud, though, and seems unable to make the plays a guy of his size should make. I loved everything I saw out of Bolden and now he's out (presumably) b/c of a preseason fumble?

I don't get it.

I can only question our coaching staff at this point. None of these young guys seem to get much opportunity and that can only add to the lousy track record we have in the player development arena.
                I don't know... I've never really questioned what McD does with RBs. He seems to always get it right.

And in regard to EE's post, it's frustrating. Yeah, they value the middle of the field, but teams don't have to respect the sidelines when they play the Pats and just stack the middle. It seems like every single pass was contested yesterday. Gronk opens things up (and KillaH sure helped stretch the D), but without him teams just don't have to respect anything but the middle of the field against the Pats.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
                  And in regard to EE's post, it's frustrating. Yeah, they value the middle of the field, but teams don't have to respect the sidelines when they play the Pats and just stack the middle. It seems like every single pass was contested yesterday. Gronk opens things up (and KillaH sure helped stretch the D), but without him teams just don't have to respect anything but the middle of the field against the Pats.
                  Again, I think that comes down to the route tree we ask receivers to run. All the plays to the outside are either quick bubble screens or option routes that require a lot of time to develop and tons of communication. Other teams just seem to be a lot quicker at getting the ball into the receivers hands downfield in space.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                    Veterans from other teams are always better than the guys we've drafted. Haven't you learned this by now?

But yeah, Vereen is a blow. I get the funny feeling that Bolden is in the doghouse a little bit because of his suspension last year. Really makes you wonder why he's on the roster if that's the case, but he just seemed to lose favor after that. Blount is a decent complimentary back, but I don't think he's good enough to be a feature back on a competitive team.

We may just have to ride with Ridley for a bit, fumbling and all. Not super happy about it. Not everyone can be the Lawfirm and straight up never fumble, but the rate at which (and ways) Ridley gives the ball away isn't good.
                    I hear you. It's frustrating as hell to watch the same scenario unfold at any given position every single year. Draft a guy but never play him b/c he doesn't have a 100% grasp of all the things that they can only understand 100% by getting reps. No reps, no experience, no PT. Rinse & repeat.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Well, we're about to find out if it's the personnel departments problem or the coaches sucking at player development. Either way, we've created an environment where it's tough for younger players to come into and be successful, particularly on offense.

...but we'll find out just what it is. Blount is the type of guy BB will give a longer leash than he should do, but we don't have any retreads to hide behind at receiver or tight end.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...b-talib-doesnt

Watch the video, yay oh my gawd you guys. Yay

Originally posted by WMD
                        I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• That's fantastic, but sucks about Talib. Great week to miss a game with the Jets passing attack being as turnover prone as they are...but hopefully it's not something that effects him long term. He practiced Friday though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Yeah I am ok with holding him out until hes healthy, barring that our defense can hold it together with all of these injuries and our offense can move the ball. Two big if's.

Originally posted by WMD

Comment

• I think they can survive the Jets without Talib, especially if Gronk is back. But they'll probably need him next week against the Dolphins and especially when they go up against the Panthers after teh BYE.

Comment

• Weekly preview for NEPD:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/...to-week-7.html

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information