Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's interesting. Not sure what my reaction to that right away is. We obviously need the help at wide receiver still, but VJax seems like he's been declining to me(although that could be poor quarterback play). If we can buy low though...man.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Rumor has it that the Buccaneers are looking for a second-round pick. I'd give up a fourth or so, but that's about it. Seems like more of a rental to me given his age/contract. He'd only cost about $5.3 million for the rest of 2014, but $9.8 in 2015 (non-guaranteed.) That Brandon LaFell is playing so well on the outside and that Tim Wright is finally starting to get worked into the offense would seem to somewhat mitigate the need for another big target. That said, I've always had a soft spot for Vincent Jackson given how much trouble he's been for the Patriots historically.

Comment

• Yeah, I would go for a fourth without thinking about it a whole ton. A third would give me a bit of pause, but I would still probably give it a hard look too. I worry about our ability to integrate a receiver into our offense period, let alone mid-season.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Based on what we saw this week, I would be pretty comfortable with Gronkowski, LaFell, Edelman, Wright, and Vereen being the five skill-position guys. That said, things could fall apart if someone got hurt. I think Vincent Jackson is a bit of a luxury, albeit a sexy one. I'd still be excited to have him on the team even for a third-round pick, but to me it wouldn't be clear who was getting the better end of the deal.

On a somewhat related note, I know we say this almost every year, but is this one of Tom Brady's best seasons? On pace for

4,108 yards (7.32 YPA), 64.4% completion, 36 TD, 4 INT, 104.7 passer rating

Comment

• Yeah, he's really turned it around quickly. How many throws did he truly miss today? 30/35 and Edelman dropped two. Pretty sure Vereen did as well, but one was a little contested.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
              We obviously need the help at wide receiver
              I actually disagree. I think our WRs are just fine and they did well today. Edelman usually doesn't play that badly. Wright is more of a WR than a true TE. With Gronk and Vereen, Brady has solid pass catching targets. Oh, and LaFell. And Tyms who didn't catch today.

There isn't anyone that really stands out but this is a solid group. Could VJax improve it? Sure. But there are bigger needs, like at RB, LB, and maybe even NT. I didn't like what I saw from Wilfork who looked slow today.

If our OL plays like they did today (minus the bad stuff by Stork, at times), I would even argue there isn't a real need at OL. It could be improved, but nothing too big.

Also, apparently the same call the Patriots asked about Jackson, they also asked about RB Doug Martin, who I loved coming into the NFL.
              Last edited by descendency; 10-26-2014, 04:26 PM.
              **** her in da *****!

Comment

• Our Wrs are not fine. We do this every year. We beat the piss out of bottom tier teams to inflate our offense statistics and then come big games/playoffs our guys get killed in press and no one can open up the deep game once teams just clog the middle of the field. And its only going to get worse if we lose Gronk again. If we want to go down that road again sure, but wr is not "fine".

Not to say there isn't more pressing needs (OL still needs help imo), but I would take Vjax in a heartbeat for a third.

Originally posted by WMD
                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                Originally posted by gpngc
                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm more with Jvig on this one. We have some guys I feel pretty confident in spreading the ball to at this point, but one real weapon that teams are going to have to key in on(especially a big play guy like VJax) just puts the unit over the top and probably opens up more opportunities for the guys we have in pressure situations.

We probably don't NEED him, but another weapon would put this offense on another level.

If it worked out, anyway. Like I said, I would be pretty concerned with integrating a receiver into our offense. LaFell was raved about in the off-season for how quickly he picked things up. Even with that praise, it took some time and some frustration for that to translate into what we're getting now. The more I think about it, the more I think we should take that shot though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Like I told EE, I hope Ayers beasts it for you guys. No one really understood why Whiz and Horton didn't play him, aside from a "Well, he doesn't play ST's, he's our 4th OLB, and we only keep 4 OLB's active on gameday." They'd deactivate him for Quentin Groves, and then have 5 RB's and 4 TE's active. Ugh.

I mean, play Ayers at ILB. Zach Brown went down for the season in week one, and Colin McCarthy went down for the year in the preseason. So we've been running Wesley Woodyard, who was benched in Denver last year and was only signed to start here because we needed someone to call the new 3-4 DEF, and a late round rookie in Avery Williamson, who has actually been playing well and has seemingly surpassed Zaviar Gooden. Ayers can, at the very least, come in to beef up the inside so Arian Foster doesn't molest us as bad.

Maybe he grabbed Whiz's butt and let his hand linger a millisecond too long during TC. I really have no explanation for what happened during the end of last season to the start of this one. But this was a great move for you guys, if you ask me.
                    Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                    Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• The Pats would blow the 2nd rounder on a ****** WR or DB anyway. Go for it.

It doesn't matter if it takes time for Jackson to find a role in the offense because they have 10 weeks to figure it out at this point, anyway.

The biggest problem the Pats run into in the post-season is not being able to convert 3rd downs or red zone opportunities. Even if Vincent Jackson is a husk, he can still do those things better than most in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                        Like I told EE, I hope Ayers beasts it for you guys. No one really understood why Whiz and Horton didn't play him, aside from a "Well, he doesn't play ST's, he's our 4th OLB, and we only keep 4 OLB's active on gameday." They'd deactivate him for Quentin Groves, and then have 5 RB's and 4 TE's active. Ugh.

I mean, play Ayers at ILB. Zach Brown went down for the season in week one, and Colin McCarthy went down for the year in the preseason. So we've been running Wesley Woodyard, who was benched in Denver last year and was only signed to start here because we needed someone to call the new 3-4 DEF, and a late round rookie in Avery Williamson, who has actually been playing well and has seemingly surpassed Zaviar Gooden. Ayers can, at the very least, come in to beef up the inside so Arian Foster doesn't molest us as bad.

Maybe he grabbed Whiz's butt and let his hand linger a millisecond too long during TC. I really have no explanation for what happened during the end of last season to the start of this one. But this was a great move for you guys, if you ask me.
                        Just wanted to quote this because it's a good post on the other side of the situation. Very interesting how fast Ayers lost the trust of the coaching staff so quickly. I don't think we make the move if we aren't as short as we are at linebacker, but he showed some likable traits today. I'll have to go back and watch how much he had to do with us getting gashed by Forte and the success of Bennett, but those were problems we had anyway. Made two very decent plays as a rusher that stuck out. I'll take that out of a guy I didn't think would be in the lineup for at least another week or two.

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                        The Pats would blow the 2nd rounder on a ****** WR or DB anyway. Go for it.

It doesn't matter if it takes time for Jackson to find a role in the offense because they have 10 weeks to figure it out at this point, anyway.

The biggest problem the Pats run into in the post-season is not being able to convert 3rd downs or red zone opportunities. Even if Vincent Jackson is a husk, he can still do those things better than most in the league.
                        Wouldn't describe him as a husk by any means.

But yeah, wouldn't go as high as a second...but if a third gets it done I think that's a fair trade for both sides.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• It's possible that a second-round pick could end up being a Darius Butler, Ron Brace, Ras-I Dowling, or Aaron Dobson, but it's also possible that it could be a Sebastian Vollmer, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, Shane Vereen, Jamie Collins, or Jimmy Garoppolo. I'd hold onto the pick. Maybe I'd do it for a third, or send Tampa their fourth-round pick back, which figures to be a high selection.

Comment

• I actually agree for the most part about spending the pick. We absolutely would blow it on a **** wr at this point trying to fix the situation and then we'd be back at the same point.

Unfortunately I think we have a number of weaknesses that make it difficult to say we can just trade for Vjax and be ok. Last year it would have made a difference but this year with how bad the run D is/Oline/thin at LB, I don't think it'd be the be all end all solution to the problems we have.

With that said I am happy that Lafell was on the same page as Brady and Gronk doing Gronk things (throwing that safety off was amazing). And yeah, Ayers did some nice things as well. Revis looked half decent as well. And look, Brady can still be Brady when he has time.

Originally posted by WMD
                            I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Another note: Vincent Jackson has caught just 26/64 passes this year (40.6%), with at least five drops.

Comment

• Tampa Bay tho

Originally posted by WMD

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information