Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well we got Jonathan Casillas, guess I am OK with that. No big name addition but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

Comment

• I hate the NFL trade deadline, it's such a let down. Seriously, a crappy former first rounder goes from a bad team to a slightly less bad team is the big story. I wish more teams had fire sales. Would at least make it interesting. I think Sopoaga was the only guy traded at the deadline last year

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• We got Talib that time. That was pretty cool.

Wouldn't have minded getting in on Barron for that price in spite of the issues. Still think he has some potential and he could be a viable compliment to McCourty. Not super upset about not getting that done though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
          I hate the NFL trade deadline, it's such a let down. Seriously, a crappy former first rounder goes from a bad team to a slightly less bad team is the big story. I wish more teams had fire sales. Would at least make it interesting. I think Sopoaga was the only guy traded at the deadline last year
          The problem is that a lot of teams are not willing to give up their season yet. Some/most teams have only played 7 games. They still have half a season left.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

• Originally posted by cmarq83 View Post
            I like our safety rotation. Chung, Harmon, and Wilson all bring something to the table. I'm not really sure what Barron would add at this point tbh.
            Like ElectricEye, I'm not devastated to not land Barron or anything, but I think he would have been a nice player to buy low on. Chung has been pretty solid this year, so it probably would have been more of a long-term move. I'm not ready to give up on Harmon as a future starter either, although the fact that he couldn't beat out Steve Gregory last year, or win a positional battle which looked stacked in his favor this year is a bit concerning. Tavon Wilson is a solid special-teams guy but I'd prefer not to see him on defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by descendency View Post
              The problem is that a lot of teams are not willing to give up their season yet. Some/most teams have only played 7 games. They still have half a season left.
              Yeah I think this season is making it a little harder to get a decent commodity as well. There are something like 12 teams in the AFC at .500 or better so they would consider themselves in with a great chance at making the playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                Like ElectricEye, I'm not devastated to not land Barron or anything, but I think he would have been a nice player to buy low on. Chung has been pretty solid this year, so it probably would have been more of a long-term move. I'm not ready to give up on Harmon as a future starter either, although the fact that he couldn't beat out Steve Gregory last year, or win a positional battle which looked stacked in his favor this year is a bit concerning. Tavon Wilson is a solid special-teams guy but I'd prefer not to see him on defense.
                See here is the thing though, what do we actually think Barron could provide? A team that is the midst of a complete rebuild gave up on a player 1/2 way through his 3rd season. Since he was a top 10 pick his cap number next year is roughly $2.5 million which is probably around where a Chung resign would be heading for. Considering Chung is 27 to Barron's 25 I don't think much needed to be done from a long term perspective. Athletically there is nothing separating Barron from Chung. I just don't really see what the upside is. Our safety rotation works. We have Chung to serve as our box safety, Wilson can come in and cover TE's somewhat effectively on an as needed basis, and Harmon is really more of a deep cover guy as insurance for McCourty. It's already been a colossal improvement over Gregory, and I mean colossal.

I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to get a guy whom another team was actively trying to sell from the worst defense in the NFL.

Comment

• I guess we'll have to wait and see what New England does with the picks instead. I'd be satisfied with another player like Stork, but getting a 6'2" safety like Barron who could match up against opposing tight ends would be a better use of a fourth than drafting another James White, Josh Boyce, Rich Ohrnberger, Jonathan Wilhite, Kareem Brown, Garrett Mills, etc.

Comment

• I think it is interesting when you compare Chung and Barron as players. Chung had a really bad start to his career but he was played as a cover 2 safety in NE because they didn't have good enough players to let him do what he is doing now.

Barron is pretty similar in that he has played FS predominantly for TB but should be a guy to play near the LOS.

But realistically, I think most will agree that Barron was overdrafted. There was a craze about getting big safeties who can cover TEs after Gronk, Graham etc tore the league apart. But in all honesty he was probably a late first talent. Chung was taken very early in the 2nd.

I don't think the level of talent between them is much to talk about at all and Chung offers a lot more as a special teamer as well.

I think Barron would have been a little redundant when comparing with Chung but I couldn't argue if they made a play for him to get rid of someone like Wilson.

Comment

• I still like Wilson. I feel we underutilize him. He had a good preseason for us, and I was hoping we'd use him a bit more than we have. He had some brilliant run stuffs, and has 5 picks in about 600 career snaps. He's at least flashed good as well as bad. I'd rather give snaps to Harmon or Wilson to see what they have since they both have about 600 career snaps vs. adding someone with >2000 snaps of bad tape.

Comment

• Branch signing is official it sounds like.

It's going to be interesting to see the Pats try and fit in 3 new front 7 players into the rotation at the same time. I'm hoping Casillas's coverage range opens up Hightower or Collins for some more blitzes since I think we've gotten away from it the past few weeks.

Comment

Branch signing is official it sounds like.

It's going to be interesting to see the Pats try and fit in 3 new front 7 players into the rotation at the same time. I'm hoping Casillas's coverage range opens up Hightower or Collins for some more blitzes since I think we've gotten away from it the past few weeks.
                          I can see them going to some 3 man fronts for the next few weeks, maybe longer depending on Chandler and Siliga.

Branch, Wilfork and Walker will likely rotate between the nose with Branch and Vince also playing some end. Then I can see Easley getting more playing time at end as well.

In base I could see Ayers and Nink outside with Hightower and Collins inside which isn't ideal, but in sub I would imagine either or would go to outside or rush from different spots.

You know, depending on how Siliga looks coming back and how Branch fits in i actually like our DT rotation. You have big bodies in Siliga, Vince, Branch and Walker and smaller guys who can attack like Jones and Easley.

I think we definitely need another pass rusher regardless of Chandler's situation. Nink isn't getting it done and the depth behind the top two is pretty terrible. If he hits the market I would love to look at a guy like McPhee next year because a draft pick will likely take some time to get settled

Comment

• Orakpo will likely hit the market coming off injury. He could play as a 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. Do want.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Unfortunately next year we're in a "add a player, have to subtract a player" kind of cap situation :/. Damn 2013 offseason!

Comment

Unfortunately next year we're in a "add a player, have to subtract a player" kind of cap situation :/. Damn 2013 offseason!
                                Unfortunately, Revis+Browner will likely be out of here.
                                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information