This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pocket
    Just a quick question for you Patriot fans....

How would you guys feel if you traded both of your late first round picks for the first overall pick with Detroit? You could then draft Calvin Johnson at that spot....

Just something I just thought of that might be interesting.
    I wouldn't mind a trade up but it wouldn't be for a WR. Id rather them take a safety like Michael Griffin or an extremely good linebacker. The truth is though that the pats rarely make any moves in the 1st round and will usually settle for BPA. Plus it wouldn't be for Detroit's pick because the $ behind taking the #1 overall would scare the Patriots front office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynFNxQ3b5-U
    thx ^sig by cardsalltheway^
    Michael Griffin #27

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
    the 08 Raiders will be without a doubt the best SB team ever.

Comment

As much as I would love Calvin Johnson, I highly doubt we would trade up for him. It would cost us way to much.

Here are my updated needs for the Pats:

1.) WR- We have by far the worst WR group in the NFL. Luckily we have solid TE's.

2.) LB- With Seau wanting to come back I like the 5 man rotation of Bruschi, Seau, Vrabel, Colvin, and Banta-Cain, but we certainly need to get a young star at LB to go with those guys.

3.) LT- Matt Light has pissed me off so bad this year. The guy can not block at all and when we have a QB as valuable as Brady, we need someone who can constantly block Brady's blindside. I just simply don't trust Light anymore.

4.) CB- CB moves up to #1 or #2 if Samuel leaves, but more then likely if we can re-sign Asante, CB is really just a depth need. I like the combo of Hobbs and Samuel, but it would even be better if we added someone who can challenge Hobbs as our #2 CB moving Hobbs to a nickel CB where he is much better.

5.) S- I really don't think S is that big of a need anymore. James Sanders has played really well and is only getting better as he gets more time on the field. Unless a guy like Landry or Nelson falls to the Pats pick, I don't see us taking S in round 1.

Comment

Bill Belicheck is going to be our HC and GM next year. How do you feel about that?

Comment

Link??? I saw a rumor about it, but that source was trash.

Comment

This is the first I've heard of any rumors about him leaving. How would anyone know if he was annoyed with Kraft? his robotic answers during press conferences are the only insight that we have to his feelings towards the team and its management.

I did a quick search and there is a story posted on bostonherald.com

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...ticleid=171200

It does raise an interesting point though in this section:

It’s worth noting that Belichick’s last contract extension actually was agreed to and put in place a full year before it was announced. Given the elder Kraft’s track record of retaining his top managers since Bill Parcells departed a decade ago, it’s possible that Belichick already has been extended.

Michael Griffin #27

Comment

It doesn't matter if he is under contract. It will be void if we offer him our GM position, due to the fact that it is an advancement.

Comment

We'll still be entitled to compensation, which to me... sounds like... three first round picks.

Not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                  We'll still be entitled to compensation, which to me... sounds like... three first round picks.

Not happening.
                  Good point!

Michael Griffin #27

Comment

Originally posted by EHobbs27

5.) S- I really don't think S is that big of a need anymore. James Sanders has played really well and is only getting better as he gets more time on the field. Unless a guy like Landry or Nelson falls to the Pats pick, I don't see us taking S in round 1.
                    come on safety has got to be higher than this. rodney will probaly be retiring at the end of 2007. we should get a safety with our last 1st round pick. then we should use our first 1st round pick and trade up and get dwayne jarret

Comment

Originally posted by tylaw24
                      Originally posted by Jay

Not happening.
                      Good point!
                      Actually I don't think you would be. When is Bill's contract up anyway.

Comment

If Belichick is under contract, which he is until the end of next season, then the New York Giants would be required to compensate us for his services. We got a first and a second for Bill Parcells, Belichick is worth much more at this point in his career.

Same thing goes for Scott Pioli. The only way he can take another job with someone else in any capacity is with the permission of Bob Kraft, and that's not happening without compensation. Yes, coaches can take jobs if they are a higher position, but there was a specific rule put into place that, ironically, was called the Pioli Rule which states that head coaches and team executives are not subject to the "higher position" loophole.

So it's cut and dry: while Pioli and Belichick are under contract, they are going NO WHERE without HEAVY compensation...

Comment

Originally posted by alca1992
                          Originally posted by EHobbs27

come on safety has got to be higher than this. rodney will probaly be retiring at the end of 2007. we should get a safety with our last 1st round pick. then we should use our first 1st round pick and trade up and get dwayne jarret
                          How low do u think the Seahawk's pick in the draft will be? I read this on their nfl.com news page:

Seattle has lost three straight games and is still the division winner even if it losses a fourth straight contest at Tampa Bay on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET
                          What happens if they lose and the Rams beat the Vikings? They'll both be 8-8. Can anyone explain this to me?

Michael Griffin #27

Comment

The Seahawks beat the Rams twice, they have the tiebreaker.

Comment

You know, I was thinking about this today, I am starting to see Safety as a bigger need than corner, because if we draft a Griffen/Landry/Nelson, we can move Eugene Wilson back to corner where he is less likely to get hurt. He may not be elite, but he'll be a nickel corner at worst, and would form a solid rotation...

Comment

Safety is not a bigger need then CB. Even if Asante stays, we need a lot of CB depth where as with S you have Wilson, Harrison, Sanders, and Hawkins. At CB we have Samuel and Hobbs who may be better suited as a nickel CB and we have Chad Scott who is old and Randall Cool who can't stay healthy.

Many Pats fans have brought up the idea of Wilson at CB, but I'm not sure Belichick will permanently make the switch. Come draft day I can see us taking a DB in round one, but my guess is it will be a CB or a tweener between a S/CB. I like James Sanders as our future at SS and Eugene at FS.

I hope a guy like Leon Hall or Darrelle Revis falls, but I certainly will settle for a guy like an Eric Weddle, Antoine Cason, or a Fred Bennett.

My new dream mock right now for the Pats looks like this:

1.) Levi Brown-LT-Penn St.
                                1.) David Harris-ILB-Michigan
                                2.) Johnnie Lee Higgins-WR-UTEP
                                3.) David Irons-CB-Auburn

or

1.) Darrelle Revis-CB-Pittsburgh
                                1.) Dwayne Bowe-WR-LSU
                                2.) Anthony Waters-ILB-Clemson
                                3.) Ryan Harris-LT-Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X