Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **** Dean Pees. The stuff he was doing for us flatout didn't work. Don't like the sound of our leading candidate either. If BB isn't going to have as active in a role of coaching a defense(god knows why) then at least give us a legitimate coach. Al Groh is a great name, but we're big believers in doing things internally. Who knows? It worked out well with McDaniel's. I wasn't a big believer in him when he was first given the keys to the offense. But this is great news. Maybe it's a bit unfair to Pees, but we need a scapegoat. I agree with the sentiment of a more aggressive defense. Get a couple of pass rushers to pair with Tully(who is really only a part time player anyway) and let'em loose and we'll be a hell of a lot better all around.
    Last edited by ElectricEye; 01-14-2010, 08:52 PM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
      Glad he's gone.
      Yup, pretty much this. I would of liked to see Crennel but glad KC got both hin and weiss.

Originally posted by WMD
      Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
      Originally posted by gpngc
      I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• I liked Pees as an LB coach. I think Patricia will be good. Pees and McDaniels were both extremely vanilla when they started out (and O'Brien was the same way this year), but McDaniels opened things up once he got a hang of the playcalling duties and got more talent. Pees didn't do **** with the immense amount of talent he was given to work with. Very vanilla defense, and it's been why they've lost their defensive luster.

Comment

• My thing is where do **** does BB figure in our defense anymore? The past two years or so things just haven't looked the same. There's flashes of the types of things we used to do, but the defenses we've been running have been SOOOOOO conservative it hurts.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I personally believe that some changes had to be made. Statistically the Patriots had a good year on defense but they simply played poorly on the big stage. 4 times this year they gave up more than 30 points, 3 of them in the 3 biggest games of the year, Indy, New Orleans and Baltimore

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• It's not only that they gave up those points; it's that they gave up those points in a hurry. For prolonged periods of time our defense was completely ineffective.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• But so was the offense... The main issue this year is the inability for the offense to finish drives and put points on the board or sustain drives when it mattered.

Comment

• The offense did have it's issues, but our offense was far healthier than our defense. Just wish we spread the ball around a bit more/had one or two more receivers who could actually catch.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Our D has been mediocre for too long. Whether it's scapegoating or completely deserved is irrelevant, imo. Change is needed. But I would like to see something much more aggressive next year. I don't mind giving a young guy a shot and think the LB core greatly overachieved considering the talent level so the young LB coach works for me.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• This might signal a return to the traditional Belichick type of schemes that we seem to have gotten away from under Pees. To me, Pees seems like he had his own ideas about how defenses should be run. Came from outside the organization. The entire hybrid defense thing just doesn't work with the personnel we draft for our base defense. Also, the coverages were extremely, extremely basic. Seemed like we were in Cover 2 all the time. With Groh accepting the defensive coordinator position at Georgia Tech, Pepper Johnson or Matt Patricia and their background with our older schemes could be just what the doctor ordered. I want to see us confuse the living **** out of opposing quarterbacks again. We haven't seen that in at least three years.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                        This might signal a return to the traditional Belichick type of schemes that we seem to have gotten away from under Pees. To me, Pees seems like he had his own ideas about how defenses should be run. Came from outside the organization. The entire hybrid defense thing just doesn't work with the personnel we draft for our base defense. Also, the coverages were extremely, extremely basic. Seemed like we were in Cover 2 all the time. With Groh accepting the defensive coordinator position at Georgia Tech, Pepper Johnson or Matt Patricia and their background with our older schemes could be just what the doctor ordered. I want to see us confuse the living **** out of opposing quarterbacks again. We haven't seen that in at least three years.
                        Exactly. All of that. I miss the attacking defense that would have heat coming from all angles throughout the course of a game, we need more talent in the front 7 to do that again but god do I miss our defense from 5-6 years ago.

Comment

• We were always aggressive in our defensive heyday. We were never a defense as all out aggressive as say, a Rex Ryan defense, but we were always aggressive. This has been completely lost. We don't even have the type of players who are capable of doing those things right now. We've seem to be obsessed with depth over starters as of late. That just doesn't work. The fact we didn't take Clay Matthews last year, to me, is absolutely indefensible. Shawn Crable is nowhere to be seen and will probably be cut soon if he can't keep himself healthy. The Vince Redd experiment shouldn't have been something we counted on working out. He's not even in the NFL anymore. We tried a classic cheap veteran pickup move with Burgess but that didn't work AT ALL. I think we'll all be royally pissed if we don't spend our draft picks this year...although to be a realist I could see us holding them for another year to take advantage of the rookie salary cap.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                            We were always aggressive in our defensive heyday. We were never a defense as all out aggressive as say, a Rex Ryan defense, but we were always aggressive. This has been completely lost. We don't even have the type of players who are capable of doing those things right now. We've seem to be obsessed with depth over starters as of late. That just doesn't work. The fact we didn't take Clay Matthews last year, to me, is absolutely indefensible. Shawn Crable is nowhere to be seen and will probably be cut soon if he can't keep himself healthy. The Vince Redd experiment shouldn't have been something we counted on working out. He's not even in the NFL anymore. We tried a classic cheap veteran pickup move with Burgess but that didn't work AT ALL. I think we'll all be royally pissed if we don't spend our draft picks this year...although to be a realist I could see us holding them for another year to take advantage of the rookie salary cap.
                            This is what has me nervous for this year, and what has me so happy about the Seymour trade (assuming the Raiders suck again next year).

Something had to change on defense. I personally feel that the DB's (corners specifically) were not as bad as they seemed, just that with 0 pass rush for most of the season they were abused as most defensive backs would be. If we don't draft some sort of rush backer I might put my foot through the tv, and I can't really afford to buy a new tv.
                            Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

• Everyone should read this. http://www.boston.com/sports/columni...aching_st.html

Very, very, very interesting take about the entire coaching staff situation and it really has some validity to it I think.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• would mike nolan be a fit here as a possible defensive coordinator?

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information