Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucs Bring in Culpepper for a visit

From PFT:
    Our pal Steve Duemig of 620 WDAE in Tampa reports that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have snuck quarterback Daunte Culpepper in for a visit.

On the surface, the move makes no sense, given that the Bucs currently have 17.4 quarterbacks on the roster. But, in light of the reality that coach Jon Gruden is on the hot seat and must win in 2007, any potential upgrade is welcome.

And, at his best, Culpepper is better than anything the Bucs currently have.

The question, however, is whether Culpepper can bring it like he did in Minnesota, at least in his good years in Minnesota. He wasn't healthy last year, and if his shredded knee is now fully unshredded, maybe there is reason for optimism.

In Oakland, Gruden turned a former Vikings quarterback into an MVP (Rich Gannon). Though most had assumed that Gruden's reclamation project in 2007 would be Jeff Garcia (whose fading career recovered nicely in 2006), it could be Culpepper who becomes the focal point of Gruden's quarterback tutelage.

Then again, maybe the Bucs are trying to make the Falcons nervous enough to pursue Culpepper, and thus to create even more of a distraction.

We're also hearing rumblings that the Lions might be interested in Culpepper. But given that Jon Kitna has vowed more than 10 wins and is hinting that he thinks he can throw 50 touchdown passes, why would Matt Millen want to interrupt a perfectly good case of delusion?
    Chris Simms = 4th string

what a joke

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...1&postcount=17

I called this...

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
        I was thinking it too.

So, if culpepper signs, do we cut Simms or Grads? Or just have another QB on roster?

Comment

Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
          I was thinking it too.

So, if culpepper signs, do we cut Simms or Grads? Or just have another QB on roster?
          Gruden's vote is for Simms to be gone

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
            I was thinking it too.

We won't cut Grads, I personally guarantee it...

Cutting Chris Simms will be the ultimate last straw in my views toward Gruden. I hate him already, but if he does that I'll request a sig of his head on a silver platter.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Doesn't hurt to kick the tires.
              "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

My Grandfather

Comment

Wow. I'm not sure what to make of Culpepper's visit. One has to wonder whether the team has any serious interest in Culpepper or whether the team is just curious. I guess it can never hurt to know who is out there in free agency though.

Comment

We wouldn't cut Simms unless he was incapable of playing(health). Otherwise Grads would be out the door. Remember how Gruden went on and on about how much he liked Brad Johnson and Brian Griese? And they actually played WELL for him at one point. He'd cut Grads without hesitation if it came to that.

Comment

Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
                    We wouldn't cut Simms unless he was incapable of playing(health). Otherwise Grads would be out the door. Remember how Gruden went on and on about how much he liked Brad Johnson and Brian Griese? And they actually played WELL for him at one point. He'd cut Grads without hesitation if it came to that.
                    I think you would fine that Simms would be cut. How can we afford to have 3 QB's receiving Starter money on the team when the #3 QB would be on < 1 million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                      I think you would fine that Simms would be cut. How can we afford to have 3 QB's receiving Starter money on the team when the #3 QB would be on < 1 million a season.
                      How can we afford it? How couldn't we? We'd still be under the cap no matter what for this year, so it doesn't really matter from a financial standpoint. Who or what do we sign with the savings?

Comment

Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
                        How can we afford it? How couldn't we? We'd still be under the cap no matter what for this year, so it doesn't really matter from a financial standpoint. Who or what do we sign with the savings?
                        Teams do not and will not ever pay 3 QB's starter money to be on a roster. It is that simple. Simms is more likely to be put on the PUP list/IR, traded or cut.

Comment

Gruden already had 3 before Plummer retired. I see no reason why he wouldn't do that again.
                          "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Originally posted by ks_perfection View Post
                            Gruden already had 3 before Plummer retired. I see no reason why he wouldn't do that again.
                            No he did not. He had 3 QB's receiving starter money on a 80+ roster. There is no way that all 3 made the roster without some form of restructuring.

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                              Teams do not and will not ever pay 3 QB's starter money to be on a roster. It is that simple. Simms is more likely to be put on the PUP list/IR, traded or cut.
                              We've already got 2! And are we going to throw starters money at Pep too? Doubtful. Most likely he's going somewhere for a cheap 1 year contract.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information