Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rice Cut!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rice Cut!

    (July 26, 2007) -- As every team gears up for the open of camp, no team had a busier day than the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

    First they signed their first-round draft choice, defensive end Gaines Adams (the No. 4 overall selection) to a six-year, $45.8 million contract that includes $18.5 million worth of guaranteed money.


    Simeon Rice was a hero in 2002, but was unproductive in 2006.
    Then Tampa Bay signed both its second-round picks, offensive lineman Arron Sears and Sabby Piscitelli.

    And then, in the stunner of the day, Tampa Bay cut longtime Pro Bowl defensive end Simeon Rice after he failed his physical. Apparently, Rice still has not recovered from his shoulder problems and Tampa Bay wiped Rice and his $7.2 million base salary off its books.

    And there are other intriguing financial developments in Tampa.

    When players reported to training camp tonight in Orlando, Jake Plummer was not one of them.

    On July 27, the Buccaneers officially will place Plummer on the Reserve/Did Not Report list. By doing so, Plummer will be in violation of his contract, and he will owe the Buccaneers $7 million in bonus money -- money that Tampa Bay intends to pursue. Additionally, the Buccaneers also plan to fine Plummer $14,000 a day for not being in camp, the amount they are allowed to impose under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.

    But as Tampa Bay has pointed out in the past, a player cannot unilaterally retire. A team first must accept a player's retirement papers, and the Buccaneers have no plans to do for Plummer, meaning he is in default of his contract. He actually was in default when he failed to show up to minicamps, but the Buccaneers opted to leave the issue alone for the time being. No longer.

    Plummer might decide to retire, as he has insisted to his friends and family. But the Bucs front office is one tough customer. It's planning to make the decision a costly one for Plummer.

    Tampa Bay's moves just might be the start of them this weekend, too.

    With an additional $7.2 million in salary-cap space, the Buccaneers have the funds they need to sign free-agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Right now, the Buccaneers are the only team that has showed any type of sincere interest in the former Vikings and Dolphins quarterback.

    Culpepper has said he wanted a deal -- preferably a one-year deal -- in place by the start of camp. Tampa Bay clearly would like to have another quarterback in camp, as the Buccaneers feel they never have enough of them.

    And now that they have signed their top three picks, cut Rice, and counted out Plummer, Tampa Bay is free to pursue Culpepper ... in what might be the next big headline out of Tampa.

    http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10270724

    Wow.....busy, busy, busy!

    I'm a little surprised we cut Rice, (this year) though a failed physical is a failed physical, (unless your name is John Lynch) having said that, Bruce Allen doesn't think this is the end for Rice, and Rice himself believes he'll be back in 4 weeks!

    Rumour has it, the Bucs asked Rice to take a pay cut.....he refused!

    If he's not willing this season, he won't be willing next season, so the Bucs management have said, OK, let the future be our present, they obviously have faith in Adams to start this year, so we're moving on.

    Just to add, this particular piece of management, doesn't have the feeling of a HC and GM being worried about their job security.

    I need a new Sig....lols

  • #2
    Brian Brohm baby...one step closer...

    At least we'll still have him in Madden :)

    Honestly...I'm shocked, as I assume all Bucs fans are. Shoulder injury or not he's a major upgrade over Adams and now we are left with minimal depth. I'd hate to be an optimistic Bucs fan right now...

    sig by BoneKrusher

    Comment


    • #3
      Well as an optimistic Buc fan :), I guess this just means that Gaines Adams is going to get a lot of playing time this year.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
        Well as an optimistic Buc fan :), I guess this just means that Gaines Adams is going to get a lot of playing time this year.
        And we will end up 4-12 again. Go Canes Go!

        sig by BoneKrusher

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by etk View Post
          And we will end up 4-12 again. Go Canes Go!
          Well at least we can't actually get any worse. Well we could, but we aren't Raiders bad.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
            Well at least we can't actually get any worse. Well we could, but we aren't Raiders bad.
            Exactly. Baby steps, just baby steps...

            sig by BoneKrusher

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by etk View Post
              Brian Brohm baby...one step closer...

              At least we'll still have him in Madden :)

              Honestly...I'm shocked, as I assume all Bucs fans are. Shoulder injury or not he's a major upgrade over Adams and now we are left with minimal depth. I'd hate to be an optimistic Bucs fan right now...
              It was already going to be his last season in Tampa. The team's not ready to contend in 2007 so it really doesn't matter if he leaves one year early.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StaticGator View Post
                It was already going to be his last season in Tampa. The team's not ready to contend in 2007 so it really doesn't matter if he leaves one year early.
                To some it matters, because some Bucs fans think we're destined for the Super Bowl this year with Garcia the savior.

                sig by BoneKrusher

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by etk View Post
                  To some it matters, because some Bucs fans think we're destined for the Super Bowl this year with Garcia the savior.
                  Well more than a few Bucs fans think Mike Allstott is still an NFL level running back but I don't concern myself with those people.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Man i'd love to have Rice too bad my team couldn't use him..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Shelton Quarles 2.0.

                      At least with Rice he didn't show up for every game, so maybe Adams can do better.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by StaticGator View Post
                        Well more than a few Bucs fans think Mike Allstott is still an NFL level running back but I don't concern myself with those people.
                        Well I think he is still technically a NFL level running back. If he weren't he wouldn't be in the NFL.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by etk View Post
                          Honestly...I'm shocked, as I assume all Bucs fans are. Shoulder injury or not he's a major upgrade over Adams and now we are left with minimal depth. I'd hate to be an optimistic Bucs fan right now...
                          Rice has admitted that his shoulder still isn't right, and that he needs to have more surgery. $7M for a DE that was going to miss some time this season is a lot. Asking him to take a pay cut is not unreasonable.

                          I liked Rice a lot as a player, and he was always pretty interesting as a personality. But it doesn't sound like this year we are talking about the Simeon Rice that we all know, we are talking about a Rice who isn't there physically. Knowing the team isn't going to re-sign him, since they just drafted his replacement, the move doesn't bother me.

                          Now if Rice was 100% I'd be pissed about the move, but he isn't.
                          "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

                          My Grandfather

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Watchman View Post
                            Rice has admitted that his shoulder still isn't right, and that he needs to have more surgery. $7M for a DE that was going to miss some time this season is a lot. Asking him to take a pay cut is not unreasonable.

                            I liked Rice a lot as a player, and he was always pretty interesting as a personality. But it doesn't sound like this year we are talking about the Simeon Rice that we all know, we are talking about a Rice who isn't there physically. Knowing the team isn't going to re-sign him, since they just drafted his replacement, the move doesn't bother me.

                            Now if Rice was 100% I'd be pissed about the move, but he isn't.
                            That doesn't change any of the points I made...he's still better than Adams and we still lack depth.

                            sig by BoneKrusher

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by etk View Post
                              That doesn't change any of the points I made...he's still better than Adams and we still lack depth.
                              I disagree with your assessment that a Simeon Rice who is still hurt, needs more surgery, and then rehab, is better than Adams. Simeon Rice 100% healthy is better than Adams. Simeon Rice with one arm might, stress the might, not be.

                              I'm also not sure how much depth an injured Simeon Rice provides. Though I agree overall the team lacks quality depth on the d-line.
                              "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

                              My Grandfather

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information