Your dream offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your dream offseason

Like previously said, we are $30M under the cap. What would you do and be reasonable about it. We aren't going to get Jared Allen, Albert Haynesworth, and Michael Turner.

Like I said I think the player that can have the biggest effect on our football team in the FA market is Michael Turner. Gruden has always talked about having 2 capable backs (suggested us drafting Adrian Peterson, even though he was bluffing) and I think it gives us insurance in case Cadillac gets hurt again.

So my dream offseason would be:

Sign RB Michael Turner
    Sign WR D.J. Hackett

Draft
    Round 1: Pat Sims DT Auburn (Jr.)
    Round 2: Chris Williams T Vanderbilt
    Round 3: Donnie Avery WR Houston
    Round 4: Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State
    Round 5: Fernando Velasco C/G Georgia

Okay, the Pat Sims pick probably comes as a big shock. He is an underclassman but has had a great season. The core of that Auburn DL. Doesn't register a lot of sacks but he generates a lot of pressure and forces QB to move in the pocket, and his teammates pick up the sack. A very hard worker. Kid is 6'4, 314, and runs a 4.85 40. Sick athleticism. Perfect for our scheme.

The signing of DJ Hackett allows us to draft Sims. I mean I think Sims is the kind of player we will have very highly rated and who we just can't pass up on if he committs to this draft and is available.

Chris Williams has the athletic ability to play LT much like Tony Ugoh. Can learn behind Petitgout/Penn as a rookie and step in during his rookie year. Also can play backup RT as a rookie to Trueblood.

Donnie Avery is an interesting prospect. He is best fit as a slot WR. 5'11 190. 4.29 speed, no joke this kid is fast. Our future at WR would be Stovall, Hackett, and Avery (who knows with Clayton). Pretty good WR corps if Stovall develops, and who knows how long Galloway and Hillard will keep playing.

Lowery is a perfect fit in the Tampa 2 defense. Great ball skills (the WAC doesn't throw at him a lot anymore), good tackling ability, and has a nose for forcing fumbles. Athletic player and a leader he can learn a lot from out vets.

Velasco gives us a lot of bulk and strength at center. Reminds me of LeCharles Bentley.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by BucSappy; 11-26-2007, 06:03 AM.

I dont see why it is unreasonable for us to get jared ALlen or Haynesworth, If we have the most money then it definaatly can happen

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
      I dont see why it is unreasonable for us to get jared ALlen or Haynesworth, If we have the most money then it definaatly can happen
      1. DE isn't a need for us at all, unless for depth.

2. Haynesworth is going to cost a lot of money, and if we sign Hackett and Turner I don't think there will be enough to sign Haynesworth...you complain a lot.

I mean we took a DT in round 1 and I still get criticized for not getting Haynesworth. Our defense is top 5 in nearly every category, we don't need to get Haynesworth.

Comment

Jared Allen will get franchised. Also no more offensive line picks in the 1st day.

Comment

Originally posted by YoJoeBucsFan View Post
          Jared Allen will get franchised. Also no more offensive line picks in the 1st day.
          Why not? Left tackle is clearly a need, Petitgout can't stay healthy. Penn is good but he is nothing special.

Comment

Originally posted by BucSappy View Post
            Draft
            Round 1: Pat Sims DT Auburn (Jr.)
            Round 2: Chris Williams T Vanderbilt
            Round 3: Donnie Avery WR Houston
            Round 4: Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State
            Round 5: Fernando Velasco C/G Georgia
            Not sure about the players, but i like the positions taken. I hope we stay commited to building our team from the lines out.

Free agency will be interesting this year, since it's the first time we've had money to spend under the Gruden era. We'll see if they continue the strategy of reviving washed up bums from other franchises, or if we actually part with some money to sign elite talent.

I love the possibility of signing RB - Turner, but what do we do with Graham. I doubt he'll be happy reverting to 3rd string after this season. Any thoughts on whether he holds any trade value? mid-round pick or Samkon Gado value?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Fear View Post
              Not sure about the players, but i like the positions taken. I hope we stay commited to building our team from the lines out.

Free agency will be interesting this year, since it's the first time we've had money to spend under the Gruden era. We'll see if they continue the strategy of reviving washed up bums from other franchises, or if we actually part with some money to sign elite talent.

I love the possibility of signing RB - Turner, but what do we do with Graham. I doubt he'll be happy reverting to 3rd string after this season. Any thoughts on whether he holds any trade value? mid-round pick or Samkon Gado value?
              I don't think Graham has any more trade value than what he will be worth to this team even as a 3rd string RB.

I mean we sign Turner, or maybe someone like Fred Taylor, then you start him Week 1. I think we need ot make the most of our OL, and quite frankly Graham isn't as good as Turner or Taylor.

And this isn't the first year we have had money to spend in teh FA market. We did just bring in Luke Petitgout, Jeff Garcia, Kevin Carter, and Cato June.

Comment

Originally posted by BucSappy View Post
                And this isn't the first year we have had money to spend in teh FA market. We did just bring in Luke Petitgout, Jeff Garcia, Kevin Carter, and Cato June.
                I suppose, but we've yet to make a real splash in free agency. These are all 'B' level FA's at best, and tend to reinforce our frugal approach to FA. These signings made sense last year since we had a lot of needs. I just question whether Bucs management is willing to spend the money required to get top free agents. Personally, I like the way we've managed our cap over the recent years. I prefer seeing us build through the draft and save our cap space to re-sign those players (whether their worth re-signing, ie. Clayton, Cadillac...com'on prove your worth!). That said, we currently don't have any glaring needs, but there's plenty of areas that could use upgrades. So I guess this should be the year we make that splash if we have 30 mil to spend.

Comment

Win the lotto, pay off the house, buy some cars, put a bunch of money away, go on a cruise or something, buy some more cars, take the kids to Disney, go on vacation (after Disney), buy a new house, go on vacation, buy some new stuff for the new house, set up the new saltwater aquarium, go on vacation, spend week 1 at the Bellagio in Vegas.

That'd do it. If all that happened I'd just catch up with what the Bucs did during their offseason before kick off of week 1 in between getting some bets down.

Forgot to add giving some people at the office a piece of my mind - after winning the lotto of course.
                  "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

My Grandfather

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Fear View Post

If we sign Turner, it will be Caddy leaving, not Graham. Caddy's useless to us as a backup. There's the injury problems, the contract, and I don't think he would take a spot on the bench too kindly (he is a great person though). Graham has spent his whole career as a backup, knows his role, is durable and is one of our best special teamers (has the passion for it).

Our RB situation would have to look like any of these options:
                    1) Turner, Cadillac, Graham [Bennett, Darby]
                    2) Turner, Graham, {Bennett, Darby or outsider}
                    3) Turner, Graham & Pittman [Bennett & Darby]

The second one makes the most sense for this team IMO.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

"Our top story on ESPN, Jeff Garcia has found the fountain of youth and has reverted back to the age of 20."

But seriously, Pat Sims? Over a Clady/Baker or a J-Stew? I'd rather draft a corner like Jenkins/Cason and get rid of Kelly. I don't like Sims' lack of productivity and I think he profiles more as a UT in the pros, frankly he shouldn't even THINK about leaving early anyways, so it's a moot point.

Comment

Colt Brennan in round three (or even the second round) would make me happy, and we need a LDE...and a LT, as long as we fill those need and add a coupel of high priced luxuries, I would be happy
                        Gamertag: OnABoat16 (Games: NCAA 10, NHL 10, Tiger Woods 10)

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                        Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
                        Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
                        A fan of the USF Bulls

Comment

Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
                          "Our top story on ESPN, Jeff Garcia has found the fountain of youth and has reverted back to the age of 20."

But seriously, Pat Sims? Over a Clady/Baker or a J-Stew? I'd rather draft a corner like Jenkins/Cason and get rid of Kelly. I don't like Sims' lack of productivity and I think he profiles more as a UT in the pros, frankly he shouldn't even THINK about leaving early anyways, so it's a moot point.
                          Thumbs up! I'd probably run out of ink if I made up a list of the players I'd draft ahead of Sims and printed it out.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

The thing with Turner is that A) we don't usually overpay for guys and B) top FAs usually look past Tampa because they either want a boatload or to go to a top contender, we usually offer neither. Turner is almost assuredly going to be the most sought after FA, and the team who gets him is going to win (or lose, depending on how you see it) a bidding war for the guy. I don't think Bruce or Jon is going to want to pay out the rear for a guy who hasn't been THE back. It's like an even more pricey Chester Taylor or LaMont Jordan situation.

Also, I don't see Lowery falling into day 2 (bottom half of the 4th at that). I'd prefer his talent in the 3rd over Avery anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
                              The thing with Turner is that A) we don't usually overpay for guys and B) top FAs usually look past Tampa because they either want a boatload or to go to a top contender, we usually offer neither. Turner is almost assuredly going to be the most sought after FA, and the team who gets him is going to win (or lose, depending on how you see it) a bidding war for the guy. I don't think Bruce or Jon is going to want to pay out the rear for a guy who hasn't been THE back. It's like an even more pricey Chester Taylor or LaMont Jordan situation.

Also, I don't see Lowery falling into day 2 (bottom half of the 4th at that). I'd prefer his talent in the 3rd over Avery anyway.
                              Michael Turner is well worth the investment. He's done more than just produce in limited time. If you actually watch him play, he looks like he could be a star as a feature back. There's no guarantee, but I actually think he's one of the 10 most talented backs in the league. He's proven more than Taylor & Jordan did when it comes to taking advantage of limited touches (behind a record-breaking MVP mind you).

I don't see Lowery in the 4th either. He could drop into the new Day 2 though.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information