Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a New RB behind Graham

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need a New RB behind Graham

    Profootballtalk.com reports that there are "rumors" in Mobile, Alabama that Carnell Williams' career is in jeopardy following his torn patellar tendon last season.

    Keep in mind these are just rumors, not a report. But this goes along with a Yahoo report last October, and a note from the St. Petersburg Times last week that Williams may not help the Bucs in 2008. This makes it more important that the Bucs re-sign Earnest Graham. They will probably add another decent back, possibly in the draft.


    not looking to good.
    Dolfan since 1979

  • #2
    Well it looks like the John Stewart pick, makes a bit more sense. Maybe a Chris Johnson type in the 2nd round. Or I guess we could go after Turner

    Comment


    • #3
      If true....That's huge. My condolences go out to Caddy.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'll listen to PFT when they prove to be reliable and not a moment sooner.

        The consensus was he'd be out for a big chunk of next season most likely, that he still has 10+ months of recovery and they shouldn't rely on having him available for the next season. From that to saying his career is completely over and done with within a month or so does not go along at all really. Why would that small window in the early stages of recovery give that much of an indication?

        Comment


        • #5
          I saw on ESPN tonight that Mel Kiper (the genious that he is) has us taking Felix Jones from Arkansas with our first pick.

          What are your guy's thoughts?
          Dolfan since 1979

          Comment


          • #6
            I think a lot depends on the board for you guys at 20 (assuming you stay put), but I think taking a RB in the first round is a bit of a waste. Adding someone like Chris Johnson in the 2nd to complement Earnest would be fine. If a Slaton is there in the 3rd and you pass earlier, that would make sense as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't think a Johnson or Slaton type would be a smart pick. Our offense is designed for bigger backs that can grind out yards up the middle. That's why Earnest was more effective than Cadillac despite having less talent...he's a decisive runner that gets forward progress and he's a good receiver. Johnson and Slaton are hardly upgrades over Michael Bennett, a smaller speed back that plays on some 3rd downs.

              If these rumors are true, which I doubt, then we should go after Stewart or Mendenhall in Round One, with backup options of Jamaal Charles & Tashard Choice. I think Charles would give us a new dimension to our offense while Choice is a solid overall back that could be a reliable backup.

              I, like dbtb, feel Caddy will be fine by 2009, and I see no reason to rush Caddy back into play. I think the smartest option at this point would be to draft Jacob Hester as a backup, keep Bennett as a change-of-pace and have a back like Ken Darby on the PR. Hester could be used in multiple ways in multiple formations and he's a terrific special teamer. If Cadillac's injury worsens, we can sign or draft a back next year and move Hester to other roles in the offense.

              sig by BoneKrusher

              Comment


              • #8
                With the number of injuries at the RB position, I've shifted to a quantity over quality philosophy, and I hate the idea of taking one in the 1st round. Unless we are talking about talent too great to pass up, I don't see the value there when Graham played so well this season. We should draft a LT if we want to improve our running game.

                I'm also against shelling out the required cap to bring in Turner. Our best bet would be to draft a mid/late round RB to split the load with Graham, Bennett, and hopefully Caddy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah, I agree with that. I think our running game would improve more if we upgraded our run blocking at LT and C and drafted a back for depth, rather than draft or sign an elite back early on with no additional line help.

                  sig by BoneKrusher

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by etk View Post
                    our running game would improve more if we upgraded our run blocking at C.
                    C is a major priority in this draft. In fact, I wouldn't have a problem drafting one in the 1st if there was a Mangold type talent available. I don't know much about any of this year's C prospects, but Scott has Steve Justice ranked #1 and he's not worth more than a 3rd at this point.

                    Hopefully someone will show something at the combine and we get a steal in the mid/late rounds.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Steve Justice is overrated IMO and not a good option for our offense. My favorite centers in the draft are Cody Wallace, Mike Pollak, John Sullivan, Fernando Velasco and Kory Lichtensteiger, probably in that order. I think we might end up drafting a guy like Drew Miller, who looks like a Wade clone, much later in the draft. Velasco is probably the best run blocker of the group.

                      sig by BoneKrusher

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by etk View Post
                        I don't think a Johnson or Slaton type would be a smart pick. Our offense is designed for bigger backs that can grind out yards up the middle. That's why Earnest was more effective than Cadillac despite having less talent...he's a decisive runner that gets forward progress and he's a good receiver. Johnson and Slaton are hardly upgrades over Michael Bennett, a smaller speed back that plays on some 3rd downs.

                        If these rumors are true, which I doubt, then we should go after Stewart or Mendenhall in Round One, with backup options of Jamaal Charles & Tashard Choice. I think Charles would give us a new dimension to our offense while Choice is a solid overall back that could be a reliable backup.

                        I, like dbtb, feel Caddy will be fine by 2009, and I see no reason to rush Caddy back into play. I think the smartest option at this point would be to draft Jacob Hester as a backup, keep Bennett as a change-of-pace and have a back like Ken Darby on the PR. Hester could be used in multiple ways in multiple formations and he's a terrific special teamer. If Cadillac's injury worsens, we can sign or draft a back next year and move Hester to other roles in the offense.
                        Graham had a lot going for him. He always went forward and got extra yards, he was a good receiver which Gruden loved, and the line finally came together for him. I think Gruden still prefers the smaller, pass catching backs a little though.

                        If we were without Caddy, Choice would be the ideal replacement IMO. We can focus our first two picks on bigger needs, since few people had RB as one of our biggest needs before even though Caddy was likely out for next year and we didn't know how well he was going to come back anyway. Then we can get a similar back to Caddy in the 3rd. Ideal to me anyway.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by etk View Post
                          Steve Justice is overrated IMO and not a good option for our offense. My favorite centers in the draft are Cody Wallace, Mike Pollak, John Sullivan, Fernando Velasco and Kory Lichtensteiger, probably in that order. I think we might end up drafting a guy like Drew Miller, who looks like a Wade clone, much later in the draft. Velasco is probably the best run blocker of the group.
                          I really like Lichtensteiger, and Velasco would be a nice C project with size late in the draft. Also, along the same lines we could take Mike McGlynn and have him and Buenning both in transition to center, hoping the odds would be on their side of at least one of them being a really good center with size. But I don't like Wallace. He looks as weak as John Wade is.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think a guy like Chris Johnson, Justin Forsett or Steve Slaton would be ideal for the Bucs.

                            If you remember how effectively Gruden used Charlie Garner at Oakland, you know that a speedy good receiving back can be deadly in his offense. All of these guys really fit the bill and can provide good value as a returner as well.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              how come no love for Sam Baker from USC to take care of our left tackle position?
                              Dolfan since 1979

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information