Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Draft Grades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Caddy View Post
    We can cut Mahan at any time without any bonuses to worry about.
    Where are we at in terms of the cap floor though? Pitt was left holding his accelerated SB, but he's also got a decent sized base to go with. And we probably aren't thinking of cutting him because who else would back-up center? Z played some snaps there last year, but I don't think the team wants him being the only back-up on the interior especially given his lack of experience at center, one of the most important positions on O.

    We can cut him, but I don't see how we would...

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
      Where are we at in terms of the cap floor though? Pitt was left holding his accelerated SB, but he's also got a decent sized base to go with. And we probably aren't thinking of cutting him because who else would back-up center? Z played some snaps there last year, but I don't think the team wants him being the only back-up on the interior especially given his lack of experience at center, one of the most important positions on O.

      We can cut him, but I don't see how we would...
      Well you were talking about his contract when it is obviously not an issue.

      And according to Pewter Report we are above the salary cap floor. We should definitely use some of it on contracts in my opinion. Give guys like Tanard and Barrett new contracts with big signing bonuses and low (lower than normal) base salaries.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Caddy View Post
        Well you were talking about his contract when it is obviously not an issue.

        And according to Pewter Report we are above the salary cap floor. We should definitely use some of it on contracts in my opinion. Give guys like Tanard and Barrett new contracts with big signing bonuses and low (lower than normal) base salaries.
        I didn't say it was an issue, I'm just saying there's a few reasons why he's a pretty safe bet to make the roster. Thats the second time now that you think more is implied than I'm saying. Just take it at face value, maybe?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
          I didn't say it was an issue, I'm just saying there's a few reasons why he's a pretty safe bet to make the roster. Thats the second time now that you think more is implied than I'm saying. Just take it at face value, maybe?
          I agree that he will make the roster. I was just querying the relevance of contract information when talking about whether Xavier Fulton has a legitimate chance of making the roster.
          Last edited by Caddy; 05-12-2009, 06:38 AM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Caddy View Post
            I agree that he will make the roster. I was just querying the relevance of contract information when talking about whether Xavier Fulton has a legitimate chance of making the roster.
            The same relevance I mentioned, there's one roster spot left on the line unless we carry more guys than we have in the past. He beats out Alibi and Lee, and he's in. I don't think he does though.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
              The same relevance I mentioned, there's one roster spot left on the line unless we carry more guys than we have in the past. He beats out Alibi and Lee, and he's in. I don't think he does though.
              I think he handles Alibi quite easily to be honest.

              Comment


              • #37
                Alibi is a RT. Fulton needs to beat out Lee by a decent margin, who is a swing tackle, and hope the team has a ton of confidence in Trueblood. Otherwise, they could end up keeping someone who is capable at RT. Which is why I think Lee has the advantage. He's seen reps at both. Alibi isn't a LT. Fulton isn't a RT.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
                  Alibi is a RT. Fulton needs to beat out Lee by a decent margin, who is a swing tackle, and hope the team has a ton of confidence in Trueblood. Otherwise, they could end up keeping someone who is capable at RT. Which is why I think Lee has the advantage. He's seen reps at both. Alibi isn't a LT. Fulton isn't a RT.
                  Alibi is nothing more than a journeyman tackle. He has absolutely no potential for the future, unlike Fulton who is a very solid fit in our new ZBS scheme, something I don't think Alibi is.

                  With the youth movement in full swing I just expect Lee to be the #3 tackle at both positions and Fulton to make it based on potential as the #4.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                    Alibi is nothing more than a journeyman tackle. He has absolutely no potential for the future, unlike Fulton who is a very solid fit in our new ZBS scheme, something I don't think Alibi is.

                    With the youth movement in full swing I just expect Lee to be the #3 tackle at both positions and Fulton to make it based on potential as the #4.
                    What makes you think we keep 9 linemen this year?

                    And if the staff thinks Trueblood is a weak(er) link on the line, why would they keep a tackle this year that couldn't play his spot?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I think we are a solid bet to keep 9 lineman this year. Moreso than last due to the change in systems which could worry a few of our players.

                      I never said Fulton couldn't play his spot as in a ZBS I think he could be effective. The potential I was talking about was his ceiling, not where he is currently at which is at a back-up level. No better or worse than most back-up lineman you see throughout the league.

                      I don't think it is hard to imagine us keeping Joseph, Faine, Sears, Penn, Trueblood, Mahan, Zuttah and Lee all on the roster. Although I could see a situation where neither Alibi or Fulton make the roster and we just carry one extra tackle.

                      With a new coaching regime in place I think there is a lot of room for new players to win roster spots, Fulton included.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                        I think we are a solid bet to keep 9 lineman this year. Moreso than last due to the change in systems which could worry a few of our players.
                        I would agree with that, except our guys are basically locks. It's not like we're really going to be plugging in guys outside of injury. If our guys have trouble with it, we're going to stick to them so it's not like we need to carry more guys. We're not going to be using anymore linemen. If this were the line of 2003 or so, I could see us keeping more in that there's more competition for if guys struggle. More subbing. Thats not going to happen. We're not going to have a quick pull on Davin or Sears or Faine. Likely not on Penn either. True only if he really struggles.

                        Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                        I never said Fulton couldn't play his spot as in a ZBS I think he could be effective. The potential I was talking about was his ceiling, not where he is currently at which is at a back-up level. No better or worse than most back-up lineman you see throughout the league.
                        We're running a more power ZBS, like New England, not the tiny linemen ZBS of the Denvers of the world. Thats why no one is worried about guys like Davin or Sears who are straight maulers. Not even much of a concern for Trueblood transition-wise from what I've heard.

                        And no, I don't think there's any way Fulton ever plays RT for us. That'd be worse than Yatta playing RT for us.

                        Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                        I don't think it is hard to imagine us keeping Joseph, Faine, Sears, Penn, Trueblood, Mahan, Zuttah and Lee all on the roster. Although I could see a situation where neither Alibi or Fulton make the roster and we just carry one extra tackle.

                        With a new coaching regime in place I think there is a lot of room for new players to win roster spots, Fulton included.
                        Thats what I'm saying. We kept 8 the past 2 or 3 years. Why would we keep 9 this year? If he performs well enough and beats out Lee, he could make the roster. But I don't see otherwise.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
                          And no, I don't think there's any way Fulton ever plays RT for us. That'd be worse than Yatta playing RT for us.

                          Thats what I'm saying. We kept 8 the past 2 or 3 years. Why would we keep 9 this year? If he performs well enough and beats out Lee, he could make the roster. But I don't see otherwise.
                          We all know that isn't possible. :(

                          We opened the 2008 season with 2 offensive tackles. I just don't think it would be that shocking if we did it again.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I thought our reserve OL last year were Mahan, Zuttah, and Lee? Who am I missing?

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I don't think we drafted Fulton to place him on the practice squad and back up at G. If we're gonna play "read the staff" here, I say we drafted him for his versatility as a backup right now on the active roster.

                              sig by BoneKrusher

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
                                I thought our reserve OL last year were Mahan, Zuttah, and Lee? Who am I missing?
                                Anthony Davis. Until he was cut about a month into the season.

                                Originally posted by etk View Post
                                I don't think we drafted Fulton to place him on the practice squad and back up at G. If we're gonna play "read the staff" here, I say we drafted him for his versatility as a backup right now on the active roster.
                                ^^ What he said.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information