No announcement yet.

Race for #1 pick heating up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of drafting Best Available player... In the 07 draft I figured if Calvin Johnson wasn't available at the 4 spot that we should draft A. Peterson... I was pretty much called an idiot on other boards because we had Caddy.. I still think you got to weigh need vs B.A.P. but you can't pass on supreme talent.. Scouts and most NFL people are projecting Berry as the next Ed Reed and from what I have seen from him I wouldn't disagree..
    The good drafting teams do not pass on BAP over need...
    Last edited by KennyG; 01-03-2010, 10:31 AM.

Josh Freeman by Kenbo Slice

Comment

Originally posted by ABoyNamedSuh View Post
      damnit! lol

At 4, how do you guys feel about OLB Rolando McClain? I know of Mr. Berry and respect his immense talent, but if McCoy and Suh are gone, I still feel like we should upgrade our front 7 before we pick up Berry. We could still have a shot at OLB/DE Sergio Kindle or DT Marvin Austin at the top of the second, IMO.

(I honestly haven't seen Morgan play, either.)
      McClain is a beast. If both Suh and McCoy are gone and we lose Ruud to FA, I would be happy with the Bucs selecting McClain. Kenny, McClain at #4 isn't much of a reach, since there's talk that the Chiefs may select him.

With that said, I doubt we lose Ruud to free agency unless a new CBA is reached, because I believe he'd be a RFA in an uncapped year. (Same goes for Donald Penn.)

As for Derrick Morgan, he's been compared to Jevon Kearse. He needs to work on developing some repetoire of pass rushing moves, but he should be a good NFL player.
      Last edited by Legacy; 01-03-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyG View Post
        Speaking of drafting Best Available player... In the 07 draft I figured if Calvin Johnson wasn't available at the 4 spot that we should draft A. Peterson... I was pretty much called an idiot on other boards because we had Caddy.. I still think you got to weigh need vs B.A.P. but you can't pass on supreme talent.. Scouts and most NFL people are projecting Berry as the next Ed Reed and from what I have seen from him I wouldn't disagree..
        The good drafting teams do not pass on BAP over need...
        This isn't really relevant.

Adams was the consensus best defensive player in that draft. As far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe the team felt like he wasn't the BAP at that point. (Though we obviously know we were wrong now.) As I recall, nearly every team and analyst agreed that he would be an elite pass rusher at the next level.

If you believe otherwise, just go back and look at Monte Kiffin's press conference immediately after we selected Adams. The man was absolutely ecstatic thinking we'd landed the second coming of Simeon Rice.

Comment

This isn't really relevant.

Adams was the consensus best defensive player in that draft. As far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe the team felt like he wasn't the BAP at that point. (Though we obviously know we were wrong now.) As I recall, nearly every team and analyst agreed that he would be an elite pass rusher at the next level.

If you believe otherwise, just go back and look at Monte Kiffin's press conference immediately after we selected Adams. The man was absolutely ecstatic thinking we'd landed the second coming of Simeon Rice.

I think it is very relevant... When you pass on Steven Jackson for M. Clayton, when you pass on Adrian Peterson for Gaines Adams, pass on Shawn Merriman for Carnell Williams ect. ect. the list goes on.. If I could tell that Adrian Peterson was the most explosive player in the 07 draft why couldn't the Buc's?
          You shouldn't pass on Best available player just to fill a need...

Let's say that McCoy and Suh are gone, most have Berry as the top overall ranked NFL prospect, would you pass on Berry to get Morgan? Of course you don't... I mean I could even make a case to pick Berry over McCoy but I don't think that would happen...
          Last edited by KennyG; 01-03-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyG View Post
            You shouldn't pass on Best available player just to fill a need...
            Again, there was no indication that Gaines Adams wasn't that guy. Adrian Peterson was a fantastic prospect, but everyone expected Adams to be "Just-Add-Water-Instant-Simeon-Rice."

I don't agree with the "BPA all the time" method of drafting, anyway. Suppose, for example, that Bradford is somehow still on the board when the Saints, Colts or Patriots pick. In that situation, he'd likely be the BPA, but there's no reason for any of those three teams to take him.

Comment

Legacy I didn't say that Gaines was not regarded as the top pass rusher coming out in 07 but at the time after Calvin J. there wasn't a sure fire home run like Peterson was.. Of course Best Available Player does not mean draft a QB with your first pick when you have a Hall of Famer at QB in their prime or even when you drafted one early the year before... Your taking it out of context a little...
              Look at the Colts for instance - I would say there off. is pretty good dosn't need a lot of help yet they drafted BPA last year and picked D. Brown after spending a #1 on J. Addai (who's a pretty good back) what 2 - 3 years back?
              Last edited by KennyG; 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

We'll just have to agree to disagree, Kenny. I still maintain that Gaines Adams was considered a sure-fire pick in that draft.

As for the draft order, everyone here should be rooting for the Chiefs (who are currently winning). If they defeat the Broncos we are assured a choice of at least 1 of the top 3 defenders in this draft.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned no player can ever be labeled a sure fire pick.

Comment

Agreed. lol. Go Cheifs!

Comment

Go Chiefs!!! Woot!!

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information