Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruud had how many tackles?!

A reason to re-sign Ruud: 205 tackles

Linebacker Barrett Ruud made a strong case for the Bucs to consider signing him to a new contract.

After recording 20 tackles in Sunday's 20-10 loss to the Falcons, Ruud finished with 205 tackles. The last player to surpass the 200-tackle plateau in a single season was linebacker Hardy Nickerson, who had 214 tackles in 1993.

Ruud is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. But if there is no extension to the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and its players, there will be no salary cap in 2010. That means Ruud will be among the 212 players who will go from unrestricted to restricted. The Bucs will have the right to match any offer he receives from another team.

Under that scenario, a player will need six years to reach free unrestricted free agency.

Ruud says he is disappointed he might not enjoy free agency.

"I think everybody would be,'' Ruud said. "Thereís 212 guys in that situation and I think weíre all hoping for the CBA to get signed up. If it doesnít, I donít know. Itís the next step from there. But I think thereís 212 guys in my situation that are rooting for the CBA to get signed.''

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2010/...5-tackles.html

Another case of team tackle numbers conflicting with league tackle numbers.

Comment

NFL.com has Ruud at 142 TOT's, so...
      Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
      Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
      Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Oh, and the 49ers had Willis at 226 tackles in 2007. Just saying.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that is accurate, just posting it here for my fellow Buccaneers.

FWIW, there was a blog on this topic on ESPN by the NFC South blogger and he said that Tampa Bay had made a joke of tackle stats when Hardy Nickerson was still playing. Something along the lines of "Hardy would get you 12 tackles on Sunday and then another 12 on Monday" after the Buc coaches watched film.

Comment

But who cares when the tackles are 8 yards down the field?
            save Freeman

Comment

Another reason why I only pay attention to the stats listed on NFL.com.

As for Ruud potentially leaving in FA, I'm not entirely sure it would happen, even if the CBA is extended. He's really on suited for playing in the Tampa 2, as evidenced by how poorly he performed in Bates's system early in the year. The only team I could see displaying some interest in him would be Indy. UFA status would only be helpful for helping him drive up the asking price to re-sign with Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
                But who cares when the tackles are 8 yards down the field?

I'm with you on that one!!! The guy gets to the ball when there four yards past the line, can't shed a block. I love Ruud and think he's in the 7 to 12 range of MLB in this league. Heck maybe he'll be way better when we have Dt's that don't get pushed back into his lap on every run play.

I say pay the man! Not to much, guy's a 4 to 5 mill a year player.

Comment

With an offseason to hone his abilities in Rah's own T2 system I think we'll see a much better Ruud next year. The DL talent we'll hopefully bring in will help mask his problem of shedding blocks.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

Comment

Bottom line is that Ruud isn't a problem on this team. Our MLB situation is one that many teams should envy, and he should be re-signed.

Don't make one of our strengths a weakness.

Comment

Bottom line is that Ruud isn't a problem on this team. Our MLB situation is one that many teams should envy, and he should be re-signed.

Don't make one of our strengths a weakness.
                      True.. And if someone has an off year you just don't get rid of him or in this case not resign him.. Rudd is young still and no Dline has hurt all our LBs.. We were talking Rudd was snubbed as a Pro Bowler the year before...

Josh Freeman by Kenbo Slice

Comment

He's coming back. If no CBA comes into play he has no choice. We'll tender him as a first rounder and nobody will bite.

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                          Another reason why I only pay attention to the stats listed on NFL.com.

As for Ruud potentially leaving in FA, I'm not entirely sure it would happen, even if the CBA is extended. He's really on suited for playing in the Tampa 2, as evidenced by how poorly he performed in Bates's system early in the year. The only team I could see displaying some interest in him would be Indy. UFA status would only be helpful for helping him drive up the asking price to re-sign with Tampa.
                          Yeah, and Indy NEVER bids high on LBs... ever!

However, the Bears are sticking to the t-2, the Vikings presumably are as well AND the Giants will likely be using it with Perry Fewell being hired as DC. Former Buc LB coach Gus Bradley was retained as DC by Pete Carroll in Seattle but they didn't really run the t-2 in years past.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information