Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amobi Okoye will NOT be a Buc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Amobi Okoye will NOT be a Buc

    I'm surprised it took me this long to realize this, I'm surprised nobody has realized this yet.

    http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3235

    Kevin Carter is not going to be a base DE for us, we have all been confused by the label "Kevin Carter DE signs with Buccaneers". He is 6'6 305 and will be a DT for us, probbaly mixed in the rotation with Wyms. The only reason he is listed as DE is because he was a 3-4 DE for Miami, but as you can see he is much too big to play end for us. This makes me even happier about the signing because when you look at his sack totals you see he can rush the passer, with 17 of them in 1999.

    We will no longer draft Okoye if this is the case, but we will probably draft a young DT nonetheless somewhere in the first 4 rounds. This now leaves us with 2 options:

    1. CJ
    2a. Jamaal Anderson
    2b. Gaines Adams

    I would still like to trade down if CJ is not available, but I think it is less likely. The only chance we draft Okoye is if we trade down and those 2 guys are taken, but hopefully Landry would also have to be taken before we go for Okoye.

    sig by BoneKrusher

  • #2
    Eh, I still think it's Amobi or CJ.

    bonekrusher on the sig magic
    <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
    <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

    Comment


    • #3
      We wont draft 19 year old Amobi Okoye because we just signed a 30 something DE turned DT who averages 5 sacks per year to a non guaranteed contract? Yea, that makes sense

      Ellis Wyms
      Chris Hovan
      Kevin Carter
      Julian Jenkins

      We need DT it is oobvious

      Comment


      • #4
        The signing of Kevin Carter has little to no impact on whether we draft Amobi Okoye. Carter is 32 years old and will most likely get cut after 1, possibly 2 seasons in Tampa leaving the door wide open for Okoye, if he were to be our pick.

        Comment


        • #5
          Julian Jenkins is a DE btw....

          Anyways my point was that we now have a fine rotation at UT for the season with Carter and Wyms. Neither of them are the future but I believe that both will be solid and can get the job done this year. There is no question we MUST draft a DT this year, I just think this move allows us to take someone like Mebane, who maybe wouldn't be a starter this year but would be given time to develop under Carter and Wyms. He would get lots of playing time as well, providing depth as a rookie.

          Some of you don't understand that it doesn't take a top 10 pick to get a good defensive player. We can address some of our needs later in the draft, and those players can and should be successful.

          sig by BoneKrusher

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by etk View Post
            Julian Jenkins is a DE btw....

            Anyways my point was that we now have a fine rotation at UT for the season with Carter and Wyms. Neither of them are the future but I believe that both will be solid and can get the job done this year. There is no question we MUST draft a DT this year, I just think this move allows us to take someone like Mebane, who maybe wouldn't be a starter this year but would be given time to develop under Carter and Wyms. He would get lots of playing time as well, providing depth as a rookie.

            Some of you don't understand that it doesn't take a top 10 pick to get a good defensive player. We can address some of our needs later in the draft, and those players can and should be successful.
            Having a fine rotation at UT for the upcoming season is hardly a reason not to draft Okoye. Clearly Okoye would be a project, needing a couple of years before he could become an every down player.

            I am not sure what position your last comment doesnt apply to. It doesnt take a top 10 pick to get a good player at any position. Although one could argue that there isnt a bigger need on this team than an UT.

            You talk about needs that could be adequately addressed in later rounds, how about WR?

            Comment


            • #7
              You don't want us to take CJ?

              We can get future starters for us at DE & UT in Rounds 2-4. There is not a huge discrepancy between Adams/Anderson/Okoye and Harrell/Crowder/Johnson IMO. I don't think CJ & Johnnie Lee Higgins are exactly on the same platform.......

              sig by BoneKrusher

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by etk View Post
                You don't want us to take CJ?

                We can get future starters for us at DE & UT in Rounds 2-4. There is not a huge discrepancy between Adams/Anderson/Okoye and Harrell/Crowder/Johnson IMO. I don't think CJ & Johnnie Lee Higgins are exactly on the same platform.......
                I would be thrilled with CJ, but am starting to believe that he will be gone by the time that we pick.

                While WR is not our biggest need, you are right, CJ would be too good to pass up on.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by etk View Post
                  You don't want us to take CJ?

                  We can get future starters for us at DE & UT in Rounds 2-4. There is not a huge discrepancy between Adams/Anderson/Okoye and Harrell/Crowder/Johnson IMO. I don't think CJ & Johnnie Lee Higgins are exactly on the same platform.......
                  CJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Johnni e Lee Higgins

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    how someone can say DT is our biggest need puzzles me

                    C, DE, and S are more "right now" pressing needs at this point....maybe in a year or 2 DT will be our number 1 need. Wyms is good enough and Hovan is a great starter. Both S spots are horrible and we just lost D.White to FA

                    DT is not our biggest need, and it can be adressed in rounds 3 or 4


                    -sig by jkpigskin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by -black View Post
                      how someone can say DT is our biggest need puzzles me

                      C, DE, and S are more "right now" pressing needs at this point....maybe in a year or 2 DT will be our number 1 need. Wyms is good enough and Hovan is a great starter. Both S spots are horrible and we just lost D.White to FA

                      DT is not our biggest need, and it can be adressed in rounds 3 or 4
                      I love you, +++++++++++++++rep!!!! DT is an equal need to S though IMO.

                      sig by BoneKrusher

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Booger View Post
                        Having a fine rotation at UT for the upcoming season is hardly a reason not to draft Okoye. Clearly Okoye would be a project, needing a couple of years before he could become an every down player.

                        I am not sure what position your last comment doesnt apply to. It doesnt take a top 10 pick to get a good player at any position. Although one could argue that there isnt a bigger need on this team than an UT.

                        You talk about needs that could be adequately addressed in later rounds, how about WR?
                        WR is deep this year, but NONE of the other receivers compare to Calvin Johnson. He is a truly rare talent.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by etk View Post
                          I love you, +++++++++++++++rep!!!! DT is an equal need to S though IMO.


                          I thought it was pretty obvious what our needs are come Draft time, but I guess not....

                          I think S and DE, and C need to be adressed in the first 3 rounds...im hoping Kalil in the 2nd....he will IMO complete our OL movement.

                          I think we can live with what we have and a rookie this year at DT. But I really think we need new starters at S


                          -sig by jkpigskin

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by -black View Post
                            I thought it was pretty obvious what our needs are come Draft time, but I guess not....

                            I think S and DE, and C need to be adressed in the first 3 rounds...im hoping Kalil in the 2nd....he will IMO complete our OL movement.

                            I think we can live with what we have and a rookie this year at DT. But I really think we need new starters at S
                            If you honestly think Ellis Wyms can be a full time starter you have been slightly misinformed. Wyms is good, but he is not the dominant force at UT that we need in a Cover 2 style defense. We need a DT, however if it is not one of the elite DT's, we really cannot afford to waste picks on a mediocre one.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Gruden fell in love with Okoye at the Senior Bowl and we have a bunch of mediocre talent at DT. I still say we take Okoye. Saying that, if we trade down we're most likely having 3 2nd rounders, correct? We could theoretically put a nice package together and jump up to the 20-25 range and get an Adam Carriker, or a Brandon Meriweather.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information