Bucs will not reach out to any free agents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucs will not reach out to any free agents

The Bucs are not doing anything and I'm a little torn about it. The fan in me wanted us to sign Peppers or Kampman to help out. Its hard to just sit and watch as other teams make big move after big move. But I also like the approach the Bucs are taking, Super Bowls are never won in March. Just go ask the Redskins. Building through the draft is the right way to go. The Giants won a Super Bowls that way. Yeah they had two big free agents signing that helped them win it, but most of the team was through the draft and look at them now. Going out and signing big name free agents the last two years that aren't worth the money there paying them.

I also like the fact that were not spending big money on this years crop of free agents. The pool was watered down by the uncapped year and there will be a new CBA within the next two years. If I had to bet, I think the Bucs are going to try to trade down once or twice and get a couple extra second round picks.

Here's the link to what our Gm said about not signing anyone http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=25496
    Last edited by bigbuc; 03-06-2010, 02:55 PM.

I'm a big advocate of building through the draft so I'm not overly concerned.

Comment

dude, read what i posted

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39183

Its the main reason why we arent going to be active in FA.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuc View Post
        The Bucs are not doing anything and I'm a little torn about it. The fan in me wanted us to sign Peppers or Kampman to help out. Its hard to just sit and watch as other teams make big move after big move. But I also like the approach the Bucs are taking, Super Bowls are never won in March. Just go ask the Redskins. Building through the draft is the right way to go. The Giants won a Super Bowls that way. Yeah they had two big free agents signing that helped them win it, but most of the team was through the draft and look at them now. Going out and signing big name free agents the last two years that aren't worth the money there paying them.

I also like the fact that were not spending big money on this years crop of free agents. The pool was watered down by the uncapped year and there will be a new CBA within the next two years. If I had to bet, I think the Bucs are going to try to trade down once or twice and get a couple extra second round picks.

Here's the link to what our Gm said about not signing anyone http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=25496
        Some superbowls are won in March. Ask Drew Brees he was a FA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry's World View Post
          Some superbowls are won in March. Ask Drew Brees he was a FA.
          Drew Brees is a once-in-a-decade type FA acquisition, so you have no ground to stand on there.

Besides, the Saints drafted their WRs, Reggie Bush and pretty much their entire offensive and defensive lines, so building through the draft is still extremely important.

Free agency is best used to push a playoff team over the top to a Super Bowl championship. There's a reason why the teams that draft horribly and try to use free agency to fill all of their holes (Raiders and Redskins come to mind) fall flat on their faces year after year.

Besides, this year's free agency class is pathetic. It'll be much stronger next offseason, assuming there isn't a lockout.

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
            Drew Brees is a once-in-a-decade type FA acquisition, so you have no ground to stand on there.

Besides, the Saints drafted their WRs, Reggie Bush and pretty much their entire offensive and defensive lines, so building through the draft is still extremely important.

Free agency is best used to push a playoff team over the top to a Super Bowl championship. There's a reason why the teams that draft horribly and try to use free agency to fill all of their holes (Raiders and Redskins come to mind) fall flat on their faces year after year.

Besides, this year's free agency class is pathetic. It'll be much stronger next offseason, assuming there isn't a lockout.
            I was just trying to make a point, some FA make a difference.

My opinion, but I would like Jake Delhomme to back up Freeman.

Comment

I imagine we'll end up with a few cheapish signings in the coming weeks.

Comment

I wish we could of got Cramartie I think Rah would of brought out the beast in him

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
                Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfreak314 View Post
                  I wish we could of got Cramartie I think Rah would of brought out the beast in him
                  A cornerback who refuses to tackle in the Tampa 2? No, thanks.

I'm glad we stayed away from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                    A cornerback who refuses to tackle in the Tampa 2? No, thanks.

I'm glad we stayed away from him.
                    He's definitely not a fit as a Cover 2 type guy. You're right.

Comment

Light a fire under his ass. Tackling is a thing of passion, infused thru coaching and team drills. Cromartie ball skills are one of a kind, I think his poor tackling was maybe caused by the fact he no longer wants to play. Correction wanted to play in Diego. I could be wrong but hey that's what Eric Berry is for .

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
                      Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

Cromartie wasn't a good tackler at any point during his career in San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfreak314 View Post
                          Light a fire under his ass. Tackling is a thing of passion, infused thru coaching and team drills. Cromartie ball skills are one of a kind, I think his poor tackling was maybe caused by the fact he no longer wants to play. Correction wanted to play in Diego. I could be wrong but hey that's what Eric Berry is for .
                          So... If he "no longer wanted to play" for a team in the playoffs, what makes you think he'd give even a modicum of effort to a team that just went 3-13?

Comment

Anybody that values a CB over all others when discussing the Tampa-2 really doesn't understand what this defense is about.

Cro would have been an extremely poor fit in Tampa. Tampa-2 CBs: Tackle, have great ball skills, and anything else is a bonus.

The Tampa-2 thrives on pressure from the front 4.

Comment

And honestly, there weren't any free agents that could have helped a rebuilding team.

Drew Brees was a fantastic QB that was coming off an injury, the injury itself scared Miami off. As it turns out, Brees was fine, and the Saints got the deal of a lifetime. Do you see any Drew Brees type FAs out there? You don't because there aren't, build through the draft.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information