No announcement yet.

Why Drafting Gerald McCoy Would be a Mistake for the Bucs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, right, I don't know what I'm talking about... yet the Bucs run defense is still terrible. Most likely because Gerald McCoy has been a huge disappointment. If he had been any more invisible these past few games I would have sworn he'd have to be disguised as a blade of grass. He's been well below-average and needs to step it up... he's a Buc so I'm rooting for him... but he's been freaking invisible as has the rest of the DL for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by manilavanilla View Post
      original post:

"McCoy doesn't even have the work ethic. People point to Warren Sapp's 17 reps of 225 to say that McCOy's 21 aren't a big deal... but they're wrong. Poor weigh room numbers suggests bad work ethic and comparing McCoy to Sapp just proves my point. Sapp was known for having a poor work ethic and constantly came into seasons far too fat because of it. What got Sapp by was his outstanding athleticism (4.7 in the 40 type athleticism) which McCoy DOES NOT HAVE! He's a pretty good athlete, but he's no Warren Sapp and even if he did turn around his work ethic to match many of the other DTs in the draft, it still might not be enough to ever be a good DT. That's the thing about Suh, I'm not a Suh-lover, but at the very least you know this guy will work his tail off to be the best he can be."

last post:

"I think he'll be above-average at a 3-tech for us, he works hard and has enough quickness and strength to be much better than what we have."

does he have bad work ethic or is he a hard worker?
      Looks like to me he works hard on the field, is too much of a joker off of it. McCoy talks about wanting to be the best at his position... as a Buc fan I would settle with him being above-average.

Comment

Originally posted by brasho View Post
        Yeah, right, I don't know what I'm talking about... yet the Bucs run defense is still terrible. Most likely because Gerald McCoy has been a huge disappointment. If he had been any more invisible these past few games I would have sworn he'd have to be disguised as a blade of grass. He's been well below-average and needs to step it up... he's a Buc so I'm rooting for him... but he's been freaking invisible as has the rest of the DL for the most part.
        Listen, the fact that McCoy hasn't made the impact on the stat sheet doesn't mean his presence isn't felt on the field. He is commanding double teams on almost a consistant basis and the fact that Ruud isn't aggressive enough and his inability to make plays in the backfield, even with him commnading double teams is just inexcusable.

McCoy, through their first 4 games, has been wreaking havoc and providing constant pressure. He has played very well in the first 2 games against the run, but remember, our defense is meant for our front four to command blockers and the LB's shoot the open gaps, only the past 2 games our LB's haven't done a good job, and Ruud is just horrific.

McCoy is going to be a star in this league, simply for the fact as a rookie, is starting to command double teams, and in Carolina, was triple-teamed. He also swings the DE in our 3-4 alignment. Remember, Sapp struggled his first 2 years and didn't really break out until his 3rd year in the league. Look at Glenn Doresey in KC. His first 2 years weren't as productive, but this year, he is playing excellent,making plays and opening things up for others to make plays around him.

McCoy is only a rookie and DT's take a while to make an impact. Honestly, McCoy's presence has been felt and his going to be an elite DT in this league, but give him time before you say he's a bust. Yea, Suh is making his presence felt and is performing well, but he is a different DT and has better lineman around him (i know, it's Detroit, but it's true). Our Defensive Ends aren't even prodcuing in 1 on 1 match ups, except for Tim Crowder. You can't be productive at the DT spot when your DE's are absolutely horrendous.

Comment

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
          You can't be productive at the DT spot when your DE's are absolutely horrendous.
          Yes, you can.

Comment

He's been disruptive as **** the first 3 games, especially week 1. But was marginal at best vs Cincinatti. Mostly got pushed around, got a few pressures though.

That being said, 3/4 is not a bad ratio for a rook.

Comment

We're talking about a rookie DT who has played 4 games this year. If teams like the Vkings judged Kevin Williams on the rest of his career after 4 games, they would regret it. Same thing with Sapp, who took 3 YEARS to become the player he was.

McCoy is having his struggles, but he is also showing the reason why he was picked at #3 overall. He has already drawn respect of o-lines from day 1 being doubled and some times triple teams. It also doesn't help him that our DE's are back up material and can't win 1 on 1 match ups. DT's and DE take some time and yeah, some develop quicker than others, but others take a year or 2. Mario Williams, #1 pick in 2006, everyone booed the pick and had a 6.5 sack rookie year. How much would fans and the Texans regret if they judged him on 1 year? Look at him now.

Comment

Ignore the troll....McCoy looks great. I saw one play against Cincinnati where he slipped around the LG right at the snap with a nice quick step and arm maneuver. He didn't get the sack but he got a key pressure.

I'm very happy with his progress. We can revisit this subject in a year when McCoy has a full year of experience and hopefully a good edge rushing counterpart. He's gonna be a key fixture for this team for a long time.

He hasn't been dominant in run defense but he hasn't been a problem either. Run defense is a team effort and we need better fills from our LBs and safeties.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
                  We're talking about a rookie DT who has played 4 games this year. If teams like the Vkings judged Kevin Williams on the rest of his career after 4 games, they would regret it. Same thing with Sapp, who took 3 YEARS to become the player he was.

McCoy is having his struggles, but he is also showing the reason why he was picked at #3 overall. He has already drawn respect of o-lines from day 1 being doubled and some times triple teams. It also doesn't help him that our DE's are back up material and can't win 1 on 1 match ups. DT's and DE take some time and yeah, some develop quicker than others, but others take a year or 2. Mario Williams, #1 pick in 2006, everyone booed the pick and had a 6.5 sack rookie year. How much would fans and the Texans regret if they judged him on 1 year? Look at him now.

Sapp had 3 sacks and one interception return for a TD at the same stage of his rookie year where McCoy has had ZERO sacks and few tackles for loss. McCoy was not a late 1st rounder, he was the #3 overall pick... and that is a place a player is drafted where players are expected to contribute and produce immediately. Tyson Alualu has had far better production than McCoy and I viewed him as more of a late 1st rounder.

On top of that, as many double teams as McCoy has supposedly received, the defense is significantly worse at this point than it was during the last 6 games of last season when we had Ryan Sims and Chriv Hovan starting for us. We also had far better pressure (with the same DE's-White, Moore, and Crowder on the field) but with the main difference being McCoy.

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                    Ignore the troll....McCoy looks great. I saw one play against Cincinnati where he slipped around the LG right at the snap with a nice quick step and arm maneuver. He didn't get the sack but he got a key pressure.

I'm very happy with his progress. We can revisit this subject in a year when McCoy has a full year of experience and hopefully a good edge rushing counterpart. He's gonna be a key fixture for this team for a long time.

He hasn't been dominant in run defense but he hasn't been a problem either. Run defense is a team effort and we need better fills from our LBs and safeties.
                    Wow, you recall a play where he got a pressure! A freaking pressure? And I'm a troll... yet I've yet to be proven wrong here, but you resort to namecalling because I rehash the facts that I presented long ago that are unfortunately coming into fruition.

I recall a couple plays against Arizona where McCoy was not double teamed and got ragdolled by the OG on several occasions. The guy has a decent first step, but rarely any countermoves once his first attempt is foiled.

Granted, I feel he played his best game last weekend against Atlanta, particularly against the run and I have hope that McCoy will someday make me eat my words so I can happily come back on here and state that I was wrong about him all along... that day still seems far away.

Comment

Originally posted by brasho View Post
                      Wow, you recall a play where he got a pressure! A freaking pressure? And I'm a troll... yet I've yet to be proven wrong here, but you resort to namecalling because I rehash the facts that I presented long ago that are unfortunately coming into fruition.

I recall a couple plays against Arizona where McCoy was not double teamed and got ragdolled by the OG on several occasions. The guy has a decent first step, but rarely any countermoves once his first attempt is foiled.

Granted, I feel he played his best game last weekend against Atlanta, particularly against the run and I have hope that McCoy will someday make me eat my words so I can happily come back on here and state that I was wrong about him all along... that day still seems far away.
                      Dude are you serious? McCoy hasn't even played a full season yet. And If I remember correctly, our pass defense was terrible last year too. White, once named the starter, really didn't do much. He is a situational pass rusher that comes off the bench.

McCoy is aggressive and has a motor and I will admit, needs to get a bit stronger to handle the CONSISTENT double teams he faces. But, for being the only true threat on that D-line, he receives constant attention by o-lines.

And seriously dude, your comparing last year to this year? I've watched game tapes this year and I'll tell you this, our DE's are flat out terrible. White and Moore get OWNED 99% of the time in one on one match ups against Tackles. Usually when a DT draws a double team, they should be able to beat the tackles 1 on 1. That is how you know that Moore and White are back up material.

Comment

This past week's game was a nice start to hopefully proving me wrong. I would much rather be wrong (for a change) in evaluating a player I thought would bust than have our defense continue to be terrible. Go Bucs, go McCoy! He played ok two weeks ago and played very well last week. This week against the Ravens will be a good test to see if our young D is really coming around.

Comment

He's been playing very well all season. A lack of sacks wasn't a fair representation of the effect he has been having on the defense.

Comment

I love how you pretend like you hope you're wrong about McCoy yet you don't even give him credit for how he's played this year. He's been at least "OK" for the whole year and he's been playing well for at least the past 3 weeks.

He's been getting constant penetration and has been our most consistent run defender in terms of anchoring and standing up the C/G. We haven't had a DT even close to his caliber and athleticism since Sapp.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                              I love how you pretend like you hope you're wrong about McCoy yet you don't even give him credit for how he's played this year. He's been at least "OK" for the whole year and he's been playing well for at least the past 3 weeks.

He's been getting constant penetration and has been our most consistent run defender in terms of anchoring and standing up the C/G. We haven't had a DT even close to his caliber and athleticism since Sapp.
                              Pretend? I'm sure I've stated numerous times that I hoped I was wrong about McCoy... as for him being "constantly in the backfield"... he played like crap against Arizona, getting rag-dolled numerous times, and other times he was invisible. Sure, he made occasional penetration at other times this season, but it wasn't until the last Carolina game that he would start to consistently flash and not until this past week that he actually looked like a possible good player... now he has to keep it up... even Hovan and Sims have had good games for the Bucs. Hopefully he can and the Bucs can keep winning.

Do you really think I would hope for no success for my team? I am the one that predicted the Bucs would win 9-10 games before the season started, you can't win games when the team completely sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information