2011 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DJC with the great scoop. Thanks, bruh.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

I was too lazy to read DJC's posts right now (tl;dr) but I will eventually. I'm sure he said a lot of the same things I'm about to say but w/e.

Originally posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
      I saw some early lists for next year and see them mentioning some Iowa DE, Adrian Clayborn as a top 10 talent. Any scoop or opinions on him?

UNC's Robert Quinn?
      Adrian Clayborn: One of the top prospects period for next year. Possibly the #1 Senior prospect. He has great size and strength and he's very athletic for his size. He sheds blocks extremely well and pursues with quickness and motor. His tackling is subpar but he just needs to break down instead of lunging. With that being said, Clayborn is a LDE or 5-tech (think Tyson Jackson but better). We need a RDE that can be a dynamic pass rusher off the edge.

Robert Quinn: This is our guy. He has RIDICULOUSLY long arms, he's pretty explosive and can run the arc. He's decent at anchoring to stop the run even though he's fairly lanky. He's basically a Gaines Adams (RIP) clone which means that he fits our defense perfectly, but that also means that he's not a sure thing. Adams was always a freak athlete but never develop any pass rushing skill. Quinn doesn't show that skill right now either but athletes like him are rare and you have to coach them up.

DaQuan Bowers is an interesting guy. He hasn't proven much yet and he also is built more like a LDE but he's lean enough and quick enough to be our replacement for White. Bowers has Mario Williams/Julius Peppers potential.

I'm gonna evaluate the other guys later. I've seen Romeus before and wasn't overly impressed, but I'm gonna need to look further.

OL are easier to evaluate at the Senior Bowl/combine because they're more exposed. Film doesn't show much other than athletic ability.

Originally posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
      RB crop next year?

Ingram (I like his production, but think he is overrated and a bit slow)

Ryan Williams

Evan Royster (love this kid, but also think he may be slow)

DeMarco Murray (I think he is more of a homerun hitter than the previous 3)

Branden Saine (Like this kid, too.)

Middle round backs

C.J. Gable

Mike Ford

Kendall Hunter

Armando Allen

Thoughts?
      Ryan Williams is my top back. He's a DeAngelo Williams clone. He's very stocky and powerful but he's also explosive and quick. He hits the hole hard, he can shake defenders and he can run through arm tackles and gain extra yards after contact. He's proven he can carry the load as well.

I like Ingram a lot too. He has a low center of gravity, great vision and he's very shifty and quick. Ingram isn't as powerful as Williams but he's proven he can run through arm tackles and he's more quick-twitch than Williams. He has more than enough speed to be an NFL back.

Royster is nothing special. He's not overly big, fast, powerful, explosive, quick. He's just an average college back.

Murray is the shiftiest back in the draftest. He runs a bit tall but he's a good receiver and evades a lot of tackles. Reggie Bush clone.

Brandon Saine hasn't proven much yet. He's really fast and a good receiver, but I'd like to see him produce.

CJ Gable is solid all-around. He's kinda small but he's got + quickness, speed, agility, etc. He might be a better pro than college player once he leaves USC and their crowded backfield.

Noel Devine is legit. He's got great balance, power, agility, quickness and explosion. He fits somewhere between Darren Sproles and Barry Sanders imo.

Daniel Thomas is also legit. He doesn't look that big on film, but apparently he's 6'2 230. He has VERY impressive speed and acceleration for a guy his size. He's not a lumbering runner at all, he explodes through the hole, shows the ability to cut on a dime and finishes his runs well. He could be another Steven Jackson or Fred Taylor.

I like Allen a lot as a potential steal. He's small and compact, very quick, gets upfield when he runs inside and is a good receiver out of the backfield.

John Clay is a load. He reminds me of Jerome Bettis is his early days. If you let him hit the hole with a full head of steam, he'll be hard to bring down.

I wouldn't want Graig Cooper on our team. He's a decent athlete but who knows what he'll be like after the knee injury. Besides that, he doesn't run hard enough and has poor vision. His best attributes are his quickness and agility but he never seems to find daylight and isn't a natural runner in the open field. He runs too high when he gets an inside run and doesn't get extra yards after contact.

Damien Berry is really underrated though. He's basically a lesser version of Ryan Williams. He's very stocky and powerful. He has some shake to him and decent speed, but he's at his best when he powers through tackles and bounces off others. He's also a great special teamer. I'd take him as a replacement for Graham because he's lighter and has more wiggle, therefore he can break more long runs and do a better job on off tackles and sweeps.
      Last edited by etk; 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

etk, we would probably need to be picking top 5 to get Quinn. With an easy schedule, Raheem calling the D, and Freeman developing, I hope we pick from 10-20. I'll be studying Greg Romeus heavily this summer and fall.
        save Freeman

Comment

I think we'll be picking 8-14 so hopefully we will still be able to pick up a top flight player.

Comment

Id like Robert Quinn who reminds me a lot of Demarcus Ware. If we pick in the top five.
            Now if do good this year because we finished last and last place teams do good the following year in the NFC South. Id like any DE, RB (Mark Ingram) , and maybe OT if Donald Penn leaves. Those will be our top three needs next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
              etk, we would probably need to be picking top 5 to get Quinn. With an easy schedule, Raheem calling the D, and Freeman developing, I hope we pick from 10-20. I'll be studying Greg Romeus heavily this summer and fall.
              I'm not so sure that Quinn will be a top 5-8 pick. He's a great athlete, sure, but he's not very bulky and isn't a great fit for most teams. He fits the Tampa 2 perfectly so his value is a lot higher for us than for other squads. We'll see....I guess it depends on how 3-4 teams view him.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Just wanted to say how great this board is and how great the info you guys bring to the table.

Been a boring couple of months and I still feel that DE should be our first pick.

Quinn is my top guy.

I am feeling like RB or Safety should be next priority, depending on how Caddy and who ever starts opposite T-Jack do this year.

Are you guys hearing anthing in regards to Sean Jones and if he might start ahead of Sabby?

At RB, I'm not sure who I like more.

At Safety, who do you guys like out of :

Mark Barron, Alabama
                Rahim Moore, UCLA
                DeAndre McDaniel, Clemsom
                Deunta Williams, UNC
                Blake Gideon, Texas
                Will Hill, Florida

I'm sure you guys have more prospects on your lists, I just saw these names more often. (Will Hill was added because I couldn't help putting a Gator up there. Forgive my homerism. lol)

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

I was 95% sure we would go LT in the 1st but then we signed Penn longterm.

I think the pick has to be RB or DE... (with MLB or WR being a slight possibility if one of the rookies disappoints and we have a shot at one of the elite 4)

My pick is for a RB.. Ingram or Williams

We are too young on the DL to take another DE. We need at least one vet starting.
                  save Freeman

Comment

I was 95% sure we would go LT in the 1st but then we signed Penn longterm.

I think the pick has to be RB or DE... (with MLB or WR being a slight possibility if one of the rookies disappoints and we have a shot at one of the elite 4)

My pick is for a RB.. Ingram or Williams

We are too young on the DL to take another DE. We need at least one vet starting.
                    RB doesn't really make sense right now. Cadillac looks good and he's still relatively young. Derrick Ward is only in his 2nd year of a pretty hefty 5 year deal IIRC. Graham is a good versatile backup and special teamer. Clifton Smith is a good returner.

Where's the room for a back? Ingram and Williams are great talents but we'd have to unload Williams or Ward first. I don't see it happening right now.

DE is by far our biggest need. Stylez White is aging and never really was a great pass rusher. We still need a 10+ sacks-a-year edge rusher. We would've drafted one this year but Price/McCoy were better value.

I don't think we need a 1st round WR anymore. We have enough weapons on offense and Freeman is developing into a QB that can make the right reads and spread the ball around. Winslow is our top target right now, but Williams is a down the field playmaker, Benn is an across the middle target and Stroughter is a reliable slot. Anything else is gravy past that (Stovall/Clayton).

We should have a good shot at Robert Quinn, but a lot depends on how the 3-4 teams view him. The greater his versatility, the greater his value and the more likely he goes top 5 (doubt we pick there).

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Caddy has two busted knees and is not a dynamic back even if healthy.

Ward is the biggest POS on the team. Did you watch the Miami game? Fat with no burst!

Huggins should be the #2 RB, he looked great.

Ingram in the 1st and a huge mauling OG in the 2nd would be soooo nice.
                      save Freeman

Comment

Caddy has two busted knees and is not a dynamic back even if healthy.

Ward is the biggest POS on the team. Did you watch the Miami game? Fat with no burst!

Huggins should be the #2 RB, he looked great.

Ingram in the 1st and a huge mauling OG in the 2nd would be soooo nice.
                        I prefer Ryan Williams to Ingram. He would be a huge upgrade to our offense but something's gotta give for that to happen. Either Cadillac gets injured or Ward finally gets the boot. Who knows? You just can't invest that much money in one position and carry 4 backs.

Caddy is a decent starting back in this league. He does what we ask of him which is to pound the ball and set up the pass. We're building this offense around Freeman. Ward looks terrible but I wouldn't call him fat. He looks really indecisive as a runner but the blocking wasn't there either. I didn't see Huggins because my friends came over and distracted me but I know he's been putting in work in camp.

I forgot about the need for a G...I definitely agree there. Orlando Franklin might be a good option in the 3rd round. He's pretty much the opposite of Zuttah.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

From what I have read Quinn is the cream of the crop @ DE. I can't remember his name but theres a DE from Clemson that is suppose to be pretty good.
                          No one has mentioned RB Noel Devine. He's not a everydown back but I would love to see this guy as a Buc. If Huggins works out then nevermind, but we need a homerun threat, probably a 2nd rounder but who knows, really early.

Josh Freeman by Kenbo Slice

Comment

If we are picking outside of the top 15, with the Ruud situation still ongoing maybe a ILB in the 1st round... I know they are high on Heyward also, but I wouldn't be suprised if we go ILB if we let Ruud walk...

Josh Freeman by Kenbo Slice

Comment

Originally posted by KennyG View Post
                              From what I have read Quinn is the cream of the crop @ DE. I can't remember his name but theres a DE from Clemson that is suppose to be pretty good.
                              No one has mentioned RB Noel Devine. He's not a everydown back but I would love to see this guy as a Buc. If Huggins works out then nevermind, but we need a homerun threat, probably a 2nd rounder but who knows, really early.
                              DaQuan Bowers is the DE from Clemson, and he is mainly just living off the hype when he came out of highschool as a the #1 recruit in the nation.

Robert Quinn is vastly overrated, and I believe you'll see that in this upcoming year.

Comment

Bowers isn't just a hyped up former #1 recruit (Marvin Austin). He legitimately has the athleticism to back it up now he just needs to prove it on the field.

Disagree about Quinn....what do you expect us to see? He's fast off the edge and disruptive with his long frame and arms.

Do you expect everyone to put up 20 sacks every year of their college career? A lot of former 1st round picks at DE didn't really dominate until their last year.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information