2011 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 NFL Draft Thread

By the looks of things we will be in the market for a DE or two, a safety, and a RB as top priorities, IMO.

Who is on the top of your lists for next year....if you have thought that far ahead.

Reason I ask is, because, I assume that most of you guys here are huge draftniks and what better place to ask this. lol

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

My early favorites are Mark Ingram (RB, Alabama) and AJ Green (WR, Georgia).

Comment

Patrick Peterson is the best prospect in the draft. Julio Jones is my #1 WR, but hopefully that won't be a need.

Greg Romeus and Richard Quinn will be popular names among Bucs fans looking at the DE position. Adewale Ojomo could prove himself to be worthy of consideration now that his jaw is fine.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I see DE, S, RB and WR as being the biggest needs.

Hopefully we solved the receiver problem with Benn and Williams and maybe safety becomes a non-issue if Sabby/Jones actually do something on the field. The other two will need to be addressed though.

Comment

One thing I gotta say about this year's draft is, if I hadn't stumbled upon this board I would have had no clue about Brian Price. You guys definitely know your stuff.

I knew of Benn but didn't really know about Mike Williams either. I put a lot of trust in you guys now.

I saw some early lists for next year and see them mentioning some Iowa DE, Adrian Clayborn as a top 10 talent. Any scoop or opinions on him?

UNC's Robert Quinn?

Ohio State's Cameron Heyward? (Actually have followed him since his recruitment)

Texas' Sam Acho?

Interested in also knowing more about Pitt's Greg Romeus.

Does that pretty much make up the top DE prospects right now?

Next question is about OL prospects. Do you agree that we should try to get one early next year? I think that once our OL is set then we can go ahead and draft a stud RB, giving the kid every chance to succeed. Thoughts?

Who are next year's top OL?

Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi?

LSU's Joseph Barksdale?

Florida's Mike Pouncey?

BC's Anthony Castanzo?

USC's Kristopher O'Dowd?

Pitt's Jason Pinkston?
          Last edited by bullg8rdaddy; 05-08-2010, 12:23 PM.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

Getting a pass rusher at defensive end should be our top priority going into the next offseason. My top target for us if we are picking in the top 10 again is Robert Quinn. From what I've seen he's got all the signs of being an elite prospect; the size/speed, great production, first step, motor, etc. Putting him on a line with McCoy and Price would be scary.

Greg Romeus is a option too but I don't think in the top 10. He doesn't have quite the potential that Quinn has. I see him as more of a Derrick Morgan esque prospect, and I think he'll go in the 15-25 range.

Da'Quan Bowers is another option if he can put it all together, but as of now the production is not there to match his physical abilities. Only produced 3 sacks and 7 pressures all season, in comparison Quinn had pretty much that in one game vs Duke last year. He can either be the next Carlos Dunlap or the next Mario Williams depending on what he does this season.

Some sleepers at DE are Sam Acho, Jack Crawford, Jeremy Beal, and Cliff Matthews. Theses guys aren't really top 20 talents right now so they're not really guys we'd look at in the 1st, but they'd be good pass rushing options in the 2nd.

I'll share my thoughts later on our other top positions of need (SS, RB, OT) that we could spend an early round pick on next year.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I'm in agreement with DJC on getting a big time pass rushing threat next year. Assuming we keep hold of Penn for 2011, DE is easily going to be our biggest position of need (assuming no player breaks out which I highly doubt).

At the moment Quinn, Clayborn and Romeus all look like good bets to be first round prospects, but a lot can happen over the next year.

Ideally I'd like us to go DE in round 1 and RB in round 2.

Comment

A lot can happen. Last year Snead was talked about as a first round player.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
                  A lot can happen. Last year Snead was talked about as a first round player.
                  Haha we got a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

RB crop next year?

Ingram (I like his production, but think he is overrated and a bit slow)

Ryan Williams

Evan Royster (love this kid, but also think he may be slow)

DeMarco Murray (I think he is more of a homerun hitter than the previous 3)

Branden Saine (Like this kid, too.)

Middle round backs

C.J. Gable

Mike Ford

Kendall Hunter

Armando Allen

Thoughts?

Comment

I'm a fan of the RB crop next year. There is no "CJ Spiller" playmaking prospect that I think could go top 10, but there is plenty of depth to the class.

Right now, at the top of the board are the first two guys you mentioned. Mark Ingram and Ryan Williams will likely be battling for the top spot in this class.

Royster and Murray are the top 2 senior backs in this class at this point according to most but I think that'll change. I'm honestly not that high on either of them. I don't see anything too special in Royster that'll make him a great RB at the next level. I like Murray a little more because of his speed, but he has had some injury concerns and I'd like to see how he comes out this year to really gauge him.

Two 'sleepers' people are talking about from the senior crop are Daniel Thomas from Kansas State and Anthony Allen from Georgia Tech. Both are bigger guys (225lbs+) but have good enough speed. Allen is hard to project coming out of that offense and seeing the drop of Dwyer this year. Thomas has only had one year at DI though so this will be a big year for him. One thing I don't like about Thomas is his age, he'll be 24 years old when he suits up for the first time in an NFL game.

Total opposite of those two guys from the senior class is Noel Devine. He's going to be the fastest RB this year but guys his size just scare me at the next level. I like him as a player but I don't think he'll really fit in here.

There's about 10 more guys I want to bring up but I don't have time right now. Everyone else keep sharing their insight, I love hearing what you guys are thinking for next year.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

How about Jaquiz Rodgers? Dude would be a great addition in round 2 to our team.

I think we have to monitor the situation slowly. OT, DE, LB and RB can all be huge needs next season. We arent going to be able to retain both Trueblood and Penn, or both. I think Penn, pending on how well he proves himself, we get a long term deal. SO, i think Trueblood might be gone, so OT may be a priority in Round 2.

RB is def. going to be a need. I like Huggins as a possible contributor, but i cant see Ward and Caddy, in our backfield after this season. Caddy might take a hometown discount, but Ward most def. would be gone. RB could be a pick up in round 3.

I think DE would be a priority in the RD 1, but I still would wait and see on if the Bucs make a move at that position this summer. Keep an eye on Mathies Kiwanuka. He is going to be a free agent this year and the giants have a ton of depth and he might be expendable. It looks like we will most likely get a 3rd rd comp. pick for losing A Bryant, so a 3rd round pick could be a good trade for him.

MLB might be another positon, as Barrett Ruud may be out due to the fact we have to lock up Davin Joeseph, Geno Hayes, Tanard Jackson, and Donald Penn. Donta Hightower would be an amazing fit here.

Comment

What about John Clay RB from Wisconsin? Kid is a BEAST!

Comment

I would crap my pants in Joy if TB drafted either AJ Green or Robert Quinn, two beasts at their respective positions with high ceilings.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
                            Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

I really like Mark Ingram. I'd take him with our 1st if we have a good season and were in the 15-20 range. I want to see another season of Ryan Williams before I make up my mind up on him, but it's hard to ignore what he did last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of these guys as our 1st next year if there's no DE's sitting there.

Jacquizz Rodgers is an interesting prospect. He will have a lot of carries under his belt by the time he reaches the NFL though. He's a great receiver for a back so that's a plus.

Jamie Harper is a guy to keep an eye on as a possible 2nd rounder next year for us. He's a big play threat with all the size (5'11 225) and speed (4.5) to be a feature back. With Spiller gone he'll see his carries go up by 4x. We'll see what he can do with it.

The combine is going to be huge for John Clay. How many 240lb+ backs do we see successful in the NFL? We'll see how his speed translates to the next level.

Two potential surprise underclassman to watch out for - Jermaine Thomas of FSU and Marc Tyler of USC. Both could vault their way up into 2nd/3rd round talk and declare early.

Now back to the seniors to wrap it up. Kendall Hunter had a very impressive sophmore year before having an injury shortened junior season. He's a smaller guy at 5'8 with good speed, and it'll be big for him to show that he can bounce back this season.

There's a couple guys who can rise that have had very limited tread on their tires, but then again with that they have not had as many opportunities to prove themselves yet. Allen Bradford of USC and Brandon Saine of OSU both say the most action of their careers last season but neither even saw over 150 carries. Bradford is bigger but has questionable speed. Saine has more potential and could really break out this year.

As a Canes fan I wouldn't mind us bringing in Graig Cooper in the mid rounds, but I'm not sure if he's going to be the same after that injury. Damien Berry is a good sleeper from the Canes. He might not get that many carries because of our loaded backfield, but I like what I saw from him last year.

A couple other mid-late round sleepers I like myself to keep an eye on, Roy Helu Jr of Nebraska, Da'Rel Scott of Maryland.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information