Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who might be in, out for Tampa Bay Buccaneers

What next for Bucs?

The impending labor unrest isn't the only reason the Bucs are beginning an uncertain offseason. Between the club's many free agents and players rehabbing injuries, there are plenty of guys to keep an eye on.

Name Status Possible outcome

CB Ronde Barber
    His contract is about to expire, and he's 35. Given the physical toll, chances of return are 50-50.

WR Arrelious Benn
    He tore knee ligaments in home finale. Faces a long rehab and hopes to return for training camp.

DE Tim Crowder Ended season as starting LDE; contract expiring. Could end up elsewhere if Bucs add DE help.

TE John Gilmore No. 2 tight end's contract expiring. At 31, could be replaced with younger option.

S Cody Grimm Starting safety ended season on IR. Broken leg should heal in time for offseason work.

LB Adam Hayward
    Backup and ace on special teams will be free agent. Hayward could return in similar role.

S Tanard Jackson On yearlong suspension for drug use. If reinstated, will have to earn a spot.

RG Davin Joseph Ended season on IR; contract expiring. Not a sure bet to return.

DT Gerald McCoy
    Suffered season-ending biceps tear. Weight-room work will be affected for months.

DT Brian Price
    Rookie year done in by serious pelvic fracture. A lot of ground to make up in offseason.

LB Barrett Ruud
    Becomes free agent; looking for big payday. Value will be determined by market.

WR Maurice Stovall Just seven receptions in 12 games. Will likely be pushed out of ever-improving unit.

CB Aqib Talib Coming off serious hip injury. Long rehab could affect offseason work.

OT Jeremy Trueblood Lost starting job to James Lee. Seems unlikely to return.

DE Stylez White Contract expiring; career-low 41/2 sacks. Bucs will look to draft to replace him.

RB Cadillac Williams Backup's contract expiring. Will test market but could return.
    LINK

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

I'll address them individually!

Ronde - I'd be devastated if he retired, but Ronde has earnt retirement so he can do whatever he wants. Hopefully he comes back. His game is predicated on anticipation, not speed, so I think he could play another season.

Rejus - Players routinely do their knees so I'd expect Benn to be back healthy for next season. Hopefully around OTA's.

Tim Crowder - Has been solid and I'd welcome him back for the right price.

John Gilmore - Had a nice season and for the vet minimum could definitely make the team again. Purvis could take his position.

Cody Grimm - His ankle should be ready to go for next season. Expect him to battle for either FS or SS depending on how we draft/Tanard.

Adam Hayward - Special teamer. Vet minimum or nothing.

Tanard Jackson - I have no idea what will happen with this guy.

Davin Joseph - I'd love to have him back but will his price tag be too high. If a new labor agreement is reached we'll be well under the salary cap floor and might have to pay a few players big money. Why not make one of them Joseph.

McCoy and Price - These guys need to work really hard to recover from their injuries. McCoy especially. They can be great together.

Barrett Ruud - Everyone hates him except me. I want him back.

Maurice Stovall - Get his useless ass out of here. Briscoe, Benn, Williams, Parker, Stroughter, Parker make him expendable.

Aqib - Will be back at a pro bowl level next season.

Trueblood - He is as good as gone. Lost his job to James Lee and won't be resigned.

Stylez - Lost his starting job to Michael Bennett and has lost his spot on this team.

Caddy - Wants to test the market but who is going to pay him when he has no knees? Hope he comes back.

Comment

Here are my thoughts on some of those players.

Name Status Possible outcome

CB Ronde Barber
      : In. His brother advised him to play one more year, because he doesn't want Ronde to make them same mistake he did in retiring the year before his team makes a Super Bowl run.

DE Tim Crowder: In. He's a decent LE. I'd keep him for depth, even if we end up bringing in some new guys.

TE John Gilmore: In. He remains the best blocking TE on the roster and has greatly improved as a pass catcher this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Purvis beats him out of a roster spot, but we kept three TEs at the start of the 2010 season, so I don't see why we couldn't keep Winslow, Gilmore and Purvis at the start of next season.

S Cody Grimm: In. He's one of our starting safeties. Moving him to SS is our best bet in the long run, though.

LB Adam Hayward: Out. I think we draft another OLB, which makes Hayward the odd man out.

S Tanard Jackson : Out. Trade his ass. I really don't care what we get for him.

RG Davin Joseph: Out. I think he's going to want a big contract and, if we're going to offer a large contract to a guard, Logan Mankins is the better choice.

LB Barrett Ruud: In. He's obviously a weak link on defense, but I've made it known how I feel about our MLB situation: In short, we can't draft a guy and expect him to come in an start at the position. Ruud will start until a draftee beats him out of the job in a year or two.

WR Maurice Stovall : In. Depth. He's a good special teamer, as well.

OT Jeremy Trueblood: Out. Hallelujah!

DE Stylez White: Out. If he takes a pay cut, I could see him coming back simply because he's the most experienced DE on the roster.

RB Cadillac Williams: In. Re-signing Caddy should be a priority. He's a huge part of why Freeman has been successful. His ability to pass block and catch passes out of the backfield would be sorely missed if he goes to another team.

Comment

Poll: Who do you most want back?

LINK

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

Here's my take on our Free Agents (Bolded one's stay):

D. Joseph
          B. Ruud
          M. Stovall
          Q. Black
          T. Jackson
          J. Trueblood
          C. Williams
          S. White
          J. Gilmore
          A. Hayward
          R. Barber

Ruud is kind of overrated and isn't as good as we once thought. He'll be looking to make the bank with another team most likely. He doesn't really fit Morris' D well and is pretty soft. Way too many missed tackles for him and when he does get them, he usually gets dragged back a few yards. We definately could use a better MLB.

Stovall really has no place on the team and never really played as well as some of us would have liked to seen him play. We have pretty good depth at wide out especially if Briscoe can pan out. Williams, Benn, Stroughter, Briscoe and Spurlock should be our 5.

Trueblood sucks and we don't need him. James Lee got the starting job over him and has looked much better. We can find some better depth through the draft or free agency IMO.

I'd like to keep Caddy, but he said he wants to test the market. If he wants to stay in Tampa, then I say we definately re-sign him. He is a great compliment back to Blount and brings a good veteran presence to a young offense. He is good for running after Blount bruises up the D, has really improved his receiving game, and is a good pass blocker which are things Blount needs work on.

Comment

You heard it here first, if Jim Harbaugh jumps to the NFL, he will want a QB that he is familiar with and trusts... and there is no QB out there, including Andrew Luck, that has been around Harbaugh as much as the Bucs' Josh Johnson.

I think he'll try to pull a trade for Johnson if he gets a HC gig... we should be able to recoup a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Comment

I was thinking about that, too, Brasho. Good call. I think it may happen.

I also think IF he leaves Stanford, he'll be headed to San Fran.

Comment

I don't think I would trade Josh Johnson. He reminds me a lot of Charlie Batch: A solid backup who probably won't develop into a starter, but is capable enough to step up when needed and do just enough to not lose the game for your team.

Plus, Johnson has been worked into the offense even as a backup, which makes him a more valuable asset to the team. If, God forbid, Freeman gets hurt, Rudy Carpenter would be the starting QB in the event Johnson is traded.

If Harbaugh lands in San Francisco, I'd expect him to draft a QB.

Comment

I wouldn't trade him unless a great offer came in.

Comment

I think he might wait till next year to try and land Luck (probably have to trade up to do so, but who knows how Harbaugh'll do in 2011)

I think this year Harbaugh tries to see if he can fix Alex Smith. Kid is only 26.

Comment

Let's just hope he does a Pete Carroll and throws a high draft pick for a QB who has barely played and NFL snap. We could always find a solid veteran in free agency.

Comment

After giving it some thought, if they really want Johnson, I'd swap first rounders with them in return. It'd never happen, but it would essentially ensure we'd get one of the top DE prospect in the draft.

Comment

From PewterReport: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
                            From PewterReport: LINK
                            I hate that site, but that's a pretty good list if you ignore that they advocate dumping both of the MLBs we currently have on the roster.

Comment

lol

10char

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information