Supplemental Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplemental Draft

With Oliver and maybe Gaither entering, any chance we go for either of them? We could use both, really. (Position-wise, I don't know how they fit our schemes.)

bonekrusher on the sig magic
    <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
    <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

I would love to get Jared Gaither, he is an absolute best, would probably be willing to give up a third for him, definatly a fourth

Comment

I think Gaither has all the physical ability at 6'9 and 350lbs, but he's still raw IMO, I wouldn't have a problem with the Bucs using next years 3rd on him, (if he stays in school he could move into the 1st with a solid season) he could come in and learn, and be ready to compete next year, hopefully coached up with an understanding of the task ahead.

How does the supplemental draft work, I'm not sure of the in's and out's?
      Last edited by Merlin; 05-20-2007, 02:18 AM.

Comment

I usually would avoid taking players in the supplemental draft as they usually have some form of character flaws such as Ahmad Brooks.

I would certainly look in to Jared Gaither as his potential would make him easily worth a 3rd rounder. He would have the opportunity to sit behind Petitgout/Davis for a season or so with the hopes of becoming a dominant tackle in the future.

I would probably avoid Oliver for several reason. He has some slight character concerns where he is rumoured to be doing poorly in school and he is not an ideal fit for our defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post

How does the supplemental draft work, I'm not sure of the in's and out's?
          In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft.

This little excerpt is from wikipedia and does a pretty decent job explaining the supplemental draft. A lot of the time the players that enter have character concerns which is why it is rare for players to be drafted in it.

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
            In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft.

This little excerpt is from wikipedia and does a pretty decent job explaining the supplemental draft. A lot of the time the players that enter have character concerns which is why it is rare for players to be drafted in it.
            Cheers, reading this it sounds like we're in with a shout for either player, should we want too.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
              Cheers, reading this it sounds like we're in with a shout for either player, should we want too.
              If either were to declare for it then we would definitely be in with a shot to nab them. I guess we will see if either become eligible in the coming weeks.

Comment

Jared Gaither would be the pick, if he were to come out. Gaither is a monster, he is a gruden type guy mean steak nasty attitude. Have him start his 3rd year when Luke contract is up. I hope he comes out if not than certainly Oliver from Gerogia.

Comment

Gaither is not going to come out, and Oliver is not needed or wanted.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Kelly- On his way out
                    Barber- 32?33?
                    Buchannan
                    Cox is he really a #2 corner?
                    Zematiatis question mark there
                    Davis another question mark
                    Oliver is a 1st round talent, we should take him

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh View Post
                      Kelly- On his way out
                      Barber- 32?33?
                      Buchannan
                      Cox is he really a #2 corner?
                      Zematiatis question mark there
                      Davis another question mark
                      Oliver is a 1st round talent, we should take him
                      First of all Oliver is more of a man corner rather than zone. Our coaches may not feel that he fits the system well so it's unlikely that we use a pick on him if it costs us in '08. My second point was already mentioned in your quoted post. We have 6 CBs on the roster already with rookies like Hamilton also competing for a spot. Why would we add another one if it costs a draft pick, doesn't fit and forces us to cut a player that would otherwise be a contributor. Kelly and Barber are starters, Buchanon is an interesting nickelback, Cox is a returner and veteran special teamer, Zemaitis is developing and Davis has a chance at the roster. I see no reason to replace any of those guys at the current moment, especially when there are other considerations like the cost and risk. Have our coaches done a thorough background check and studying/scouting job on a guy that didn't declare for the draft originally? Probably not. Would we feel comfortable drafting a guy we don't know much about? No. We're in the middle of assembling our roster as camps go on, why would we interrupt all of that for a troubled corner that doesn't fit? You think the irritable Chucky himself wants to go through all of that? Unlikely.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I agree with etk on the whole Oliver thing. To say we need a CB is not that much of a stretch, but what Oliver brings to the table is unsuited to the Zone style defense we play.

I also don't think Gaither will declare. In all honesty, the kid would be a moron if he entered the supplemental draft instead of the regular draft. With his measurables and potential and another years experience under his belt, he could easily be a first rounder netting him a far larger pay check than a supplemental pick would get.

In saying that, I would take Oliver with a Day 2 pick purely based on value and I would take Gaither with a 3rd, no questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                          I agree with etk on the whole Oliver thing. To say we need a CB is not that much of a stretch, but what Oliver brings to the table is unsuited to the Zone style defense we play.

I also don't think Gaither will declare. In all honesty, the kid would be a moron if he entered the supplemental draft instead of the regular draft. With his measurables and potential and another years experience under his belt, he could easily be a first rounder netting him a far larger pay check than a supplemental pick would get.

In saying that, I would take Oliver with a Day 2 pick purely based on value and I would take Gaither with a 3rd, no questions asked.
                          Eh I don't like the idea of bringing in a rookie this late in camp, especially not when there's as much competition at CB as we have. I can see us taking an OT but Gaither won't declare. Can anyone explain why he's rumoured to do so?

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                            Eh I don't like the idea of bringing in a rookie this late in camp, especially not when there's as much competition at CB as we have. I can see us taking an OT but Gaither won't declare. Can anyone explain why he's rumoured to do so?
                            I think the rumour is regarding his grades within school, but it is a rumour so take it for what it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                              First of all Oliver is more of a man corner rather than zone. Our coaches may not feel that he fits the system well so it's unlikely that we use a pick on him if it costs us in '08. My second point was already mentioned in your quoted post. We have 6 CBs on the roster already with rookies like Hamilton also competing for a spot. Why would we add another one if it costs a draft pick, doesn't fit and forces us to cut a player that would otherwise be a contributor. Kelly and Barber are starters, Buchanon is an interesting nickelback, Cox is a returner and veteran special teamer, Zemaitis is developing and Davis has a chance at the roster. I see no reason to replace any of those guys at the current moment, especially when there are other considerations like the cost and risk. Have our coaches done a thorough background check and studying/scouting job on a guy that didn't declare for the draft originally? Probably not. Would we feel comfortable drafting a guy we don't know much about? No. We're in the middle of assembling our roster as camps go on, why would we interrupt all of that for a troubled corner that doesn't fit? You think the irritable Chucky himself wants to go through all of that? Unlikely.
                              Didn't Barber and Kelly play man-man in college? Oliver was 5th in tackles for Georgia,speaks volumes about him. Can help in the run, coach him up in our system, 3rd round will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information