• 2012 Tennessee Titans Discussion!

Discuss the Titans here.
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

First post in the new Titans' thread...woo-hoo!!! 8)

So...another site that I was reading was breaking down how the Titans DEF is actually somehow WORSE this year than it was last year. They pose an interesting question: With the addition of players like Chris Hope, Robaire Smith, David Thornton, and Cortland Finnegan (all of whom have made plays this year), how can the DEF be statistically worse??? Do the problems lie with the players or with something else...*cough* Schwartz *cough*...

I think this is what us Titans' fans on this board have been saying for awhile. Will Schwartz FINALLY be gone after this season, so that our defensive talent can play up to their potential???

Comment

Damn, I had a nice long post typed up and my pc froze. Oh well, I'll give it another go.

I think Schwartzie's ulta conservative schemes do play a large part into why our defense is so bad, but if you want my opinion, another huge reason is because we are soft up the middle. Randy Starks cannot hold up against the run, he gets pushed around. Robaire is ok against the run, but he's no dominant stuffer. Then the to top it all of, we have probably the slowest, least physical MLB in the leage, Pete Sirmon, behind them. It's just not a winning combination.

We need to build our defense back up geared to stopping the run, and it all starts in the trenches. What I would do, is use the same blueprint that the Jacksonville Jaguars used:

Say we are picking in the 6-10 (which is very realistic because of tiebreakers) range in the draft. CJ and Gaines are gone. I pick Alan Branch to team with Big Al next year. Al and Al.

Branch = 6'6 330
      Albert = 6'6 320, though if you look at him, he's clearly around 330

Use Starks and Mahelona in rotation, let Robaire walk. Put those two beasts together starting at DT, and let Tulloch be a sideline-to-sideline MLB, sort of cut in the mold of Mike Peterson.

Then, with the $41 Mill in cap space, I'd probably try to sign a CB or OL like Asante Samuel or Eric Steinbach. I'd also lock up some of our younger guys long term. In rd 2, I'd look to upgrade CB or DE. Say:

Rd 1. Alan Branch
      Rd 2. Fred Bennett

That'd be:

RDE: Travis LaBoy (look to upgrade in FA!)
      DT: Alan Branch
      DT: Albert Haynesworth
      LDE: Kyle Vanden Bosch

WLB: Keith Bulluck
      MLB: Stephen Tulloch
      SLB: David Thornton

RCB: Fred Bennett
      FS: LaMont Thompson/Vincent Fuller/Calvin Lowry (camp battle or upgrade in FA)
      SS: Chris Hope
      LCB: Adam Jones

Do I think it'll happen? No, because I think the staff views Starks and Robaire as quality starter, but if I were running the team, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Forgot to add, I'd fire Schwartz and hire a new DC as well, I'll need to research some candidates before I choose.

Of course this will all never happen, but...

Comment

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
          XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
          Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
          http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

Originally posted by smittyjs
            Hey smitty, how you been doing?

Comment

Originally posted by jagfan33
              Originally posted by smittyjs
              Hey smitty, how you been doing?
              Good

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
              XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
              Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
              http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

Odom had knee arthroscopic knee surgery today. Fisher says he might miss 2-3 weeks, maybe less. I'm starting to think Odom will never shake the injury bug. :?

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FOR THE FIRST TIME IN # SEASONS THE TITANS ARE GOING TO BE ON TELLY IN ENGLAND so happy

Comment

why do you have crying smilies then stephnonson?

Comment

I think the Titans will pick up a FA FS, and CB. Since we are supposed to have 41 million in cap space next year.

By jkpigskin

Comment

I remember when the Oilers first moved to Tennessee and there were serious discussions that they might be named the Tennessee Tuxedos. That would have been the best damn mascot ever.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                          I remember when the Oilers first moved to Tennessee and there were serious discussions that they might be named the Tennessee Tuxedos. That would have been the best damn mascot ever.
                          That would have been awesome.

Anyway, could of updates:

Calvin Lowry got some practice reps with the 1st team defense at FS. LaMont should still start, but he could be on a short leash...hopefully...or this could mean nothing at all.

Rob Reynolds got placed on IR and we signed Terna Nande off the PS to the active roster.

Comment

terna nande is pretty good but it is too bad that he is buried in the depth chart

Comment

Originally posted by rainbeaukid2
                              terna nande is pretty good but it is too bad that he is buried in the depth chart
                              I thought he would be a beast on special teams, but he looked really bad in preseason. Overpursued alot and missed a bunch of tackles as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information