2012 Tennessee Titans Discussion!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
    Hines, you can keep your hate for White but you should give Bulluck another chance. He just held the towel up to the camera and said some unaudible words. You should be more mad at Bo Scaife if anybody.
    I am more mad at Scaife and White because what they did was disrespectful. Bulluck is on my **** list, but he will probably get off soon. I like the dude too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
      I don't have a huge problem with it. It pisses me off to no end, but its fair game as a symbol.

And I get that most people, most likely White, have no idea the history of the towel itself. It seems very disrespectful to be stomping on it when you know what purpose it serves, and that its creator is a legend in Pittsburgh that recently passed away.

I'd see it as alot worse if I thought white new this, but really its just a heat of the moment kind of thing. The players had to hate seeing those towels in huge numbers in their house.
      Exactly. But it also comes down to being disrespected as a team. Few were picking the Titans despite the better W/L and the fact it was at home. I think the ESPN had every state but TN picking the Steelers to win. I'm not sure how different that would have been with KVB and AH playing, probably not at all. Stomping on the towel is probably as much directed to the media etc than the Steelers, maybe even more so. It seems every week the media have a new #1 other than the Titans and this was a statement for that.

LenDale and MJD go back and forth with USC vs UCLA stuff, it's in the same kind of category as that. Trashtalk, except in a visual form. I don't see it changing the next matchup, if there is one. If you don't already play your hardest in the AFCC game against a team that beat you up for the #1 seed, I can't see disrespecting an icon offering much of a boost.

I'm sure Steelers fans will up the rivalry and it will no doubt magnify the pain or joy for Steelers fans if they play in the AFCC, but I can't see it influencing the game at all from the POV of the players.
      Last edited by OzTitan; 12-21-2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
        Exactly. But it also comes down to being disrespected as a team. Few were picking the Titans despite the better W/L and the fact it was at home. I think the ESPN had every state but TN picking the Titans to win. I'm not sure how different that would have been with KVB and AH playing, probably not at all. Stomping on the towel is probably as much directed to the media etc than the Steelers, maybe even more so. It seems every week the media have a new #1 other than the Titans and this was a statement for that.

LenDale and MJD go back and forth with USC vs UCLA stuff, it's in the same kind of category as that. Trashtalk, except in a visual form. I don't see it changing the next matchup, if there is one. If you don't already play your hardest in the AFCC game against a team that beat you up for the #1 seed, I can't see disrespecting an icon offering much of a boost.

I'm sure Steelers fans will up the rivalry and it will no doubt magnify the pain or joy for Steelers fans if they play in the AFCC, but I can't see it influencing the game at all from the POV of the players.
        I dont think this stomping incident makes us a rivalry. Us as fans are pissed that your team did it, but we wont consider you a rivalry like Cinci, Cleveland, BMore, NE, or Dallas.

Comment

• Well, that could change soon. Steelers and Titans have some playoff history, and Steelers and Oilers go back a bit.

Comment

• I completely agree this does nothing to change the game. If you need any more motivation for an AFC Championship game your in the wrong game.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• I think the Titans, Steelers, and Ravens were well on their way to becoming a great triumvirate rivalry before the divisions were realigned. Now the Ravens and Steelers still are obviously, but the Titans aren't of course.
              Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
              RIP themaninblack

Comment

• Can we replace Cincy with Tennessee?

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• Hey, we Titans fans pitched a fit about Carolina stealing our recently created "Smash 'n Dash" nickname, so we can understand where ya'll are coming from - especially after considering the apparent history and social ties that the towel represents in Pittsburgh. I don't blame ya'll what-so-ever for being angry at what LenDale did - we all agree it was a punk move. LenWhale is a bit of a douche. I just want ya'll to see his douche baggery in context. I had no clue that the Terrible Towel proceeds went to a charity, that it was invented by a prominent person, and that that person just recently died. It only adds insult to injury to demean the towel after it's inventor recently passed away. I refuse to believe that LenWhale would have stomped the towel had he known it's history, and I do know that Jeff Fisher will be all over LenDale and Scaife for their behavior. Fish understands the true impact of what they did, and he'll educate the disorderly players.

But, while I won't defend young players like LenWhale and Scaife, Bulluck doesn't deserve to be called classless. He held up the dirty towel as a symbol of his team's accomplishment. He got caught up in the heat of the moment, and that one instance should not stain his reputation of being a class act.

This is a guy who's been one of, if not the, most under-rated defensive players in the NFL over his career. He's been on defenses that were ranked 32nd in the league and defenses that were ranked Top 5 in the league. Yet, he still played at a high level and has been the most productive all-around LB's over the past 5 seasons. He was here when the Titans were competiting in the playoffs, to slipping into cap hell, to moving into rebuilding mode, and now finally has seen the team and defense return to being among the best in the league.

He's the leader of the defense of the team that just upset the #1 defense in the NFL in front of the home crowd. No doubt a pinnacle of the season for him, and the game that truly validates what his team has done. His gesture wasn't a symbol of arrogance like LenDale's was. His was a symbol of accomplishment and validation. I ask that ya'll don't hold it against him.
                  Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                  Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                  Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Like Bulluck said in his post game quotes - he doesn't care. Bulluck is a pissed off man right now and he doesn't care if feelings get hurt. He's getting on in age and he wants a ring badly, you can tell. He's pissed off about playing the underdog when the Titans probably shouldn't, he's pissed about not going to Hawaii (again), he's pissed off when the team overlooks an opponent like NYJ and Houston and loses. Bulluck has always been a straight talker but this season he's playing and talking angry. One gets the impression he's putting all he has left in this season.

As he said in his quotes, he has great respect for the Steelers and wasn't trying to be disrespectful, he just wants to let it be known the Titans intend on "stomping" anyone who comes in this playoffs. That's what he said, anyway. Bulluck wasn't being a punk about it like LenDale. More or less the same act though I guess *shrug*.

There's a picture of Keith stomping on the towel and Hope is looking onwards with a bit of a smirk on his face. He got a ring in Pittsburgh, so I'm sure it was somewhat of an odd moment for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                      I am more mad at Scaife and White because what they did was disrespectful. Bulluck is on my **** list, but he will probably get off soon. I like the dude too much.
                      Steelers disrespected the Cowboys after the win, what goes around comes around...I was glad to see the Titans put an emphasis on this game, after the Steelers won it wasn't alot of respect passed around, we read all the quotes, so I just wanted to see how Steelers fans or players would take this loss.

It is what it is, but the Steelers have had their fare share of rubbing it in, it was their turn this week and that's all there is to it.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        Steelers disrespected the Cowboys after the win, what goes around comes around...I was glad to see the Titans put an emphasis on this game, after the Steelers won it wasn't alot of respect passed around, we read all the quotes, so I just wanted to see how Steelers fans or players would take this loss.

It is what it is, but the Steelers have had their fare share of rubbing it in, it was their turn this week and that's all there is to it.
                        What exactly did Pittsburgh do? I didnt catch it.

Comment

• Great job on the win guys. We got the ass-whooping of the season.

But yeah, White, Scaife, and Kearse (who blew his nose on the towel) have no idea of what they just did. Last time someone disrespected the towel (Houshmandzadeh cleaning his shoe with one) we went to Cincy in the first round of the playoffs, beat them, played an extremely physical game, accidentally tore two of Carson Palmer's ligaments, and then won three more games as visitors before becoming champions.

Most of the starters are still there, other than Joey Porter. James Harrison, however, has a mean temper, and Woodley is better than Haggans. If we play each other again, those guys are going to be extremely fired up. It'd be a great game to watch.

But for the moment, enjoy the win. You guys simply outplayed us.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• And as for what the Terrible Towel means,:

"The Terrible Towel is a gimmick created for the encouragement of the Pittsburgh Steelers, an American football team in the National Football League (NFL). Created in 1975 by late Steelers radio broadcaster Myron Cope, the Towel has since become "arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team".[1] Since its invention, The Terrible Towel has spread in popularity; fans often take their Towel to famous sites while on vacation. The Towel has been taken to the peak of Mount Everest and seen on Saturday Night Live. It is widely recognized as a symbol of the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh.[2][3]

Proceeds from sales of the Towel have raised over US$2 million for a Pennsylvania school which cares for people with mental retardation and physical disabilities. Terrible Towel is credited with being the first "rally towel", its success has spawned similar trends.[4] Numerous versions have been produced; all are black and gold in color with the words "Myron Cope's Official The Terrible Towel" printed on the front."

So White, Kearse, Bulluck, and Scaife disrespected a charity organization, the Steelers organization, the city of Pittsburgh, and currently the most important reason is Myron Cope, the legendary radio broadcaster for the Steelers who passed away this February.

I know that the players probably didn't know all this and were just fired up with the game, but they still did what they did. And Tomlin's going to use it to his advantage, much like Cowher did the Housh clip.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                              And as for what the Terrible Towel means,:

"The Terrible Towel is a gimmick created for the encouragement of the Pittsburgh Steelers, an American football team in the National Football League (NFL). Created in 1975 by late Steelers radio broadcaster Myron Cope, the Towel has since become "arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team".[1] Since its invention, The Terrible Towel has spread in popularity; fans often take their Towel to famous sites while on vacation. The Towel has been taken to the peak of Mount Everest and seen on Saturday Night Live. It is widely recognized as a symbol of the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh.[2][3]

Proceeds from sales of the Towel have raised over US$2 million for a Pennsylvania school which cares for people with mental retardation and physical disabilities. Terrible Towel is credited with being the first "rally towel", its success has spawned similar trends.[4] Numerous versions have been produced; all are black and gold in color with the words "Myron Cope's Official The Terrible Towel" printed on the front."

So White, Kearse, Bulluck, and Scaife disrespected a charity organization, the Steelers organization, the city of Pittsburgh, and currently the most important reason is Myron Cope, the legendary radio broadcaster for the Steelers who passed away this February.

I know that the players probably didn't know all this and were just fired up with the game, but they still did what they did. And Tomlin's going to use it to his advantage, much like Cowher did the Housh clip.
                              Like has been stated before by another poster, if you need any more incentive in an AFC championship game(which would be the next time we face each other if it occurs) you are not playing the right game. Hell, if you need any more incentive to play a playoff game, you aren't playing the right game. Also, if you hit us hard, trust us that we will hit you harder. Bulluck and Haynesworth, Thorton and Finny, Kearse and Griffin and Hope. All of these players know how to play physically, and they don't need any extra incentive.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                              Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                                Exactly. But it also comes down to being disrespected as a team. Few were picking the Titans despite the better W/L and the fact it was at home. I think the ESPN had every state but TN picking the Steelers to win. I'm not sure how different that would have been with KVB and AH playing, probably not at all. Stomping on the towel is probably as much directed to the media etc than the Steelers, maybe even more so. It seems every week the media have a new #1 other than the Titans and this was a statement for that.
                                Absolutely right!

I actually think that the towel stomp had less to do with the Steelers and more to do with the media. All week long, the Titans heard from every media outlet how the Steelers were a much better team and how they were going to whoop up on the Titans (despite the fact that the Titans were playing at home and that they had a better win-loss record). Really...all season long, the Titans have heard that, even thought they're good, they're not QUITE as good as other teams -- e.g. the Giants, the Jets, the Steelers, etc. (not to mention all the recent respect given to the Colts again).

Of course, now you will hear that the towel stomp was rude or will only serve to hype up the Steelers. Why will that become the story? Because the sports media WANTS that to become the story. Modern media is, by its very nature, opportunistic and rarely self-reflective. If there's not a story here, they'll create one for the sake of something to talk about.

All that said, I thought it was a good game and I'm looking forward to the Titans playing the Steelers again in the AFC championship...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information