No announcement yet.

2012 Tennessee Titans Discussion!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rien Long was recently in a car accident. Upgraded from critical to stable condition.

Sad to hear about Rien's car accident. It happened Monday night and was a one-car crash . Apparently he was speeding, and lost control when he went off an on-ramp. His condition is improving, which is great. There was a passenger with him, but he wasn't seriously injured.
    Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
    Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Hmmm.... sad news. Wonder why he is still hanging around nashville since he's not with the titans anymore? i guess he really loves nashville.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
        You are not mistaken. Him, Haynesworth, and Laboy are all FA's this offseason.
        Damn, we better go after him then.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I'm hoping we keep Odom. He had a good year, and seems to have come into his own. So he may want a large contract. The only problem is that he's been injury prone his entire NFL career, and has two reconstructed legs. And even though he started every game, he rotated with Travis LaBoy quite a bit.

Odom is the 2nd best DE on the Titans DLine, after Vanden Bosch. But, he's not worth KVB money or big time DE money. I hope we re-sign him, but I don't think we'll break the bank for him. I hope we can keep him, and hope guys like Justin Smith and Martin Rucker receive more attention.

Either way, he'll help any 4-3 Defense. I'm assuming he'd be the LE in the Vike's Cover 2. Odom paired up with the Williams Wall would be brutal!
          Last edited by TitanHope; 01-23-2008, 07:57 PM.
          Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
          Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• I'd like to keep Odom, but I don't know if I'd pay him the same money Justin Tuck got.

The only thing that I can't stop thinking though is that Odom hasn't hit his peak yet in my opinion. I think being able to play this year and stay healthy, plus a healthy offseason and another training camp, that he will be better next year.

Comment

• Id rather us keep odom than laboy if it comes down to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                Either way, he'll help any 4-3 Defense. I'm assuming he'd be the LE in the Vike's Cover 2. Odom paired up with the Williams Wall would be brutal!
                Yeah, that's what I was thinking. He'd be a sure improvement over anyone we have right now. We don't have a chance of getting Suggs or Peppers.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I think Jared Allen and Terrell Suggs will be the top tier of the DE's. Though, if Kansas City and Baltimore can't come to terms with them, they'll likely be Franchise Tagged.

The next tier would probably be Antwan Odom, Justin Smith, Mike Rucker, Paul Spicer(3-4 DE), and Greg White. I think White was re-signed, but I'm not sure. I think Odom heads this group. Rucker and Spicer are in their 30's, and Smith had a down year. Spicer could play in a 3-4 DEF, though, and had a good season. Rucker had a bad year, and I wonder if he'll retire.

The rest of the FA DE's are probably just backups/rotation/special teams guys, unless there's a hidden gem like KVB hidden somewhere.

Originally posted by PB53
                  I'd like to keep Odom, but I don't know if I'd pay him the same money Justin Tuck got.

The only thing that I can't stop thinking though is that Odom hasn't hit his peak yet in my opinion. I think being able to play this year and stay healthy, plus a healthy offseason and another training camp, that he will be better next year.
                  I agree. 5-Years/30 Million is more than what KVB makes, if memory serves me right. Odom should only get that much if he has an incentive laiden contract. Tuck will be starting when Strahan retires, so the Giants aren't shelling out that money to a backup. They're shelling it to the future. If we know Odom is our future at LE, then I don't mind giving him the money,

Odom is a physical phreak. He could have been a 1st RD pick, but he fell to us in the 2nd RD. I agree that we've just seen the tip of the iceberg of what Odom can do. And if we upgrade the DT spot next to him, he'll be even better. He has the ability to be our dude at LE, but I'd prefer that his contract be incentive laiden. That, or somewhere around 5-Year/24 Million/7 Mil. Guaranteed. I think Chris Hope's contract was in that range.
                  Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                  Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• I dunno. On second thought, paying him might not be a bad thing. Gotta take some risks sometimes. I think Tuck is a better, more versatile player, but Odom had a really good year in my opinion. Lots of QB hurries and lots of batted down passes and like I said, I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

Just think, if we don't re-sign him, then we will certainly have to bring in another DE because we are thin on depth there to start with. Any DE at or close to Odom's level is gonna command alot of money anyway, so why not just give it to the young guy that is still developing. The only other thought is replacing him through the draft, but it is so unpredictable, that if the board doesn't fall right, you either find yourself reaching on a guy or having to wait a round later because the guy you wanted was snatched up before your pick. Next thing you know you've drafted a 3rd or 4th round rookie DE to replace your starter.

Giving him a bigger contract than KVB is no biggie. That's just the way it's gonna be. Salaries are inflating and Antwan is young. No way around it.

I'd pay Odom before I paid Bell. And LaBoy.

Comment

• I wouldn't mind keeping Odom for the right price...

That said, I don't think he's an every-down type DE like KVB. So even if we do re-sign him for a reasonable amount, I'd like to see us invest a draft pick or sign a FA vet to come in and compete/rotate with him.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about our interior DL, as Haynesworth's contract status is up in the air, Randy Starks is gone (good riddance!), and Tony Brown is only a solid rotational type player. I know that we'll likely franchise Haynesworth if a new contract isn't worked out; however, I still think we need to either draft or sign a very good DT -- either to replace him in a year or start alongside him in the middle (with T-Brown as the rotation).

Comment

• Originally posted by MicktheGreat View Post
                        I wouldn't mind keeping Odom for the right price...

That said, I don't think he's an every-down type DE like KVB. So even if we do re-sign him for a reasonable amount, I'd like to see us invest a draft pick or sign a FA vet to come in and compete/rotate with him.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about our interior DL, as Haynesworth's contract status is up in the air, Randy Starks is gone (good riddance!), and Tony Brown is only a solid rotational type player. I know that we'll likely franchise Haynesworth if a new contract isn't worked out; however, I still think we need to either draft or sign a very good DT -- either to replace him in a year or start alongside him in the middle (with T-Brown as the rotation).

Hmmm... Maybe Jacksonville will give us marcus stroud for pacman, reynaldo hill, ben troupe, and a 7th round pick......:)

Comment

• A news clip from The Tennessean (via GoTitans.com)...

Titans to Have $40 Million in Cap Room Heading into Free Agency
                          Staff Report
                          January 24th, 2008
                          The Tennessee Titans sit near the top of the NFL with $40 million in cap room. However, they will only have 40 players under contract for 2008 not counting restricted free agents and futures contracts. "We have the resources that we need to get better, to make this team better," General Manager Mike Reinfeldt said. "That being said, I think we should still do our homework. Doing it in a disciplined way still makes sense." The Titans will want to look to signing some of their own unrestricted free agents. Among those who will be UFAs is Jacob Bell, Chris Brown, Justin Gage, Gilbert Gardner, Ben Hartsock, Albert Haynesworth, Chidi Iwuoma, Travis LaBoy, Eric Moulds, Donnie Nickey, Antwan Odom, Rich Scanlon, Randy Starks and Ben Troupe. Among the RFAs are Rob Bironas, Casey Cramer, Vincent Fuller, Reynaldo Hill, Daniel Loper, Bo Scaife and David Stewart. The Titans two exclusive rights players include Sean Conover and Ahmard Hall.

I'll be interested to see just how big of a role we play in free agency. We had a considerable amount of money last offseason as well; however, we played the market in a relatively conservative manner.

Of the unrestricted free agents, I'd rank them (in order of importance of getting re-signed):
                          1. DT Albert Haynesworth
                          2. OG Jacob Bell
                          3. DE Antwan Odom
                          4. WR Justin Gage

Haynesworth is clearly our most valuable free agent and would be one of the most sought-after players on the market if he became available. Continuity is important on the OL, and Bell is a good OG -- with Benji likely gone and Mawae getting older and coming back from injury, I'd like to see us keep Bell. Odom is getting better and played well this season, and it'll be interesting to see the kinds of offers that he gets from other teams. Gage played very well for us this season (surprisingly) and was probably our most reliable WR for most of the season, and he could likely be re-signed for a reasonable cost...

Comment

• Originally posted by MicktheGreat View Post
                            A news clip from The Tennessean (via GoTitans.com)...

Titans to Have $40 Million in Cap Room Heading into Free Agency
                            Staff Report
                            January 24th, 2008
                            The Tennessee Titans sit near the top of the NFL with $40 million in cap room. However, they will only have 40 players under contract for 2008 not counting restricted free agents and futures contracts. "We have the resources that we need to get better, to make this team better," General Manager Mike Reinfeldt said. "That being said, I think we should still do our homework. Doing it in a disciplined way still makes sense." The Titans will want to look to signing some of their own unrestricted free agents. Among those who will be UFAs is Jacob Bell, Chris Brown, Justin Gage, Gilbert Gardner, Ben Hartsock, Albert Haynesworth, Chidi Iwuoma, Travis LaBoy, Eric Moulds, Donnie Nickey, Antwan Odom, Rich Scanlon, Randy Starks and Ben Troupe. Among the RFAs are Rob Bironas, Casey Cramer, Vincent Fuller, Reynaldo Hill, Daniel Loper, Bo Scaife and David Stewart. The Titans two exclusive rights players include Sean Conover and Ahmard Hall.

I'll be interested to see just how big of a role we play in free agency. We had a considerable amount of money last offseason as well; however, we played the market in a relatively conservative manner.

Of the unrestricted free agents, I'd rank them (in order of importance of getting re-signed):
                            1. DT Albert Haynesworth
                            2. OG Jacob Bell
                            3. DE Antwan Odom
                            4. WR Justin Gage

Haynesworth is clearly our most valuable free agent and would be one of the most sought-after players on the market if he became available. Continuity is important on the OL, and Bell is a good OG -- with Benji likely gone and Mawae getting older and coming back from injury, I'd like to see us keep Bell. Odom is getting better and played well this season, and it'll be interesting to see the kinds of offers that he gets from other teams. Gage played very well for us this season (surprisingly) and was probably our most reliable WR for most of the season, and he could likely be re-signed for a reasonable cost...
                            Those are the only ones that I feel like we should resign.

Comment

• Jim Schwartz has been given a 2-year extension.

The Titans are also apparently going after Gregg Williams heavily, in an attempt to sign him to the coaching staff. I'm guessing he would be put in a Assistant Head Coach position, or something along those lines. But, I bet he accepts a DC bid from another team before an Assist. HC spot from us.
                              Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                              Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Yeah, I don't see Williams coming to play second to Schwartz, and I'm not sure what another assistant coach would DO with the Titans staff. I really like Williams, and I'd love to have a bit of his aggressive tendencies in Schwartz's gameplan, but it seems very unlikely.

Mick, I like your list. I would switch Odom and Bell, personally. In fact, Bell is the guy I'm not sure the Titans will sign. He's a good player, but I think they'll work harder at keeping Odom. Of course, Bell is likely to be cheaper than Odom. We've been seeing articles that suggest that Odom is looking for a big payday, and frankly he deserves it. His sacks aren't huge, but he gets a LOT of QB hurries. He's an underrated player.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information