Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redskins' 2008 Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    Redskins Draft Grade

    2(34) Devin Thomas- (A) Made me sick when this pick was made. I wanted Mike Jenkins at 22 and Thomas at 28. Bah!

    2(48) Fred Davis- (C-) A bigger mistake than you probably realize. Yeah, you needed depth, but with a 2nd rounder who doesn't provide any more versatility at the position than what you already have? With the WC offense Zorn brings, you probably should've gone with a more traditional TE, like a John Carlson or Martellus Bennett... or better yet, a Kellen Davis, Martin Rucker, Jermichael Finley much later in the draft instead of adding another H-Back type.

    2(51) Malcolm Kelly- (C) At this point overkill is a good word. It's like you guys forgot that you already had highly invested receivers on your team. But to each their own. You ready to take on the cap hit of releasing Moss and Randle El? Or are you seriously gonna pay to keep them all?

    3(96) Chad Rhinehart (B-) Plays like a hog lineman. Like the fit, not a huge fan of the value.

    4(125) Justin Tyron (D) Not sure what the team saw in him to feel like grabbing him here. I feel it was a reach.

    6(168) Durant Brooks (B+) Good time to take him. I think he still would've been there at 186, but I do think he's a keeper.

    6(180) Kareem Moore (B) Can't complain about it here, but he's nothing to write home about.

    6(186) Colt Brennan (A-) At this point of the draft, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Don't get caught up in the hate because you may have a personal agenda against him. Give yourself a chance to see how he adjusts to the NFL. If he can't adjust, there really is no harm in cutting him later. I think you'll be fans sooner rather than later.

    7(242) Rob Jackson (C) I don't know who he is. So I guess he's an average 7th round pick.

    7(249) Chris Horton (C) Horton hears a who?
    I respect the opinion but Malcolm Kelly had a first round grade and you don't realize how thin our WR corps is. We got both these guys in the second round and the front office graded them as 1st round talent so they feel like they got a steal in paying 2 big guys non first round money. There is no reason we cut Moss or Randle El its not like we are too tied up into them in salary. These guys may not start or see the field as much as we would like immediately but Moss was constantly hurt last year and Randle El was dinged up a lot as well. After that its James Thrash and.... not much. Pretty much just developmental guys so I think it was a smart move.


    Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
    12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

    Steddy Ambition!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
      I respect the opinion but Malcolm Kelly had a first round grade and you don't realize how thin our WR corps is. We got both these guys in the second round and the front office graded them as 1st round talent so they feel like they got a steal in paying 2 big guys non first round money. There is no reason we cut Moss or Randle El its not like we are too tied up into them in salary. These guys may not start or see the field as much as we would like immediately but Moss was constantly hurt last year and Randle El was dinged up a lot as well. After that its James Thrash and.... not much. Pretty much just developmental guys so I think it was a smart move.
      I think Malcolm Kelly had a first round grade until he ran his 40. If Washington gave him a first round grade, then they were probably the only ones since nobody else took him in round 1. You are probably right. Moss and Randle El probably won't get cut, but I think you've invested a lot into the receiving corps (WRs & TEs). More than you probably need or could afford to.

      Damn you guys for getting Devin Thomas and Colt Brennan though.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        I think Malcolm Kelly had a first round grade until he ran his 40. If Washington gave him a first round grade, then they were probably the only ones since nobody else took him in round 1. You are probably right. Moss and Randle El probably won't get cut, but I think you've invested a lot into the receiving corps (WRs & TEs). More than you probably need or could afford to.

        Damn you guys for getting Devin Thomas and Colt Brennan though.
        You may be right but only time will tell. Kelly and Thomas will have low paying rookie contracts and by the time one of them breaks out and deserves a renewal or upgrade Moss or Randle El might be off the team. If all of them pan out though down the road you could be right cause it would be hard to pay top money to two te's and two or potentially three wr's if they develop into good or even great players.


        Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
        12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

        Steddy Ambition!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

        Comment


        • #49
          What is the overall view of Colt Brennan from Redskins fans?

          Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
            What is the overall view of Colt Brennan from Redskins fans?
            I don't know about the people on this board but at extremeskins there is mixed feelings. Some people love the value and potential under Zorn and some think the pick was a waste. Personally, I don't mind the pick but I'm not crazy about it.


            Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
            12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

            Steddy Ambition!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

            Comment


            • #51
              I would never call the pick a waste because that late it's worth the risk on a guy with his production. I am notoriously a Brennan "hater" as you'd say but I don't deny the tools he possesses. I think this actually is one of the systems in the NFL in which he actually could find his own, but still no matter what system you are in you will still need to make those outside the hash throws and he doesn't have the arm strength to do so. And he is still small in stature. Damn Jon Gruden and his love fest with QB's for taking the perfect QB project for our system Josh Johnson.

              Sig By:The Dynasty

              2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

              Comment


              • #52
                If Zorn likes the pick, I like it too.

                He's one of the better, if not best, QB developer in the league and Brennan already has most of the important intangibles.

                Comment


                • #53
                  dig hearts the brennan pick.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                    I would never call the pick a waste because that late it's worth the risk on a guy with his production. I am notoriously a Brennan "hater" as you'd say but I don't deny the tools he possesses. I think this actually is one of the systems in the NFL in which he actually could find his own, but still no matter what system you are in you will still need to make those outside the hash throws and he doesn't have the arm strength to do so. And he is still small in stature. Damn Jon Gruden and his love fest with QB's for taking the perfect QB project for our system Josh Johnson.
                    I'm just going to assume you've never seen Hawaii's offense in action, cause that's just completely false.

                    Last I checked 6'3 218 was not small for a QB.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
                      If Zorn likes the pick, I like it too.

                      He's one of the better, if not best, QB developer in the league and Brennan already has most of the important intangibles.
                      I love the fact that this was Zorn's pick. He and Brennan are in similar situations where they are underdog picks... Zorn for his new job in Washington and Brennan as a late rounder. They are 2 peas in a pod. I know for a fact that Brennan is hungry for this and I know Zorn will do his best job to cultivate that desire. I like how things have worked out for Brennan.

                      Colt Brennan will be a fan favorite by the time preseason is over.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        My assessment of the Skins draft

                        Redskins 2008 Draft Assessment & Alternate Picks
                        I'll give my assessment of the Redskins 2008 picks and who I would have chosen instead. Generally I gave the Redskins a C+ because I felt they didn't do enough to address the O and D lines. The Skins philosophy is clearly BPA which clashes with my needs based approach. Apparently Casserly, on NFLN, claims most teams use a BPA approach and drafts fail if teams deviate from that to reach for a need pick.


                        This is, of course, a preliminary assessment. Let's see how things pan out in 3 years.



                        R2#34 Devin Thomas WR Michigan State
                        Love the pick and tremendous value in the 2nd round.


                        R2#48 Fred Davis TE USC
                        This is going to be controversial but I consider this a luxury pick. Davis is probably the best TE in the draft but since we have Cooley this is overkill. I feel there are other WCO type TE's that can be drafted to fit Zorn's system later in the draft.
                        Alternate pick: Jason Jones DE Eastern Michigan
                        Similar measurables to Merling but he comes from a small school so he is more of a project. Played DT his senior season so he has some flexibility (drafted by the Titans @ #54)


                        R2#51 Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
                        A big talented WR with questionable attitude and knees. I have warmed up a little more to the pick because it's clear Zorn needs this type of WR for his offence. I'm 50/50 whether to stay with this pick or not.
                        Alternate pick: Earl Bennett WR Vanderbilt
                        A shorter version of Kelly (drafted by Chicago @ #70)


                        R3#96
                        Chad Reinhart OT/OG Nothern Iowa
                        One of the draft's real sleeper picks fills a need. I like this pick.


                        R4#124 Justin Tryon CB ASU
                        Depth at CB was a need and he fits our system so I'm fine with this pick.


                        R6#168 Durant Brooks P GTech
                        At first I was Po'ed at this pick but I quickly remembered Frost's inconsistency. Brooks was the highest rated punter in the draft so I'm fine with this pick too.


                        R6#180 Kareem Moore S Nicholls State
                        Since the Skins have only 3 safeties on the roster this was a need pick. Short but seems like a good in the box safety. However Josh Barrett was there and it seems odd they passed him over for Moore
                        Alternate Pick: Josh Barrett S ASU


                        R6#186 Colt Brennan QB Hawaii
                        I'm not a fan of QBs in gimmicky offenses and weak conferences. Honestly if the Skins wanted a developmental QB take Paul Smith in the 7th. His performance in the Bowl Game against Georgia convinced me he has no place in the NFL.
                        Alternate pick: Tom Santi TE Virgina
                        Picked by the Colts later in the 6th, he has similar size to Davis and would be a decent enough target to team with Cooley in the WCO.


                        R7#242 Rob Jackson DE Kansas State
                        Well at least it was a Dlineman. If the Skins drafted Jones as I suggested earlier this pick is unnecessary.
                        Alternate pick: Erin Henderson OLB Maryland
                        I do not understand why he wasn't drafted in at least the mid rounds. The Skins need depth at OLB because, like CB, incumbents are questionable due to injury.


                        R7#249 Chris Horton S UCLA
                        Another safety? I realize depth is a little thin there but you can get S in UDFA's too.
                        Alternate pick: Paul Smith QB Tulsa
                        I realize the need for a developmental QB. Paul Smith put up similar #'s to Brennan in a 2nd rate conference too, so I don't see the big difference between the two.


                        I welcome any comments and any assessments or alternate picks of your own.
                        Sean Taylor - You'll always be missed but never forgotten

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Canadian_draft_fan View Post
                          R6#186 Colt Brennan QB Hawaii
                          I'm not a fan of QBs in gimmicky offenses and weak conferences. Honestly if the Skins wanted a developmental QB take Paul Smith in the 7th. His performance in the Bowl Game against Georgia convinced me he has no place in the NFL.
                          Alternate pick: Tom Santi TE Virgina
                          Picked by the Colts later in the 6th, he has similar size to Davis and would be a decent enough target to team with Cooley in the WCO.
                          Do you think Colt would've had a better performance than he did if he was the one dressed in a Georgia uniform facing Hawaii?

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            Do you think Colt would've had a better performance than he did if he was the one dressed in a Georgia uniform facing Hawaii?
                            D-unit, I know you are a CB fan and you make a valid point in your post. My main problem with that pick is that the Skins could have addressed other needs with that pick and gotten Smith or possibly Brennan in the 7th. I realize we are talking about late round picks here so their roster impact will be minor.

                            You support CB and say the Skins got a good pick. I hope you are right.
                            Sean Taylor - You'll always be missed but never forgotten

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X

                            Debug Information