09 Skins Offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09 Skins Offseason

Never too early on a draft forum right? It's obviously early on the season but heres my breakdown based off of how I think this year will go.

Offensive Breakdown:

QB - Campbell may or may not be the future of this offense but Colt is waiting in the wings for his chance. Campbell is going to be given every opportunity this year to prove himself and where I do think that he has all the physical tools I am not sure he is right for the WCO. He needs to continue to work on a quicker release and I would love to see more emotion from him. At this point I'd say its 50/50 that Jason turns out to be our man but if he doesn't, I'm excited to see Colt down the road if it turns to that. I think he was born for the WCO and a year or two with Zorn could do wonders. Either way I don't think we need to address QB after this year except for a #3 once Todd retires.

RB - I love me some Clinton Portis. He is an absolute work horse and the best blocking running back in the NFL. I'm not a fan of Betts one hit wonder season that he had when Portis went down and I wish we had traded him when we had the chance but he is a decent backup and we have him for another 3-4 years.

TE - Cooley and now Fred Davis. Not much to say here.

WR - I could write a book here. Moss to me isn't a WCO receiver and I think our coaches new that this year when we drafted Thomas and Kelly in rd 2. I am a big Thomas fan and I think he could fair well this year as he gets more accustomed to the offense. With Kelly missing most of the year with his knee injury, Thomas should get plenty of opportunity to shine and he needs to be our future. I actually think that El has a better chance of finding his place in this offense than Moss does and could end the season with more catches than Moss. With all that in mind I don't foresee much action next offseason at the WR position. We now have youth in Thomas and Kelly to build on and vets in Moss and El. If Thomas proves me right and begins next year as our #1 then I'm comfortable with that set up.

OLine - This should be one of our biggest needs next offseason. Jansen already lost his starting job to Heyer who the skins seem to like. They are working Jansen at guard and center and we can't really afford to cut him with his cap hit but its a matter of time if you ask me. Thomas and Kendall are nearing the end of their careers but I do really like Rhinehart to replace Kendall at RG. Thomas should still have another 2 years as a reliable starter. I think what we will look for next offseason is another guy similar to Rhinehart who can swing at both OT and OG. Most likely we will start Heyer, Thomas, Rabach, Rhinehart, and Samuels next year but if any of them were to go down we absolutely need a fresh face to groom and play as depth at both OT and OG.

Defensive Breakdown

DLine - I'm not as worried about the DLine as many would think. I think Carter has really found his place on this defense and should have a very successful year. I anticipate 12-13 sacks from him by year end. I'm hoping Taylor can prove his worth and I think we should see him around again next year. Chris Wilson is a guy no one talks about that I think will be our replacement for Taylor. Last year, in his first season, he had 4 sacks and last night he made a nice move on someone and got a quality sack on Eli. Also, the coaching staff seems impressed by Erasmus James recovery and I think they will continue to give him a chance to prove himself through this year and hope for him to be a rotational guy down the road. On the inside we've got two young big boys in Gholston and Montgomery to go along with Cornelius Griffin. I could see the Skins toying with the idea of bringing in a young penetrating style DT and I wouldn't argue with that.

LB - LFB is the freaking man but he won't be around forever which is a good thing that I am a fan of Blades. I think our need at LB is on the outside more than the inside. I'm impressed with McIntosh recovery from injury last year and he looked decent in the opener. I don't see why he wouldn't have 90-100 tackles this year. Marcus Washington still has another 2-3 years in him but I'm not sure how much longer he will be a suitable starter and the depth behind those two guys is nonexistent. I definitely want to address LBer next year and preferably a guy who fits more of the strong side role.

CB - Bottom line: Springs is 32. Rogers is at best a #2 with bricks as hands. Smoot is a nickle/dime back for the remainder of his career. We have no one else on the roster at cb that is worth talking about.

S - Landry = pimp. With Reed, Horton, and Moore all under the age of 25 and fighting for playing time I don't really see the coaches looking to address safety at this point in time. I'd be surprised if one of those 3 didn't step it up by season end and earn the starting spot permanently.

Sooooo with that in mind here are some quick offseason ideas with the assumption that we finish the year around 8-8 and pick in the 13-16 range.

DRAFT

Round 1: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State - I will be all over the Jenkins bandwagon for the entire season. I think he fits our defense perfectly and gives us the much needed boost in the secondary. I'd love Vontae as well but I don't foresee him being on the board for us when we pick. If we end up with a top 7 or 8 pick then I'd love to go after Vontae but in the mid teens I think that Jenkins should absolutely be our guy.

Round 3: Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina - Meredith is a big strong guy who is athletic enough that he could swing to guard if we needed him to. He comes from a program where I think his experiences in college could fair well in the WCO. He could easily be a second rounder come next year but I think right now hes probably slated as a late second to mid third type of guy.

Round 4: Vance Walker, DT, Georgia Tech - Another guy that could go earlier and if we took him in Round 3 I wouldn't argue but he very well could be available in the 4th too. A fast penetrating style DT that could take over Griffins spot down the road.

Round 5: Brett Helms, C, LSU - Rabach is decent but I'm not in love with him anymore at center and just like most of our starters he is on the wrong side of 30.

FA:

Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
    - Young, talented, consistent outside linebacker who can come in right away and start.
    Last edited by DiG; 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM.

great breakdown!

I am going out on a limb and going to say Campbell is not the franchise QB we need. Ive supported him for so long but last night he looked like he regressed so much. Its not a matter getting fitted in an offense, its the fact that he cant read defenses, he locks onto WRs, he shows no emotional leadership, he plays scared.

This draft/offseason should be D oriented. Our CBs need a make over. Landry is a pure beast. I hope Moore can take over Reed's spot. Jenkins is an amazing pick. I think him or Davis need to be our first round pick. After that it should be all OL, LB and DL. Im so unimpressed by our CBs that I would blow up what we have now and make a push to make them elite. Id draft Davis or Jenkins and still go after Asomugha in the offseason. Springs is too old. Move him to S would fit us better. Rogers is just not doing it. He makes ONE of those picks last night and it changes the game. Smoot is at best a nickel. I love the guy but he was abused all night long. Asomugha, Jenkins, Springs/Moore and Landry with Rogers in the nickle and Smoot at the dime would give us a GREAT secondary. Also we need a FA LB too. Dansby would be a good pickup!

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
    2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Comment

If the playcalling keeps up from last night, I don't know if I can take another year or two of Zorn.

But I still believe in Campbell a lot more than Colt now and years from now, sure Colt was a nice story in preseason and he's so darn likeable I just don't see him as the future quarterback of any team. And I've said from the start that I am not a Malcolm Kelly fan at all, but hopefully he can make me a believer. I do think our most pressing issue is in the trenches, our offensive line looked awful last night and our d-line put good pressure on but could not stop the Giants run. Our second biggest concern should be the secondary; Springs is probably gone in a year or two, Smoot just looked dreadful, and I've never been high on Carlos and he proved me right again last night. Though Landry is arguably the best player on this team they need to let him loose more he should be used more like a Sean Taylor.

As with the free agency situation, I don't see Dansby coming in cheap and with the cap situation we always seem to find ourselves in it will be hard to get the impact player this team needs. I really think as long as Snyder is owning this team we'll never get any type of consistency going with a team and he'll only bring in the flashy guys for the team rather than team-oriented players who actually fit what the team needs and he'll only bring in coaches he knows he can manipulate to do things the way he and Vinny want (don't even get me started on Cerrato).

But hopefully I'm wrong about everything stated above, but anyway that looks like a solid draft for us.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Moss has a perfect role in WCO, he would be great in slot, but you just need to get a WR on the outside that gets double teamed. El can be that WR on the outside, if he prefects his route running then, it would help by lining up in 3 WR sets. Moss can always then work out of the Slot, he won't be effect IMO on the outside as a small fast WR in WCO.

Comment

I don't know what to say about Campbell. I really like him and I think he's got tons of talent and potential. You guys need to give him more help, especially on the OL. You've got some good RB guys(especially Portis, he's nasty) and the young recievers you brought in this years draft. Having like a million OC's in his college and NFL career DOES affect you, I don't care what people say
          We ALL bleed scarlet
          New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
          UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
          Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
          BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Campbell has regressed no 2 ways about it. He hasn't looked as decent as last year he looks worse. Unless he really shows something the first half of the season i think his days should be numbered

2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Comment

This is not the year to start re-building,we are up against it cap wise(springs/portis/jansen/griffin/moss/washington all counting for a chunk of change) AND little in the way of draft picks(1st/3rd/5th/6th).

Trouble is, i dont think Zorn has got what he needs for his w.c.o.-campbell/moss/cooley(they kept him for blocking??).

I would prefer a lineman taken first, either a Tackle or Def.Tackle(griffs replacement) or Def End(daniels replacement=move jason taylor around more).
              Springs will be too expensive to cut and replace with a vet or rookie.
              Sadly i think the skins are heading for a top 10 pick which SHOULD mean taking best player available or making a blockbuster trade down.

Comment

I would be all for trading down. Just like last season. I also wouldn't be against trading Moss and/or Randle El. Call me crazy but aside from Kelly and Thomas who have shown nothing yet, I don't like our WRs at all. I love Moss for his miracle season in 05 but realistically he is not a #1 WR. He would be more suited as a #2 or #3. Same with Randle El. I would be all for trading back further down in the first and taking BPA. Even if it is someone like DHB. I like him very much and he has the speed near Santana plus height. I dont think we will take him though but if we don't trade down then I want that pick to be Vontae Davis. He is exactly what we need. He is has the ability to be a shutdown corner. Springs is too old and always banged up. Moving him to S would be the best option. Also we need LB DT and OL as well.

Comment

I think what will shape our 2009 off-season is the decision to keep/cut 4 players.
                  1. Pete Kendall - his contract is up and he is 35. Rinehart can probably take his spot
                  2. Marcus Washington - he is over 30, expensive, always nicked and a shadow of his 2004/05 self.
                  3. Shawn Springs - he is still effective when he plays but he has similar issues to Marcus.
                  4. Cornelius Griffin - clearly slowing down but does have his moments. Similar to Springs & Washington.

Iím not sure if Jason Taylor will come back for the last year of his contract but Iíll assume he does and the Skins get rid of all 4 of the above. Therefore I see our needs (in no particular order) as DT, OLB, CB, Oline depth. Iím not sure what our cap situation would be like but I donít think we can satisfy all our needs in the draft, we will need to sign 1 FA.

If I were GM of the Skins this is what I would do:
                  FA - sign OLB Karlos Dansby (Arizona)
                  Other options - Angelo Crowell (Buffalo), Channing Crowder (Miami)
                  I think we can sign Dansby to a contract similar to what Briggs got from Chicago. I prefer Dansby because he is younger than Crowell (Crowell was also IRíed this year) and a better fit than Crowder who has been an ILB in a 3-4 scheme.

We could go after one of the FA corners this year. Asomugha is going get Clements like coin that we canít afford but maybe Chris Gamble (Carolina) or Bryant McFadden (Pitt) might be a more reasonable option. Iíll stick with just OLB for now.

Draft:
                  Trade down from #28 to #46 (for example) and pick up an extra 3rd and a 6th. My first 3 picks would look something like the following:

1st pick (R2) - Evander Hood DT Missouri (6-4, 295#) a hard worker with good measurables.

2nd pick (R3) - Brandon Underwood CB Cincinnati (6-1, 190#, 4.4 40) a boom/bust pick. Has good size and measurables but a little like Devin Thomas as a one year wonder.

3rd pick (R3) - best LT available - Samuels has performed at a high level but he is getting older so itís time to groom a replacement for a couple of years.

4th pick (R5) - best KR/PR available - either a WR or CB that will primarily be used as a KR/PR (a la Devin Hester). Rock has been decent on KR but our PR has been poor. I would love to get Brandon Tate from North Carolina but I doubt he lasts until round 5.

5th pick (R6) - interior Oline depth.

6th pick (R6) - a big bruiser RB for short yardage and late game pound the ball drives.

Sean Taylor - You'll always be missed but never forgotten

Comment

Of the 4 FA's that you mentioned I would resign Marcus Washington. He would be a great asset for depth. He has lost a step but he is a huge locker room presence and we are winning now with him. He would have to take a pay cut as well. Springs would be gone. He is still great when healthy but the key word is "when". IF he would take a pay cut I would keep him because he could be depth at CB and S. Kendall would be gone if it was up to me. Rinehart would be a great replacement and we still have Devin Clark and Kerry Brown for young depth. I have a great feeling about Brown. I would bring back Griff. If he was used in a rotation he would be healthier more and be a better asset.

As far as FA's that are gonna hit the market there is only one name I would go after and go after HARD. Nnamdi Asomough. Sign him up and call it a day. Thats all the FA spending I would do. Unless there is some small priced FA we can get that would help our team.

In the draft I would try to trade back once again like this year to get some of those picks back. If we stay where we are I would go with the best OLB/DE/OL available in the first round.

DE: Greg Hardy - Ole Miss, Brian Orakpo - Texas, George Selvie - South Florida, Tyson Jackson - LSU
                    OLB: Brian Cushing - USC, Aaron Curry - Wake Forest
                    OL: Phil Loadholt - Oklahoma, Duke Robinson - Oklahoma, Jamon Meredith - South Carolina

In round 3 id go for the best DE/DT/OL/OLB around which wasn't taken in round one.

By the end of the day we need an OLB, DE, DT, and OL depth

Comment

1)Kendall-i think he is having a great year,if he stays healthy i would bring him back on a 2 year deal at a decent cost.
                      He could fight it out with Rinehart for left guard or back up Thomas at right guard.(shame he doesn't like playing center).

2)Marcus-never fully fit and lost a step, i think the skins should bring in a free agent linebacker to go with h.Blades.Sorry M.W.

3)Springs-at $8.4 mill should be gone for 2009 but unless they nab a good corner off the free agent list(one they can afford)he'll be here because Smoot should not be the long term starter and i cannot see Blache wanting a rookie.

4)Griffin-counts $6 mill then $5.8.I think they keep him 1 more year then cut him.I would not extend his contract to bring his cap number down.
                      One thing i think the skins WILL do is bring back phil Daniels, if fully healed,to play mostly def. tackle,if they can agree terms.
                      (yeah i know most of you wont like this move)

2009 draft=do not trade down because so far our 3 second rounders have yet to deliver and they are all on 4 year contracts.
                      Sam Baker who the falcons traded up for looks a far better player.
                      Take the best player available who is a lineman or linebacker or c.b.
                      Third round go lineman again.

Antwan Randel-El, he is not productive for a number 2 wideout is he?
                      Have you seen his cap numbers-$6mill and $5 mill for the next few years.
                      What will the skins do, overpay to keep him, redo his deal or will he be a surprise cut in the next couple of years?

Comment

3)Unless Hall stinks it up then Springs and his cap hit will be gone in 2009.
                        Will make the 2009 draft picture a little clearer.

Comment

With the addition of Hall id rather go full speed ahead for Albert Haynesworth this offseason.

Comment

alex mack has got to be the pick. unless hardy or orakpo fall to us which i dont see happening. i can understand the argument to go after a penetrating dt like jerry too but id put him just below mack.

Comment

Originally posted by toddmlazarchick View Post
                              With the addition of Hall id rather go full speed ahead for Albert Haynesworth this offseason.

hall does not play like he used too.. so if anything the skins can just pick up a 2nd or 3rd round dback like mike mickens from cincy or maybe kevin barnes from UMD
                              Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
                              Coples is that dude.
                              Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information