Official 2010 Redskins Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second part of the article:

Coach Mike Shanahan and GM Bruce Allen are part of a team that is scheduled to visit with Tim Tebow in Gainesville, presumably to decide whether they want to pick him in April's draft (possibly in the second round) in the event they draft neither Bradford nor Clausen.

Comment

• I wouldn't be upset if we went Okung in R1 and Tebow R2. It seems Tebow is progressing well on his new mechanics and you just cant deny his work ethic and leadership. I honestly can't see him failing as an NFL QB.
      Last edited by toddmlazarchick; 03-22-2010, 12:12 PM.

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
      2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Comment

• some shanahan comments from today:

Clinton Portis will have to be in great shape. Shanahan wants him lighter. Listed at 221 last year, Shanahan hopes he reports closer to 210 26 minutes ago via web

--------------------------------------------------------

Rick Maese RickMaese

Shanahan "totally disagrees" with Haynesworth's decision to pass on offseason conditioning program but respects that Haynesworth came to him 25 minutes ago via web

--------------------------------------------------------

RickMaese

Shanahan liked what he saw of Tebow on Saturday but plans to watch top four QB prospects in-person before draft 24 minutes ago via web

Comment

• Shanahan on Tebow:

"I like everything about him," Shanahan said. "If you can't root for a guy like Tebow, man, you don't like your [own] kids."

Shanahan visited the Gainesville, Fla., campus on Saturday, along with Washington general manager Bruce Allen and Scott Campbell, the team's director of player personnel.

"Here's a guy to me that brings everything to the table. He'll interview with 30 people, work out for everybody [and] when you're with him, he's just an off-the-chart guy," Shanahan said. "Those guys don't come around all the time. Especially with the success that he's had."

"I just think he's something that's very special," he added.

Obviously, the knock against Tebow will continue to be his mechanics and throwing accuracy. His footwork certainly isn't blowing away NFL coaches, but Shanahan says what he saw on Saturday was a noticeable improvement from what Tebow showed scouts and coaches at the Senior Bowl in January.

"I think what everybody was looking at from the Senior Bowl was where he dropped the ball below his waist," Shanahan said. "I think he's doing a great job keeping the ball up high, and I think everybody saw that at his workout."

Tebow isn't a guy the Redskins are going to use their first-round pick on. And because they don't have a third-round pick, if they're serious about Tebow, it'd seem the only option is their second-round pick. And the question next month will be which team and which coach feels Tebow's intangibles -- coachability, work ethic and passion for the game -- outweigh his skillset.

Shanahan brought up another one-time draft prospect who was similarly dogged before the draft for having poor mechanics.

"When Phillip Rivers came out, everybody said he didn't have the perfect throwing motion, the perfect release. At least in my opinion, [Rivers'] is one of the best in the business; he's in the top three or four," he said. "Sometimes you've got to be able to play the game. You can dissect everybody's game, but the bottom line is how he plays and how he gets it done."

"You just never know," he added.

Comment

• Interesting read:
            http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...rterbacks.html

Code:
            Player        Cmp.      Att.      Pct.       Yards      YPA       TD     INT      Rating*
            Player A      851      1354      62.85      11,201      8.27      90      33      100.93
            Player B      825      1232      66.96       8,772      7.12      76      37       95.60
            Player C      841      1383      60.81      10,286      7.44      84      36       93.15
            Player D      493       797      61.86       6,625      8.31      52      21       99.04
            Player E      564       986      57.20       7,731      7.84      51      33       85.72
            Player F      661       985      67.11       9,286      9.43      88      15      120.72

Player A is Peyton Manning. He played for Tennessee in the SEC and was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1998 draft.

Player B is Tim Couch. He played for Kentucky in the SEC and was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1999 draft.

Player C is Eli Manning. He played for Ole Miss in the SEC and was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2004 draft.

Player D is JaMarcus Russell. He played for LSU in the SEC and was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft.

Player E is Matt Stafford. He played for Georgia in the SEC and was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft.

And, finally, Player F is Tim Tebow who played for Florida in the SEC.

Comment

• I'm curious to see what peoples reply are to what todd said above. What happens if the draft go's Bradford/Okung/McCoy, first thing that pops into my mind is trade down...try to recoup your 2nd rounder somehow. But I'm not sure I see the team that would pull the trigger. Do you draft Suh in that scenario and hope to land a OT on the 2nd day? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                I'm curious to see what peoples reply are to what todd said above. What happens if the draft go's Bradford/Okung/McCoy, first thing that pops into my mind is trade down...try to recoup your 2nd rounder somehow. But I'm not sure I see the team that would pull the trigger. Do you draft Suh in that scenario and hope to land a OT on the 2nd day? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
                First option is going to be trade down like you said and I think that Cleveland, Oakland, and Buffalo would all be interested in moving up for Suh, especially since it probably wouldnt cost a fortune.

Second option is my favorite; Take Suh at 4, Trade a future 1st to move into the late first range and take Charles Brown or Rodger Saffold who are both great fits in shannys zbs. Every year a team or two trades a future 1st in a similar scenario and given the obvious intent of Shanahan to try and win now, this makes sense.

Third option is to pass on Suh and draft Bulaga. For whatever reason, my gut tells me this would be the last option.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                  I'm curious to see what peoples reply are to what todd said above. What happens if the draft go's Bradford/Okung/McCoy, first thing that pops into my mind is trade down...try to recoup your 2nd rounder somehow. But I'm not sure I see the team that would pull the trigger. Do you draft Suh in that scenario and hope to land a OT on the 2nd day? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
                  Simple. Draft the best player in the draft...Suh. And enjoy a top 5 defense for years to come

Comment

• Great 5th round pick in Dennis Morris. I taught Dennis in the 8th grade and he is an excellent individual with a great character. I'm so proud of him.
                    Good Luck D-Mo.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                      Great 5th round pick in Dennis Morris. I taught Dennis in the 8th grade and he is an excellent individual with a great character. I'm so proud of him.
                      Good Luck D-Mo.
                      He's a PS player. No chance he makes the roster. Cooley and Davis will fight for playing time and Sean Ryan is the blocking TE.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                      Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                        He's a PS player. No chance he makes the roster. Cooley and Davis will fight for playing time and Sean Ryan is the blocking TE.

If keeps blocksing like this... i dunno. I read on sportsline they're projecting him as a FB.
                        Last edited by McBain; 04-24-2010, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LARor...eature=related

im envious. FB seems right for him in a zoneblocking system

Comment

• Originally posted by McBain View Post

If blocks like this... i dunno. I read on sportsline they're projecting him as a FB.
                            We already wasted a pick on Eddie Williams last year, he's gone too.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                              We already wasted a pick on Eddie Williams last year, he's gone too.
                              Lots of late round picks don't make it. What makes you so sure one of your boys would have been so much better?

Comment

• Because it's not a need.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information