No announcement yet.

Official 2010 Redskins Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any FA QB's this year capable of starting for a year or two?

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
    Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
      Any FA QB's this year capable of starting for a year or two?
      The top 3 are looking like Campbell, Orton and Pennington. A lot will depend on what coach comes in what scheme we ultimately end up running. Campbell has had his shot here and I dont think the fans will support him as our QB again next year, he's a great guy but I think we have seen most of his potential. If Orton takes the Broncos to the playoffs which seems very likely at this point I don't know why Denver wouldn't resign him since he is only 26 and a proven winner. Pennington is a possibility but he has minimal arm strength and has proven to be very injury prone in his career especially as of late. Pretty much, I think were screwed. I would love to get a top tier OT but knowing Snyder he wont enter the season with a QB that doesn't sell seats. Here is a list of dregs that we could also potentially sign as a stopgap until we find a franchise qb:
      Charlie Batch, Pittsburgh Steelers (34)
      Kyle Boller, St. Louis Rams (28)
      David Carr, New York Giants (30)
      Kellen Clemens, New York Jets (26)
      Daunte Culpepper, Detroit Lions (32)
      Jeff Garcia, Oakland Raiders (39)
      Rex Grossman, Houston Texans (29)
      Joey Harrington, New Orleans Saints (30)
      Tarvaris Jackson, Minnesota Vikings (26)
      Jon Kitna, Dallas Cowboys (36)
      Matt Moore, Carolina Panthers (25) Restricted FA
      Patrick Ramsey, Tennessee Titans (30)
      Brett Ratliff, Cleveland Browns (24) Exclusive Rights FA
      Troy Smith, Baltimore Ravens (25) Restricted FA

The only one that I might be ok with is Kellen Clemens. All the others are basically career backups and really old. I just can't see us not going after a Bradford, Clausen or McCoy type name in this draft, no matter what it costs Snyder. Like I said I would personally love to draft a future LT but if we are to go after QB sign me up for Jake Locker.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
      12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

lets get cleo lemon

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

chad pennington ftw! im dead serious. he doesnt have arm strength but he is a west coast guy, makes quick decisions, and gets rid of the ball fast. im all for taking tackles in the first and second round this year. let a guy like pennington compete with colt. if we dont rebuild this offensive line than no one will be able to play quarterback behind it. i dont want to trade portis but i am all for drafting another back in the 2nd or 4th round. cut ties with betts and rock and bring in someone that can be a playmaker. in the 4th and later rounds im a big fan of james starks. starks is missing this entire season for buffalo with a shoulder injury and could be a real steal. he was an absolute beast the past few years putting up 3,140 yards and 34 tds in his career at Buffalo. He'll be back for the combine and supposed runs in 4.45 range.

Unfortunately there arent a lot of speed backs this year in the mid rounds. Michael Smith from Arkansas is one. Hes very fast but like Devine has a really small frame. Chris Brown from Oklahoma is another guy that is intriguing. He might not be around in the 4th but the 2nd might be a bit early for him. Kendall Hunter returns this week from injury. If he can put together a good second half of the year at Oklahoma State than he might be a guy really worth looking into also but as a junior and with his injury im guessing he will go back for his senior year.

Maybe something like this:

RD 1 - Okung, LT, Oklahoma State
          RD 2 - Charles Brown, OT, USC / Selvish Capers, OT, WVU
          RD 4 - Thomas Austin, OG, Clemson
          RD 5 - James Starks, RB, Buffalo

or

RD 1 - Okung, LT, Okl State
          RD 2- Noel Devine, RB, WVU
          RD 4 - Kyle Calloway, OT, Iowa
          RD 5 - Eric Olsen, C, Notre Dame
          Last edited by DiG; 10-14-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Colt can be the QB next year as long as we draft some protection for him...thats fine with me

If we continue to have a crap O-line than just put Pennington in there for a year to take the pounding.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 Live Crew View Post
              Colt can be the QB next year as long as we draft some protection for him...thats fine with me
              thats what im sayin. draft 3 olineman early and another rb and colt gets one chance and one chance only to make something. sink or swim. otherwise we draft Ryan Mallett or Blaine Gabbert in 2011.

Comment

This is where we part company. Starting Colt in 2010 will be an unmitigated disaster, IMO. We will be guaranteed a top 5 pick. I could handle Pennington for a year and draft Jarrett Brown in the 2nd round and develop him. I'd even favor trading down in the 1st (pick up a 3rd) and draft OTs with our 1st & 3rd round picks. We'd still need a RB and OLB, IMO (I am hoping the next regime puts Orakpo at DE full time and ends this idiotic SLB experiment).
                Sean Taylor - You'll always be missed but never forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian_draft_fan View Post
                  This is where we part company. Starting Colt in 2010 will be an unmitigated disaster, IMO. We will be guaranteed a top 5 pick. I could handle Pennington for a year and draft Jarrett Brown in the 2nd round and develop him. I'd even favor trading down in the 1st (pick up a 3rd) and draft OTs with our 1st & 3rd round picks. We'd still need a RB and OLB, IMO (I am hoping the next regime puts Orakpo at DE full time and ends this idiotic SLB experiment).
                  im by no means handing over the starting job to Colt but at this point we have to rehaul the oline. we can try in FA to bring in someone but there isnt a lot out there and no one is going to want to come here. We bring in Pennington and we let him and Colt compete. Most likely Pennington either gets hurt or by mid season Colt gets his shot. And if starting Colt turns into a disaster than we are in a position to draft a fanchise qb and hopefully be able to put him in behind a young promising oline. Theres a good chance Samuels career is over and we cannot afford to start a rookie qb behind d'anthony batiste, dockery, rabach, mike williams, and heyer...he will fail before he starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
                    im by no means handing over the starting job to Colt but at this point we have to rehaul the oline. we can try in FA to bring in someone but there isnt a lot out there and no one is going to want to come here. We bring in Pennington and we let him and Colt compete. Most likely Pennington either gets hurt or by mid season Colt gets his shot. And if starting Colt turns into a disaster than we are in a position to draft a fanchise qb and hopefully be able to put him in behind a young promising oline. Theres a good chance Samuels career is over and we cannot afford to start a rookie qb behind d'anthony batiste, dockery, rabach, mike williams, and heyer...he will fail before he starts.
                    No argument here - we have to improve the Oline if this franchise has any chance of progressing. Drafting 2 OTs with early picks would suit me fine (as would drafting an OG with a later pick). I'd favor tading down with our 1st rounder to get more picks because God knows Danny & vinny have left the cupboard bare as far as depth is concerned.

Comment

Agree with DT...its not that I'd be thrilled about starting Colt next year, its just that the other options are pretty slim. The FA QB's are pretty bland...no one of any significance there, and we already know what all of them are.

We haven't seen Colt play at all in the regular season so we're not totally sure what we have here. He could be a star in the making...you never know with these things. Then again he could be nothing...I'd like to find out either way.

But since Vinny has epically failed at building an O-line its gonna be tough for any young QB back there.

Comment

Agree with DT...its not that I'd be thrilled about starting Colt next year, its just that the other options are pretty slim. The FA QB's are pretty bland...no one of any significance there, and we already know what all of them are.

We haven't seen Colt play at all in the regular season so we're not totally sure what we have here. He could be a star in the making...you never know with these things. Then again he could be nothing...I'd like to find out either way.

But since Vinny has epically failed at building an O-line its gonna be tough for any young QB back there.
                        Fine, but remember that Colt is a Zorn pick. A new regime will have no allegiance to him. I think he will have to have a GREAT camp/preseason to even make the roster much less start, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian_draft_fan View Post
                          Fine, but remember that Colt is a Zorn pick. A new regime will have no allegiance to him. I think he will have to have a GREAT camp/preseason to even make the roster much less start, IMO.
                          Can't argue that but at the same time you look at the other FA qbs and theres no better option out there. Gruden, Holmgren, and Shanahan are all WCO guys so should any of them take over than Colts still got as good a shot as anyone.

I remember word around draft time was shanahan liked Colt but already had Cutler and Colt just feels like someone Gruden would love to groom.
                          Last edited by DiG; 10-14-2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

new chris paul song is hard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNK47XFQEjM

Comment

Again there is no way in hell Snyder considers giving Colt a try especially if Zorn is gone, Colt doesn't even have a secure roster spot. We are going to draft a first round QB or trade for one, guaranteed. Wouldn't surprise me if we got involved in some Brady Quinn talks.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                                Wouldn't surprise me if we got involved in some Brady Quinn talks.
                                i do honestly think quinn will be a skin by weeks end. still not sure how i feel about it. but well see.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information