JBond's Weekly Fantasy Football Symposium: Week 1 ADP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBond's Weekly Fantasy Football Symposium: Week 1 ADP

Every week until September I'll be bringing you a weekly article I write about fantasy football. The topics will range from beginner to expert in terms of quality. I'll do articles about things to help you draft, trade, show you mock drafts, rankings, as well as some things to look for during drafts and throughout the year:

Week 1: ADP

A few of you may know LONG before I was into the draft, fantasy football was my love. This will actually be my 14th year playing in a fantasy football league and I used to be even more hardcore into FF than anything else. In fact, my forum of choice was www.fanball.com and that is where I met Creek, who introduced me to NFLDC. I now run a $50 keeper league, an ultra dynasty league, and I join many every year. I consider myself VERY knowledgeable in fantasy football.

All of us know the NFL draft here and know that teams have to balance value with need. Likewise, we know that teams that have better value on draft day generally come out with the better draft as a whole. A fantasy draft is no different. You want to know the value of the players going in and where they are likely to go in your draft. You figure this out by something called ADP: Average Draft Position.

The Average Draft position should be your bible going into any fantasy draft. There are numerous sites to get various ADP charts, but my favorite free one is: http://www.AntSports.com/adp.aspx. Though not much to see yet, when we get into draft time, it will show you the average round and pick # for every pick. You can also set some options to get close to your scoring system and line-up.

Take a look at this example of an ADP chart from last year: http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2007/adp

You can basically take a look at where your picks will stack up against the ADP, then when the time comes you can see who you want and who may fall to you with your next pick. Continue using this throughout the draft. If you want RBs early, but the value isn't good, don't hesitate to take another position! If you follow the ADP chart, you should come out with a pretty spanking team that will give you plenty of trade bait if there are guys YOU don't like.

ADP may seem like a simple procedure, but many people will:

1. Reach for players on their favorite teams

2. Reach for rookies or younger players who may not produce right away.

3. Reach for guys who had big seasons last year/big name recognition who may not perform.

Keep ADP in your back-pocket, don't be that guy, and make trades later if there are guys you want.

Finally, if you are using Yahoo or a similar Live draft, get into the lobby early and see where Yahoo ranks guys. If there are players who are too low on their rankings but higher on your ADP, circle them or mark them down to remember. Maybe you can get them a little lower than their ADP depending on their draft position. Keep an eye out for any steals, and don't be afraid to take some players for value over need!

As always, feel free to reply with questions, comments, etc. I'll try to answer anything. Also, if you'd like to submit any questions for a short FAQ after next week's article, feel free to e-mail them to hallam.14@osu.edu!
    Last edited by Shane P. Hallam; 05-02-2008, 01:25 AM.

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
    I consider myself VERY knowledgeable in fantasy football.
    And you are so modest too :) .

Otherwise it was a good read. I'm a pretty big FF guy too and have been competing in leagues for a while. Not as long as you, but still long enough that I consider myself relatively knowledgeable. If you start an NFLDC league, I'm in for shizzle.

Comment

Very nice writeup JBond. I look forward to reading this in the future.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

Comment

Fantasy Football is my third love; behind the Draft and Walter Herrmann.

Comment

Great write up, and you are correct sir about reaching for favorite players, because everyone in my leagues know I will KILL if I don't get Marion Barber on my team, last year I took him in rd 2 which was considered a reach, now that he is the sure-fire goal line back I would have to have a top 2-3 pick to pass him up now.

I'll be looking forward to these though, fantasy football is my crack addiction :(

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

so I assume you'd criticize me for taking Brian Leonard round one last year?
            We ALL bleed scarlet
            New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
            UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
            Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
            BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

This year im playing for money so i expect to win big, your advice should help Jbond

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Nice read, I don't play overly seriously, but it's always nice to get some help, I started 0-6 last year haha.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

Can u actually play a keeper league without paying?

Comment

Originally posted by Renji View Post
                    Can u actually play a keeper league without paying?
                    You can do a free keeper league with ESPN. It is a ton of fun with active participants.

Comment

i wanna do one :(

Comment

Originally posted by Renji View Post
                        i wanna do one :(
                        Make one then! I'll join.

Comment

Same here.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                            You can do a free keeper league with ESPN. It is a ton of fun with active participants.
                            We should get people on NFLDC to do one

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                              Great write up, and you are correct sir about reaching for favorite players, because everyone in my leagues know I will KILL if I don't get Marion Barber on my team, last year I took him in rd 2 which was considered a reach, now that he is the sure-fire goal line back I would have to have a top 2-3 pick to pass him up now.

I'll be looking forward to these though, fantasy football is my crack addiction :(
                              I always reach for favorite players! Reggie Bush round one last year lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information