Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantasy Football Keepers Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fantasy Football Keepers Thread

    Post your decisions and choices. Always a good source of discussion.

    I have a tough one in my league, I have a choice of Matt Ryan and Kevin Kolb, both with a 12th round value. I love Ryan, but our scoring system emphasizes big yardage games (5 point bonus for 300+ yards) and I think that favors Kolb's style. He has less experience, but has a better set-up for fantasy goodness.


  • #2
    I have a trade offer... 16 team keeper, idps, ppr - 5 off keepers, 5 def keepers

    offensive lineup looks like: qb, rb, rb/wr, wr, wr, te, op

    here's the offer:

    I send
    - Ronnie Brown
    - 2nd pick overall in draft
    - 15th pick of 6th round

    I get
    - Percy Harvin
    - A LB upgrade
    - 12th pick overall in draft
    - 5th pick of 6th round

    Current keepers:
    - Matt Schaub
    - Jay Cutler
    - Joseph Addai
    - Hakeem Nicks
    - Ronnie Brown/Chris Wells

    qb's are vital to success, and get massive bonuses for big games

    Comment


    • #3
      Depends on who you think you can get at #2. If most, if not all, of the good players are gone I would jump on that deal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Shiver View Post
        Post your decisions and choices. Always a good source of discussion.

        I have a tough one in my league, I have a choice of Matt Ryan and Kevin Kolb, both with a 12th round value. I love Ryan, but our scoring system emphasizes big yardage games (5 point bonus for 300+ yards) and I think that favors Kolb's style. He has less experience, but has a better set-up for fantasy goodness.
        I'd go with Kolb.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Shiver View Post
          Depends on who you think you can get at #2. If most, if not all, of the good players are gone I would jump on that deal.
          Last year's 1st round in our league:
          193 Ray Rice, Bal RB Pittsburgh Steelers
          194 Thomas Jones, NYJ RB Oakland Raiders
          195 Matt Hasselbeck, Sea QB Tampa Bay Buccaneers
          196 Beanie Wells, Ari RB Seattle Seahawks
          197 Knowshon Moreno, Den RB Dallas Cowboys
          198 Eli Manning, NYG QB Indianapolis Colts
          199 LeSean McCoy, Phi RB Tennessee Titans
          200 Felix Jones, Dal RB Cleveland Browns
          201 Lee Evans, Buf WR Buffalo Bills
          202 Joe Flacco, Bal QB Minnesota Vikings
          203 Vincent Jackson, SD WR Houston Texans
          204 Donald Brown, Ind RB Houston Texans
          205 Lance Moore, NO WR Carolina Panthers
          206 Bernard Berrian, Min WR Cincinnati Bengals
          207 Larry Johnson, Cin RB Chicago Bears
          208 Dallas Clark, Ind TE New England Patriots

          Last year's 6th round in our league:
          273 Chris Chambers, KC WR New England Patriots
          274 Kory Sheets, Mia RB Chicago Bears
          275 Charles Tillman, Chi CB Cincinnati Bengals
          276 Bo Scaife, Ten TE Carolina Panthers
          277 Marc Bulger, StL QB Houston Texans
          278 Vernon Davis, SF TE Philadelphia Eagles
          279 Stephen Cooper, SD LB Minnesota Vikings
          280 Bob Sanders, Ind S Buffalo Bills
          281 Jerious Norwood, Atl RB Tampa Bay Buccaneers
          282 Kyle Vanden Bosch, Ten DE Tennessee Titans
          283 Ricky Williams, Mia RB Indianapolis Colts
          284 Willis McGahee, Bal RB Dallas Cowboys
          285 Aaron Curry, Sea LB Seattle Seahawks
          286 Justin Gage, Ten WR Cleveland Browns
          287 Yeremiah Bell, Mia S Oakland Raiders
          288 Kevin Curtis, Phi WR Pittsburgh Steelers

          Looking at the 1st, some of the better picks came in the latter half. I find myself reaching for rookies when I pick high (see: Chris Wells last year), so I think I'll go ahead an pull the trigger.

          Comment


          • #6
            I figured I'd post this here first to gauge interest, though it may be a bit early...

            I was thinking of starting up a league for next season, and making it actually like an NFL fantasy league. It would be primarily run outside of whatever site the games are played out on, and I'll explain why.

            The inaugural draft would be an auction draft, and each team would start out with X amount of dollars. I'm thinking 12-16 teams. Anyway, that X amount would be your salary cap for the first year, and all trades/waiver pick ups would have to fit in with the cap. Cuts would be made without penalty and that player's "salary" would be taken off of your budget. Waiver pickups would be processed each week, with each player going to the highest bidder.

            The league would be a dynasty league (keep players you want, cut ones you don't) with a rookie draft. Before the draft however, would be "free agency" in which teams can drop players to make room for rookies (who would have base salaries based on pick, instead of an auction draft). In free agency, players would again go to the highest bidder.

            Since it's a dynasty league, the problem of a team being stacked with young talent might arise, and they could win the championship every year. However, I was thinking there could be some sort of system that makes the budget of the winningest teams more tight, and gives the worst teams more flexibility.

            It's really all just floating around in my hear right now, but if anyone is interested and would be willing to help run and clean up the idea with me, then just let me know.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Shiver View Post
              I have a tough one in my league, I have a choice of Matt Ryan and Kevin Kolb, both with a 12th round value. I love Ryan, but our scoring system emphasizes big yardage games (5 point bonus for 300+ yards) and I think that favors Kolb's style. He has less experience, but has a better set-up for fantasy goodness.
              Kolb is definitely the high risk, high reward guy of the two. Turner is a beast and will carry the Falcons; whereas Andy Reid doesn't know the meaning of the word run. Then again, the Falcons schedule is much nicer than the Eagles.

              I'd say you need to look closely at your overall keepers and decide what kind of risk you want to take. If you've got some stud keepers and can afford to take the risk on one, go with Kolb.


              Originally posted by sbh15 View Post
              I have a trade offer... 16 team keeper, idps, ppr - 5 off keepers, 5 def keepers

              offensive lineup looks like: qb, rb, rb/wr, wr, wr, te, op

              here's the offer:

              I send
              - Ronnie Brown
              - 2nd pick overall in draft
              - 15th pick of 6th round

              I get
              - Percy Harvin
              - A LB upgrade
              - 12th pick overall in draft
              - 5th pick of 6th round

              Current keepers:
              - Matt Schaub
              - Jay Cutler
              - Joseph Addai
              - Hakeem Nicks
              - Ronnie Brown/Chris Wells

              qb's are vital to success, and get massive bonuses for big games
              If it gives you an upgraded defensive keeper then I like it. Most likely the draft picks are useless with a 16 team league keeping 5 / 5 each. That's a shallow pool of talent and the difference between 2 and 12 is pretty minimal. But you definitely need to assess who you think the keepers will be to make sure you won't miss on a stud at 2 b/c you're not going to have a shot at a stud at 12.

              Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

              Comment


              • #8
                I'll have a tough choice with my 3rd keeper this year. I can keep 3 total and players can be kept for 3 years max; moving up 2 rounds from the previous year's draft position. I have 2 locks - Aaron Rodgers in round 12 (second year as a keeper) and Shonne Green in round 13 (drafted in the 15th last year.)

                My other options are plentiful but difficult . . . and it may just be too early to determine who will have an impact. Listed based on the round I would keep them:

                Wes Welker - round 6 (final year of eligibility)
                Antonio Bryant - round 9 (first year of eligibility)
                Robert Meachem - round 10 (first year - undrafted)
                Austin Collie - round 10 (first year - undrafted)
                Chester Taylor - round 11 (first year of eligibility)
                Joe Flacco - round 14 (first year of eligibility)
                Jamaal Charles - round 15 (first year of eligibility)


                Initially I though I had an easy choice with Rodgers, Green and Charles. But then KC added Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster to cause a great big McClusterfuck for me.

                Welker is the guy I want to keep but his injury status and final year of keeper eligibility really reduce his value. Right now I'm leaning towards Meachem or Collie with the nod going to whichever seems to carve out the biggest role with their team through the summer.

                Thoughts on the 3rd spot?

                Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

                Comment


                • #9
                  Actually, the player pool is always pretty solid for the first two rounds, and I just traded Chris Wells for the 6th pick in the 2nd round, a guy I wasn't going to keep.

                  I did the trade, though, and I'm pretty happy with my draft setup thus far. I have the 12th pick of the 1st, 2nd pick of the 2nd, 6th pick of the 2nd, and 15th pick of the 2nd.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                    I'll have a tough choice with my 3rd keeper this year. I can keep 3 total and players can be kept for 3 years max; moving up 2 rounds from the previous year's draft position. I have 2 locks - Aaron Rodgers in round 12 (second year as a keeper) and Shonne Green in round 13 (drafted in the 15th last year.)

                    My other options are plentiful but difficult . . . and it may just be too early to determine who will have an impact. Listed based on the round I would keep them:

                    Wes Welker - round 6 (final year of eligibility)
                    Antonio Bryant - round 9 (first year of eligibility)
                    Robert Meachem - round 10 (first year - undrafted)
                    Austin Collie - round 10 (first year - undrafted)
                    Chester Taylor - round 11 (first year of eligibility)
                    Joe Flacco - round 14 (first year of eligibility)
                    Jamaal Charles - round 15 (first year of eligibility)


                    Initially I though I had an easy choice with Rodgers, Green and Charles. But then KC added Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster to cause a great big McClusterfuck for me.

                    Welker is the guy I want to keep but his injury status and final year of keeper eligibility really reduce his value. Right now I'm leaning towards Meachem or Collie with the nod going to whichever seems to carve out the biggest role with their team through the summer.

                    Thoughts on the 3rd spot?
                    I would still keep Charles. The Chiefs improved the line with Lilja and Weigmann. Thomas Jones will take some carries and some goalline looks, but Charles averaged 6 ypc and had almost 1200 yd in half a season. The offense will open up for Charles with the addition of Charlie Weis and McCluster. McCluster is currently listed as a WR for the Chiefs. I know he will carry the ball some and get some screen passes, but I think he helps Charles more than hurts him. Charles has the most big play ability of all the players you list and he has the best value. If he has a season like he had last year, you would kick yourself for losing him.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I would still keep Charles; I actually think Jones and McCluster will be good for his health, I don't see him as a feature back, he's better off with 15-18 touches.

                      If you are really worried then I would keep Robert Meachem. Even more so if your scoring system tilts toward the WR position like mine does, with PPR and 3 starters.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm also struggling with my decision of who to keep. My league is a 16 team PPR league with an extra WR/TE flex spot. I'm already keeping Ray Rice, Shonn Greene, and Antonio Gates.

                        Pick 2 from the rest.

                        LeSean McCoy
                        Pierre Garcon
                        Anthony Gonzalez (who is going be #2 damn it?)
                        Kellen "I'm a ****** soldier" Winslow
                        Antonio Bryant

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks y'all. My league has bonus points for big plays, too. So Charles really seems like he's probably the best option, especially given his super late round status.

                          It is 2 RB / 3 WR but looks like the voting is done and that will be changing to a 2 / 2 / 1flex (WR/TE/RB) this year so having an extra RB in the stable will be fine. I hadn't really thought about the change when I posted. I was concerned that I'd have a stud RB available with my 9th overall pick (runner up last year :() and wouldn't want to take him b/c I'd already have Greene & Charles. But I could start all 3 anyway . . . :)



                          Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                          I'm also struggling with my decision of who to keep. My league is a 16 team PPR league with an extra WR/TE flex spot. I'm already keeping Ray Rice, Shonn Greene, and Antonio Gates.

                          Pick 2 from the rest.

                          LeSean McCoy
                          Pierre Garcon
                          Anthony Gonzalez (who is going be #2 damn it?)
                          Kellen "I'm a ****** soldier" Winslow
                          Antonio Bryant
                          Definitely Shady. The 5th spot is going to be a tough one. That Colts WR core is going to make for some hard choices this year. With the ability to play the extra TE I'd lean towards Winslow now but Bryant could carve out a nice role in Cincy through the summer.

                          Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have a keeper question. So far I have Brandon Jacobs for a second, Hines Ward for a fourth, Jeremy Maclin for a 5th, Brent Celek for a 8th, and Sidney Rice for a 12th.

                            I am not sure I want to keep Brandon Jacobs for a second though. Should I keep Flacco for a 11th instead of Brandon Jacobs?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yes. Jacobs isn't worth a second round pick. With enough keepers he may go round 2 but you could probably pick him there if you really wanted him, especially if you're pick is early round 2. The same likely can't be said for Flacco in round 11.

                              Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information