5 Rounds in 5 Days Results and Rules Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dallas
    Dallas (6-10) - Patrick Peterson DB/L.S.U.
    Dallas (6-10) - Aaron Williams DB/Texas
    Dallas (6-10) - DeMarcus Love OT/Arkansas
    Dallas (6-10) - Nate Irving ILB/UNC

I don't think that there is any doubt that Patrick Peterson is the #1 player on the Cowboys Big Board. I wasn't willing to give up a 1st and 2nd Rounder for him, but when approached by the Bengals who wanted to trade down, the price was right, giving up a 1st and 3rd to move up 5 spots for the uber-talented, playmaking Peterson to play opposite of Mike Jenkins. Newman is expected to be cut unless he restructures his deal which is set to make him earn $10M next season. Even in the case of a return, injuries and dimished skills would relegate him to a nickel back role.

In round 2, the value and versatility of Aaron Williams was too high to ignore. With Sensabaugh being asked to test FA, Alan Ball (a Wade Phillips project) who turned out to be a failure and a totally raw Akwasi Owusu-Ansah all that's there, there are 2 Safety spots that need to be filled in this offseason. OL and DL were options being looked at, but we didn't see as big an upgrade over Olshansky/Bowen available and only saw 3rd tier talent left at OT. As bad as the OL was last year, the Cowboys still lit up the scoreboard (once Garrett took over as HC), while against the pass, they were ranked 26th... clearly their biggest weakness.

Jerry Jones' philosophy on the OL has always been to address immediate needs with veterans, and use the draft to develop future starters. When a need along the line was great, he has gone to the likes of Marco Rivera, Kyle Kosier, Leonard Davis, Marc Colombo, Montrae Holland... While never in his reign has he ever gone OL in Round 1. So with that in mind, we looked at finding the best talent available along the OL to develop a player. When DeMarcus Love was available, the fit was perfect. An Arkansas product from Jerry Jones' alma mater, Love was seen as a guy who could potentially end up at LG, RG or RT. It's not out of the question that he could be used as a starter at RG right away, with Leonard Davis on the chopping block.

In Round 5, we were looking for BPA that fit a need. Nate Irving was staring us in the face and we had to pull the trigger. When someone looks at the Cowboys defense, they don't see an intimidating MLB presence. A big no no for a Rob Ryan built defense. Bradie James has had a long inconsistent career and next to him has been a revolving door, currently played by soon-to-retire Keith Brooking. Sean Lee flashed signs of promise but outside of him, there is no youth being developed at the position. Leon Williams was a cheap FA pick up who surprisingly made the team, but he was nothing more than a Wade Phillips pet project and extra body who ended up with all of 8 tackles last season. With the age of our starters and the shelf empty, this was a good chance to add a violent player who fits Rob Ryan's intensity.

Wish this would've went 7 rounds. :)

Comment

Originally posted by broth223 View Post
      Detroit Lions

1.13 - OT Tyron Smith, Southern Cal
      2.12 - CB Ras I Dowling, Virginia
      3.11 - OLB Bruce Carter, North Carolina
      4.21 (From KC) - WR Jeff Maehl, Oregon
      5.04 (From KC) - RB Allen Bradford, Southern Cal
      5.20 (From KC) - CB Buster Skrine, UT-Chattanooga
      5.23 (From KC - Tampering) OLB KJ Wright, Mississippi State
      According to SportsXchange, these are the Lion's needs entering the 2011 NFL Draft:

1. Outside linebacker: Mayhew said he viewed both Bobby Carpenter and Ashlee Palmer as candidates to start at outside linebacker next season. But if camp opened today, they would be competing against themselves. The Lions need to restock the position.
      2. Cornerback: The Lions tendered free-agent cornerback Chris Houston, but he still wants to pursue free agency. The Lions have several promising young cornerbacks on the roster -- Alphonso Smith, Aaron Berry, Brandon McDonald, Tye Hill and Prince Miller - but as Mayhew said, "All those guys have talent, all have upside and potential, but not many have performed at a high level in games."
      3. Wide receiver/running back: The Lions will be looking to add depth in the fourth or fifth rounds at these two spots. The third-receiver spot was a major disappointment last season and the health of backup running back Kevin Smith is a lingering concern. He had two more surgeries (knee and shoulder) this offseason.

My Draft Plan
      I had pre-determined I would take a CB and an OT with my first two picks. I had a trade confirmed to move up to the 1.09 pick in an effort to get Prince Amukamara but he went with the 1.07 pick. So I tried to trade down to where Jimmy Smith would make sense. No buyers. That led me to take the person considered to be the top OT in the draft, Tyron Smith. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvYLTsPbxLo

I missed the second day and someone selected Ras-I Dowling for me. A solid pick but with questions because of his injury. His selection meant I was going to draft another CB later in the draft. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VCHpKga3kk

In the third round I selected OLB Bruce Carter of North Carolina. Carter is considered a first round talent that dropped because of a torn ACL. Fortunately this surgery is rather common and Carter is about halfway through his rehab. This gives me a guy that probably would have gone in the middle of the first round if not for his knee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeEI...eature=related

I traded down in the fourth round to acquire extra picks (my fourth for KCs fourth and fifth). I really wanted Edmund Gates to give Detroit a guy that can stretch the field. But he was gone way too early. I reached a bit to take WR Jeff Maehl of Oregon. His speed and game compares very favorably to Wes Welker. Great hands, fearless across the middle and sneaky fast (gets behind faster players). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9vonRlG9Lk

With the fourth pick in the fifth round I opted for what I consider to be one of the top 3 big backs in this draft. Allen Bradford of Southern Cal has good speed and plays behind his pads. He is used to playing in a rotation and averaged over 7 ypc despite playing through an assortment of injuries. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12KlrbyFYXM

With the 21st pick in the fifth round, I wanted a project with explosiveness. I had hoped WR Stephen Burton might fall to me but he went so I selected UT-Chattanooga CB Buster Skrine. Skrine is a very fast corner (Unofficial Combine times of 4.29 and 4.36) that will need to work on his technique and tackling. But speed kills and he has plenty of that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jksB_vrsM

I actually thought that was the end of my draft. I found I had one more pick and the clock was running out. I told Tyrone I wanted an outside LB and he asked me if KJ Wright would do. So I kind of fell into that pick. Seems like a good kid but I suspect he will be special teams fodder this year.
      Last edited by komments; 04-12-2011, 04:22 PM. Reason: Clean up errors in file.

Comment

The Grades Show starts in 15 mintues!!!
        Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
        oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sportci...t-grades-shoow

We need some chatters!

Follow Me on Twitter!
          https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

wtf broth only an A?

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information