No announcement yet.

&Review Thread

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Players Signed

1. Jonathan Vilma, LB - Saints off-season prioarity.
    2. Jake Grove, C - Will strengthen our offensive line
    3. Tank Johnson, DT - Will start opposite Sed Ellis
    4. Ken Lucas, CB - Will start as the nickel
    5. LaMont Jordan, RB - Be a complimentary back to Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush
    6. Landon Johnson, LB - Battle for the WLB spot with Scott Shanle
    7. Brian Iwuh, LB - Special Teams player and backup to Scott Fujita
    8. Antwan Lake, DT - Rotational guy.
    9. Fakhir Brown, CB - Depth/Camp body
    10. Mike Furrey, WR - Will start either as the #2 or slot
    11. Floyd Womack, OL - Provide depth on the offensive line.
    12. Josh Bullocks, S - Provide depth
    13. Jahri Evans, OG - RFA that was tendered
    14. Lance Moore, WR - RFA that was tendered
    15. Zach Strief, OT - RFA that was tendered
    16. Courtney Roby, WR - RFA that was tendered
    17. Leigh Torrence, CB - RFA that was tendered

Players Released/Lost To Free Agency

1. Deuce McAllister, RB (released)
    2. Jason David, CB (released)
    3. Mike McKenzie, CB (trade)
    4. Devery Henderson, WR (free agency)
    5. Jon Stinchcomb, OT (free agency)
    6. Mark Campbell, TE (free agency)
    7. Eric Johnson, TE (free agency)
    8. Joey Harrington, QB (free agency)
    9. David Patten, WR (released)
    10. Kevin Kaesviharn, S (released)
    12. Brian Young, DT (released)
    13. Mark Simoneau, LB (released)

Off-Season Analysis

The Saints knew what they had to do going into free agency. There were several players that were earning more than their worth and needed to be cut. Deuce McAllister, David Patten, and Mike McKenzie were all big names while with the Saints and it was sad to see them go.

However, new blood was brought in and the offense added more depth while the defense saw an overhaul. On offense, Center Jake Grove was brought in from Oakland to improve the middle of the offense while OL Floyd Womack was brought in to provide depth. WR Mike Furrey will off-set the loss of deep-threat Devery Henderson. Finally, RB LaMont Jordan will be that bruising, short-yardage back the Saints have lacked the past two seasons.

On defense, new defensive coordinator needed to fit the personnel to his scheme and the Saints were aggressive in going after those players they feel would fit best. LB Jonathan Vilma was retained, which was key. DT Tank Johnson is the big body they need next to Sedrick Ellis and should help keep blockers away from Vilma. Savvy veteran CB Ken Lucas will compete for a starting spot opposite Tracy Porter and Leigh Bodden, who was acquired via trade. Linebackers Landon Johnson and Brian Iwuh will provide depth along with DT Antwan Lake.

1. New Orleans trades the #14 overall pick for the #20 overall pick and CB Leigh Bodden.
    2. New Orleans trades CB Mike McKenzie to Oakland for S Michael Huff and Oakland's 7th Rd draft pick.
    3. Traded #203 pick for LB Jon Alston
    4. Traded #112 for #131 and #137

1.20 - Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan

Delmas was the #1 Safety on the Saints draft board and felt that he was worth a slight reach at #20 despite their best efforts to trade down. He fits the exact mold the Saints want with their SS and will be a significant improvement over former SS Roman Harper.

5. 131 - Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty

While the Saints have Bush, Thomas, and LaMont Jordan they felt that Rashad Jennings was the best player available. He will compete with Jordan for the #3 back and will see time as a FB, as well as time in the Saints goal line jumbo package.

5. 137 - Bradley Fletcher, CB, Iowa

Fletcher has been a fast riser and raised a lot of eyebrows in the Shrine Game. He will have time to develop and learn behind Randall *** and Ken Lucas and if things go according to plan, he will earn the nickel spot next year.

7. 199 - Jason Boltus, QB, Hartwick

Boltus is a very intriguing prospect and one that Sean Payton would love to work with. Boltus will have time to learn, develop, and grow under Drew Brees and will be groomed to be his eventual replacement years down the road.

Dominique Edison, WR, Stephen F. Austin
    Cameron Morrah, TE, California
    Ryan Purvis, TE, Boston College
    Lendy Holmes, S, Oklahoma
    Anthony Heygood, LB, Purdue
    Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State
    Rylan Reed, OT, Texas Tech
    C.J. Spillman, S, Marshall

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

New England Patriots Offseason Review

Players Signed

FB Heath Evans (re-signed)
      OG Russ Hochstein (re-signed)
      DE Mike Wright (re-signed)
      OLB Jason Taylor (Redskins)
      OLB Pierre Woods (re-signed)
      CB Dre Bly (Broncos)
      SS James Sanders (re-signed)

Players Lost

QB Matt Cassel (trade)
      RB LaMont Jordan (free agency)
      WR Jabar Gaffney (free agency)
      TE David Thomas (released)
      OT Mark Levoir (released)
      C Dan Connolly (released)
      LE Kenny Smith (free agency)
      ILB Larry Izzo (released)
      ILB Junior Seau (free agency)
      OLB Rosevelt Colvin (free agency)
      CB Deltha O'Neal (free agency)
      CB Lewis Sanders (free agency)
      SS Rodney Harrison (retired)
      SS Antwain Spann (released)
      SS Tank Williams (free agency)
      P Chris Hanson (free agency)

Free agency started in New England with the key decision to place the franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel with the intentions of trading him for compensation. Cassel was a solid contributor last year for New England and played like one of the top ten quarterbacks in the league, so I was looking for compensation equal to his playing ability and was able to find in quickly via trade with the Minnesota Vikings, adding a second first-round pick (which would later be traded away for multiple other picks in the first three rounds.) From there, a number of players were released or not invited back in order to free up cap room and get rid of some of the old, overpaid players on roster.

From there, it was time to apply for a number of key Patriots I wanted to retain - Heath Evans, Russ Hochstein, Mike Wright, Pierre Woods, and James Sanders - as well as some of the other free agents I thought could be valuable contributors. In the end, I was able to retain every current Patriot that I applied for, as well as landing two extra free agents, end/linebacker Jason Taylor and cornerback Dre Bly, both of whom have been great players for their career and both of whom I thought Bill Belichick would be able to get a few more productive seasons out of. Free agency wasn't a time of signing so much as a time of trimming down the roster, because I went into the draft with nine picks and confident I could address the team's needs through there.

Players Drafted

1. CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest

2008: 37 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 13 deflections, 7 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, kick blocked

New England's far-and-away biggest need based on their play last year was at cornerback, and although I do like Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite in the future, the value on Alphonso was too hard to pass up. Revamping the secondary was a big need going in and to land a big playmaker like Smith at #23 was relieving. Combined with Ellis Hobbs and Dre Bly, the cornerback position is looking much better than before.

2. FS Rashad Johnson, Alabama

2008: 89 tackles, 5 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 11 deflections, 5 interceptions (2 TD), forced fumble

After feeling as though I had improved the cornerback position, it was time to turn the focus to finding a safety to play opposite Brandon Meriweather. Although I had re-signed James Sanders, a young safety with lots of experience starting, I felt as though Johnson was a perfect fit in New England, boasting top intangibles, terrific ball skills, and outstanding leadership and work ethic demonstrated from his time under a Belichick disciple, Nick Saban.

2. OLB Clay Matthews, Southern California

2008: 57 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, blocked kick

The third of the players drafted by New England, Clay Matthews was also the third player who we had considered taking in the first round, netting us three first-round targets with our first three picks. He really put himself on the board with a terrific senior year and could possibly be drafted ahead of his more famous teammates, Rey Maualuga and Brian Cushing. He has intensity, pass rush ability, and strength, making him a good fit for New England.

2. RB Donald Brown, Connecticut

2008: 367 carries, 2,083 yards (5.6 ypc), 18 touchdowns, 21-125-0 receiving

Brown is my #3 running back in the draft after a terrific senior season, and I didn't think he'd make it out of the top 40-45 picks, so I was very surprised to see him left here. He has good size and speed, and can break a long run just as well as he can run inside. He has terrific vision and there are absolutely no concerns with his work ethic or character. He'd play extensively as a rookie and gives New England a franchise running back if Laurence Maroney doesn't work out.

3. TE James Casey, Rice

2008: 111 receptions, 1,329 yards, 13 touchdowns

Casey is a player who I fell in love with for intangible reasons - he has great character and work ethic and has played a ridiculous amount of positions over the course of his career - linebacker, defensive end, quarterback, wide receiver, H-back, kick/punt returner, holder, deep snapper, and tight end. His production at tight end speaks for itself - 111 receptions last year. This is a player we had to have and weren't afraid to take a few spots early by some opinions.

3. WR Mohamed Massaquoi, Georgia

2008: 58 receptions, 920 yards, 8 touchdowns

Some people say that Mohamed Massaquoi benefited from having Matthew Stafford at quarterbakc, but I would argue that Stafford equally benefited from having Massaquoi as a wide receiver. Although he is slender and ran badly at the combine, Massaquoi is tall, with long arms and soft hands, with deceptive deep speed. He averaged 15.9 yards per catch this year and will have a chance to come in and catch a lot of passes with Randy Moss and Wes Welker taking some attention off of him.

4. NT Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman

2008: 59 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks

Sammie Lee Hill is a very interesting prospect - he comes in at 6'4" and 330 pounds, then runs a 5.15 in the 40-yard dash. Even more so, he had an impressive college career, with 7.5 sacks last year. He may seem like the prototypical nose tackle, but he actually played defensive end last year, which gives him some added versatility. His combination of size, strength, speed, and production made New England's fourth-round pick a no-brainer.

5. ILB Antonio Appleby, Virginia

2008: 72 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 1 interception

Antonio was a guy we were prepared to take in the fourth if Sammie Lee Hill was already gone, so we were glad to get him here. He has prototypical size and speed for the 3-4 (6'4", 251, 4.75) and had a nice season playing in it last year under a Belichick disciple, Al Groh. I was impressed with him on the field in a post-season All-Star appearance and he also impressed me with his well-thought out responses during interviews.

6. TE John Phillips, Virginia

2008: 48 receptions, 385 yards (8.0 ypc), 2 touchdowns

Even after drafting James Casey to play with Ben Watson, I felt as though there was still a need for a blocking tight end and John Phillips is one of the best in the draft. His high character and excellent work ethic playing for Al Groh already put him up as a solid Belichick pick, and the fact that he's an excellent in-line blocker and special teams player made him our pick in the sixth. He'll contribute extensively in run packages even as a rookie.

7. SS Trimane Goddard, North Carolina

2008: 54 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 5 deflections, 7 interceptions (TD), 2 forced fumbles

Wow! I had to look four or five times just to make sure this guy wasn't already taken. I had projected Goddard at around the fourth round after his All-American season last year, and he's also being hyped up by lots of draft analysts for his similarities to Rashad Johnson, who I also loved. He received pro coaching from Butch Davis and I was glad to add his seven interceptions to the secondary. He'll play behind Brandon Meriweather but should contribute on special teams.

Undrafted Free Agents/Practice Squad

WR Brian Hartline, Ohio State

2008: 21 receptions, 479 yards, 4 touchdowns

Was a deep threat in college and also has been a great special teams player. Had nice combine workouts, showing off good route running and hands.

TE Davon Drew, East Carolina

2008: 43 receptions, 695 yards, 3 touchdowns

I know, how many tight ends do I need, right? Anyways, Drew was fantastic in post-season all star games and is also a scout team quarterback!

OT Fred Roland, Duke

Duke is a massive, 6'8" right tackle who played for new offensive coordinator-in-training Bill O'Brien at Duke for a couple of years, so he was worth a shot.

OT Philip Trautwein, Florida

Trautwein was a team captain at Florida, and after missing the 2007 season, came back and played left tackle for Tim Tebow, earning All-SEC honors.

OG C.J. Davis, Pittsburgh

Davis was mentioned in "The Sporting News" as being a first-round talent if only he was a few inches taller. He was easily worth a flier at the end of UDFA.

DT George Hypolite, Colorado

2008: 43 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, 7 QB hurries

Hypolite is a productive defensive tackle whose size translates well to 3-4 defensive end. He's a project but seems to be a popular option in the fifth or so.

OLB Ian Campbell, Kansas State

2008: 47 tackles, 8 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 3 blocked kicks

Campbell is a big guy who projects to 3-4 outside linebacker after playing end in college. He has nice production, especially on special teams blocking kicks.

CB Ellis Lankster, West Virginia

2008: 68 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 7 deflections, 3 INT, forced fumble

Lankster had some character issues but I decided I really liked him at the Senior Bowl practices and he had a great year last year, also returning punts.

I'll come back and add some comments and pics, but I wanted to get it here now or else I may end up forgetting (work has been a *****) I will say the one thing I am proud of is that I actually finished with a better cap for next year (decrease of 2 Million over all). I may not have ended up with some of the FA's I was after, but I really helped the cause for next year.

Feel free to PM me questions and comments

Baas, David $1,163,885 OL
        Bajema, Billy $933,240 TE
        Balmer, Kentwan $1,113,000 DT
        Banta-Cain, Tully $2,266,666 LB
        Battle, Arnaz $2,070,840 WR
        Brooks, Ahmad $445,000 LB
        Brown, Tarell $420,010 CB
        Bruce, Isaac $3,500,000 WR
        Clements, Nate $5,550,000 CB
        Davis, Vernon $3,340,000 TE
        Franklin, Aubrayo $1,733,333 DT
        Gore, Frank $4,795,000 RB
        Green, Roderick $619,320 DE
        Haralson, Parys $495,120 LB
        Harris, Walt $2,067,986 CB
        Heitmann, Eric $2,208,260 OL
        Hill, Jason $564,454 WR
        Hill, Shaun $1,700,000 QB
        Jennings, Brian $914,773 TE/ LS
        Lawson, Manny $1,690,000 LB
        Lee, Andy $997,786 P/K
        Lewis, Keith $1,041,666 S
        Lewis, Michael $4,005,000 S
        McDonald, Ray $523,525 DE
        Morgan, 'Josh' $321,500 WR
        Nedney, Joe $1,634,200 P/K
        O'Sullivan, J.T. $491,000 QB
        Rachal, Chilo $740,000 OL
        Robinson, Michael $807,012 RB
        Roman, Mark $1,325,000 S
        Sims, Barry $2,030,000 OL
        Smith, Justin $3,083,333 DE
        Smith, Reggie $491,000 CB
        Sopoaga, Isaako $1,855,000 DT
        Spikes, Takeo $1,680,000 LB
        Staley, Joe $1,225,520 OL
        Ulbrich, Jeff $2,280,760 LB
        Walker, Delanie $835,060 WR
        Wallace, Cody $417,125 OL
        Willis, Patrick $4,081,000 LB
        Wragge, Tony $784,720 OL
        $102,430, 709
        To Include Practice Squad and IR salaries
        - Practice squad and IR players not listed

QB Shaun Hill
        J.T. O'Sullivan
        Cullen Harper (R)

WR1 Josh Morgan
        Jason Hill
        Juaquin Iglesias (R)
        WR2 Isaac Bruce
        Dominique Zeigler

RB Frank Gore
        Ricky Williams
        Thomas Clayton

FB Michael Robinson

TE Vernon Davis
        Delanie Walker
        Billy Bajema

LT Joe Staley
        Jacob Bender

LG David Baas
        Luis Vasquez (R)
        C Eric Heitmann
        Cody Wallace

RG Chilo Rachal
        Tony Wragge

RT Micheal Oher (R) Barry Sims

DLE Ray McDonald
        Kentwan Balmer

NT Rocky Bernard Isaac Sopoaga
        Aubrayo Franklin

DRE Justin Smith
        Matt Shaughnessy (R)
        LOLB Manny Lawson
        Victor Butler (R) Tully Banta-Cain

LILB Takeo Spikes
        Jeff Ulbrich

RILB Parys Haralson
        Roderick Green

ROLB Patrick Willis
        Ahmad Brooks

LCB Nate Clements
        Deangelo Smith (R) Tarell Brown

RCB DeAngelo Hall Walt Harris
        Reggie Smith

SS Michael Lewis
        (William Moore (R)
        FS Mark Roman
        Keith Lewis

K Joe Nedney

P Andy Lee

KR Deangelo Smith (R) Delanie Walker
        Michael Robinson

PR Deangelo Smith (R) Nate Clements

LS Brian Jennings

Billy Bajema – TE
        Ronald Fields – DE
        Roderick Green – OLB/DE
        J.T. O’Sullivan – QB
        Allen Rossum – CB
        Takeo Spikes – OLB

Alex Smith QB - released
        Jamie Martin -QB –UFA
        Donald Strickland -CB- UFA
        Sean Ryan -TE-UFA
        DeShaun Foster- RB- UFA
        Damane Duckett –DT- UFA

Bryant Johnson – WR - Free Agency
        Adam Snyder - OT - Trade

Rickey Williams - RB – Trade (1.3M)
        DeAngelo Hall - CB - Free Agency (10.5M)
        Rocky Bernard - DT - Free Agency (4.0M)

10. Michael Oher - T – Mississippi 2.1M
        43. William Moore - S – Missouri 1.6M
        79. Juaquin Iglesias - WR – Oklahoma 570K
        107. Matt Shaughnessy - DE – Wisconsin 520K
        138. Deangelo Smith - CB – Cincinnati 420K
        171. Louis Vasquez - G - Texas Tech 370K
        202. Victor Butler - OLB - Oregon State 330K

Cullen Harper – QB – Clemson 275K
        Rob Bruggeman - C – Iowa 250K

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Cleveland Browns

FREE AGENCY

DE Igor Olshansky - Olshansky provided experience at the 3-4 end and will provide much needed relief for Shaun Rogers in the middle. He is a quality end and will immediately improve the Browns defense.

S Sean Jones - We franchised Sean Jones. It was only a $500K increase in salary and we feel that Jones has not done enough to garner a long term contract. If he performs to his level two years ago, we will compensate him fairly. Otherwise, he is free to leave. Its up to him.

S Mike Adams - We love Adams and resigned him to a four year contract. He has shown flashes of being a great NFL safety and has proven to be a legit NFL player. He wanted to stay and Cleveland and we were more than happy to give him what he wanted.

WR Javon Walker - Walker has struggled with injuries, but has shown that he is a tremendous weapon when in the lineup. We signed him to a two-year, incentive based contract that has escalators for both games played and receptions. He wanted to play next to Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow III and have the ball thrown to him by an up and coming quarterback in Brady Quinn.

G Kyle Kosier - Kosier will provide much needed depth along the offensive line, serving as the primary backup for both guard spots.

1 (8) Everette Brown, DE/LB Florida State - The Browns number one need in the offseason was a pass rushing linebacker, and the best one out there was Everette Brown. We thought about taking him at #5, but felt we could move back a couple spots and pick up an extra third rounder. Brown will provide an immediate presence on the outside and playing with a talented group of defenders around him.

2 (36) LeSean McCoy, RB Pittsburgh - Jamal Lewis showed signs of aging, and McCoy is a great fit for the Cleveland offense. A do-it-all tailback, McCoy starred at Pitt and will provide a great 1-2 punch with Lewis for the next 1-2 seasons until Shady takes over full time.

3 (76) Victor "Macho" Harris, CB Virginia Tech - A physical corner, Harris will provide a swagger that the Browns desperately needed on defense. It also allows us to slide Brandon McDonald to the nickel, a place where we feel is his best position. We were thrilled to see such a productive player fall to us at pick 76.

4 (111) Scott McKillop, ILB Pittsburgh - A prolific tackler, McKillop will not start immediately but we feel he has a great shot at developing into a great NFL linebacker. He hit everything that moved at Pitt.

All in all, I thought I did a pretty good job considering the lack of draft picks that Cleveland started with. I was able to fill four huge holes on the Browns, DE, OLB, CB, and RB. I would have liked to pick up a better block shedding ILB, but it just didn't work out with the failed attempts at Bart Scott and missing on some ILBs in round 3 and 4.
          "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

PS - Practice Squad
            TR - Trade
            UDFA - Undrafted FA

QB Tony Romo . Ben Olson (UDFA)
            RB Felix Jones . Marion Barber . Tashard Choice
            FB Deon Anderson . Javorski Lane (UDFA)
            TE Jason Witten . Martellus Bennett
            WR Roy Williams . Isaiah Stanback
            WR Brandon Tate (4) . Miles Austin
            SWR Patrick Crayton . Sam Hurd
            LT Flozell Adams . Xavier Fulton (4)
            LG Montrae Holland . Pat McQuistan
            C Andre Gurode . Antoine Caldwell (3)
            RG Leonard Davis . Herman Johnson (4)
            RT Marc Columbo . Doug Free

DE Shaun Ellis (TR) . Clinton McDonald (7)
            NT Jay Ratliff . Frank Okam (TR)
            DE Marcus Spears . Jason Hatcher
            OLB DeMarcus Ware . Slade Norris . Jacob Rogers
            ILB Bradie James . Jason Williams (5)
            ILB Frantz Joseph (4) . Bobby Carpenter
            Nickel LB Kevin Ellison (6)
            OLB Anthony Spencer . Greg Ellis
            CB Terence Newman . Anthony Henry
            CB Jairus Byrd . Ty Law
            Nickel CB Orlando Scandrick
            FS Mike Jenkins . Donald Washington (7)
            SS Ken Hamlin . Pat Watkins

LS LP Lacodeur
            K Nick Folk
            P Mat McBriar

Player Trades:
            WR Terrell Owens/4th rounder for DE Shaun Ellis/4th rounder
            SS Roy Williams for 4th rounder/NT Frank Okam

Practice Squad
            QB Sean Glennon (UDFA)
            RB Brandon Ore (UDFA)
            TE Tony Curtis
            OT Joel Bell (UDFA)
            DE Stephen Bowen
            DT Everette Pedescleaux (UDFA)
            DB Courtney Brown
            LB Jovan Belcher (UDFA)
            Last edited by D-Unit; 03-09-2009, 12:50 PM.

Debug Information