No announcement yet.

Official PlayStation thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dammit MOTH.. if you don't know if there's one near me or not, how am I gonna get a god damn $18 copy of God of War 3??

Comment

• Dammit, you can't buy online.

Comment

• Hmmm is it worth it for me to drive 2 hours round trip for an $18 game....dilemmas....

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
          anyone upgraded their HDD? mine died due to heavy rain being a horrendously coded POS (fun game, but their developers should mostly be shot in the kneecaps) and i just replaced it. easiest thing ever. but i have no idea what the hell i'm going to fill it with now (original 60gb is now sitting at like, 320. in addition to the ~6TB of other storage i have all over the place).
          I think any laptop hdd will fit. It would be interesting to put in a solid state drive. Any downloaded games would load so fast.

Comment

• I'm late on this, but I love the God of War series.

I'm currently halfway through the second one, I will probably borrow the third.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I wish I caught that deal earlier...I've never even heard of Game Crazy before, but there is one like 20 minutes from my house. The whole store was 50-70% off. Including consoles and accessories. Probably would have snagged a cheap copy of Fallout 3: GotYE. I really dont want to pay for each indivisual dlc, it costs way too much. This deal ends in like 6 or 7 days now. I may go back tomorrow and see if they have anything else left.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                I've pretty much been burned out on MGS since playing through the 3rd one (I got tired of forwarding my way through ridiculously complicated stories), but the trailer for the new one was insane.

If they actually managed to make a world that you can cut up anyway you like, that game will be amazingly entertaining.
                I feel you on that. Kojima fell in love with his own storyline after MGS 2. MGS 4 was just a convoluted mess where nanomachines were the default explanation to any complicated question.

That series was fun as hell, and the original MGS and MGS 2 are probably still my two favorite games ever. The storyline had soooo much potential with MGS 2. Kojima just took it and ran with it, though, and jumped about fifteen sharks on the way.

I also feel like David Hayder's voice acting has gotten worse and worse with every installment, too. MGS 3 and 4 is just him grunting a lot and doing a Christian Bale Batman impression.

Comment

• bite your tongue when you diss metal gear solid!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                    bite your tongue when you diss metal gear solid!
                    I know, it pains me to say it. For the criticisms I have, it is the most engrossing, fun series I have ever, ever played, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

• The first one on PSX was the first time I can ever remember a video game having a storyline that consumed my attention. MGS2 is easily my favorite game of all time. Snake Eater was a lot of fun and I dug the storyline. I though MGS4 was so awesome. Maybe it was due to it being on a PS3 and having those insane graphics, but I think it's fascinating, I felt like it was completely fan service and I didn't care one bit.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        The first one on PSX was the first time I can ever remember a video game having a storyline that consumed my attention. MGS2 is easily my favorite game of all time. Snake Eater was a lot of fun and I dug the storyline. I though MGS4 was so awesome. Maybe it was due to it being on a PS3 and having those insane graphics, but I think it's fascinating, I felt like it was completely fan service and I didn't care one bit.
                        I agree with you, especially with part 2. Everyone bitched about Raiden, but I thought it was perfect to develop Snake's character through somebody else's eyes. The whole Patriot story arc fascinated me as well, as it came during a time when I was just starting to learn about secret societies, conspiracies, and the like.

3 and 4 I liked a lot, too, but for whatever reason, they didn't have the replayability 1 and 2 did for me. I dunno. You're right about 4 being a fan service, and I did dig that. The Shadown Moses act was so nestalgic, I actually felt emotional while going through it haha. Made me wish that they'd re-do MGSX on the PS3 engine.
                        Last edited by yourfavestoner; 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• The closest gamecrazy store to me was 132 miles. I don't think I would go even if it was free.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                          02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                          02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                          02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                          Originally posted by fenikz
                          we all hate you

Comment

• There was a Game Crazy really close to me but they're already closed. Sad panda.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                              I also feel like David Hayder's voice acting has gotten worse and worse with every installment, too. MGS 3 and 4 is just him grunting a lot and doing a Christian Bale Batman impression.
                              I think it may actually be other way around (Bale copying Hayder).

My feeling on MGS is basically the following. The first one was totally rad and basically invented the modern stealth game. The strange mechanics were easily forgiven because it was pretty far ahead of any real competition and people expected a little less from game then.

The second one is the one I played the most. It was mostly great, even with Raiden. The stories started to get more and more insane and long-winded, but who cares because you get to be super badass and the cut-scenes can be skipped.

The third one I enjoyed despite the fact that it should never have been made. The concept was cool, it has the best beginning of any MGS, and nothing made more sense than going Rambo with Solid Snake. The problems were two-fold. First, you can't take the MGS2 engine, which was designed to function best in tightly enclosed spaces like ships and military complexes and adapt it straight to a ******* Russian jungle. You just can't. The game should have been an sandbox or at least big enough that it played functionally somewhat like a sandbox game. Second off, they failed to improve on a combat system that badly needed to be updated. Compared to games like Splinter Cell, MGS's firefights always feel totally clunky and significantly less satisfying than the stealth aspect. Snake Eater simply threw you into combat way too often to not revolutionize the way you engaged in live fights. They didn't.

After that, I was basically burned out. I played a little MGS4, but I saw all the things that bugged me (incomprehensible storyline and horrendous firefight controls) and neither of those things were made better by how great the game looked visually. As I said, the 5 installation looks interesting. The sword segments in MGS2 were the only times playing Raiden wasn't totally stupid and obviously Kojima recognizes that. A world where you can slice apart any support in any way and watch the results as the ceiling crashes down is seriously awesome, and if I have to wade my way through another ridiculous story and occasionally frustrating moment where the controls fail you to get at that sweet sword action, then so be it.

Comment

• Just ordered NCAA 2011. Is this game good?

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                                02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                                Originally posted by fenikz
                                we all hate you

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information