Roger Federer vs. Tiger Woods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaxV
    Golf is NOT popular in every country. It's only popular in a handfull.

Tennis is played EVERYWHERE.
    wow thats why everyone knows who the hell tiger woods is. if you go to freekin the middle of russia and ask some slav to name either of the two by seein a picture. everyone would know tiger woods and roger federer would get a big shrug of the shoulders followed by a middle finger after you told him he played tennis.

Comment

But so is golf :?

I've played golf in a number of countires with many different people. I've also done the same with tennis.

What are you basing this on, may I ask?

Comment

Originally posted by giantfAn

wow thats why everyone knows who the hell tiger woods is. if you go to freekin the middle of russia and ask some slav to name either of the two by seein a picture. everyone would know tiger woods and roger federer would get a big shrug of the shoulders followed by a middle finger after you told him he played tennis.
        I'm from Russia, and I can tell you that almost no one plays Golf there.

They don't even consider it as a sport (I can't blame them).

Tennis on the other hand is VERY popular there, and Federer is well known.

Comment

This is hardly exact, but at least it's some measure...

http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm

According to that, Tennis is more popular.

Comment

Originally posted by giantfAn

I'm from Russia, and I can tell you that almost no one plays Golf there.

They don't even consider it as a sport (I can't blame them).

Tennis on the other hand is VERY popular there, and Federer is well known.
            Well Russia is a one off. The amount of really fine tennis players they produce is outstanding, more then any other country in the world. Apart from Tennis though, I can't see any other country being so geared towards Golf or Tennis. I assume I'm right in saying that the climate plays a big part in the lack of golf being played?

Also, a countries acceptence of a sport is much higher if someone is fairly succesfull at it. Like Russia, ffor example. They have produced great players, especially young women players. As the sucess of Kournikova spread, I'm sure many young Russians were more into Tennis then before as they have seen what it can offer to someone who excels at it. The same is true now of Mexico. Due to the sucess of Lorena Ochoa, golf has become a more prominet sport in Mexico, a big change to the hevily football related country it was.

However, I belive that golf and tennis are played all over the world, both of them. I just think in Russia's case, the climate plays a huge part in the lack of golf played there. As a result you don't have many Russian golfers to look forward too and to try and emulate and with the climate you don't have the oppurtunity to, even if you would like too. Am I right in assuming these things of Russia, or have I got it all wrong? Regardless, I would like to know the opinion of a Russian to truely gauge what is going on in Russia and what you feel about it.

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp
              This is hardly exact, but at least it's some measure...

http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm

According to that, Tennis is more popular.
              I think that the majority of this is rubbish. I really doubt that Volleyball is the most popular sport in the world. This takes into account people who play the sport, in the case of Volleyball, probably people on the beach. However, it does not take into account how many people watch the sport. And even if Volleyball is the most popular sport in the world, I doubt it is by that much, almost twice as much.

But it is still interesting to look at, a nice find.

Comment

You're right, climate plays a role.

In Russia golf is viewed as more of an amusement for the Rich people then a sport.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean that Tiger Woods isn't known at all there, I'm sure you'll find a few people that would know who he is.

But he's not very popular there.

I'm also not saying that Federer is known by everyone, that's not true either.

But I still believe that if you look at the world's sport fan population, I strongly believe that A LOT more follow tennis then golf. Therefore, Federer is probably more popular.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088
                  Originally posted by sweetness34
                  Federer is the most underrated Pro Athlete in America right now IMO.
                  How is he underrated? because he has only one ESPN commercial runing right now? are you kidding Federer is adored by the media and everyone else because he is so dominant. But i still dislike him and Tiger for some reason.
                  And when the great sportsment are brought up, people will rarely say Roger Federer. Ok I should have said the most "unsung" Pro Athlete. The dude is just flat out dominant in his sport yet he plays second fiddle on shows like Sportscenter. Hence why he's underrated.

If you ask a casual sports fan who the most dominant athlete right now is; they'll probably say Pujols, Woods, Peyton Manning, etc...I'm pretty sure they won't mention Federer. Hell some of my friends just heard about him for the first time this week. And they're casual sports fans.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                  Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information