The Michael Vick legal discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
    Hold on there, just because he payed the girl off doesn't mean he's guilty. It means he just wanted to move on. By that logic, Kobe Bryant is a rapist.
    That was a civil case too, I don't believe he got into trouble with the law. He simply paid off the girl, it's very similar to the Peyton Manning suit a few years back. A woman sued him claiming that Peyton "sexually harrassed" her but I think it was found out that he just mooned her in college.
    Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

Originally posted by BuckNaked View Post
      If only Johnny Cochrane was still alive...
      Yeah, then Vick could use the Chewbacca Defense.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
        Hold on there, just because he payed the girl off doesn't mean he's guilty. It means he just wanted to move on. By that logic, Kobe Bryant is a rapist.
        Kobe admitted to having relations with her, he just said it was consensual. He paid her off to make it go away. There is a difference between the cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
          He used it to store jewellery in. Know your stuff before you comment.
          Then why did he have to throw it away before going through a metal detector/security?

Again, if he wasn't putting himself in these positions, there wouldn't be issues. If you want to keep giving him the benefit of the doubt, that's fine. But this is now the fourth incident that has occurred that has brought a black eye/negative press on the league in some way, all because of his personal decisions.
          Last edited by Jay; 07-20-2007, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
            Then why did he have to throw it away before going through a metal detector/security?

Again, if he wasn't putting himself in these positions, there wouldn't be issues. If you want to keep giving him the benefit of the doubt, that's fine. But this is now the fourth incident that has occurred that has brought a black eye/negative press on the league in some way, all because of his personal decisions.
            Let me get this straight: you think Vick should be penalized because of an incident where he was cleared of any wrong-doing? Should T.O. be penalized because he runs his mouth and is a cancer to his team and in the league in general? No, because he's within his rights. If Vick isn't breaking the law, he shouldn't be suspended.

Comment

Originally posted by Scar View Post
              Look, all my dogs have come from rescue shelters, I have done training with a number of them that needed to taught to stop aggressive habits caused by previous owners, so this issue hits real close to home for me.
              Moses is an intelligent guy. I've seen that all over this forum. I don't mean to come across as belittling him. It's just come on, forget the animal rights tangents and fair trial textbooks and look at the facts. This is one of the most shut and sealed cases in history. There's no leg to stand on to try and defend Vick other than the same inane technicalities and loopholes that his lawyers will employ to try and get him off. Even if they find one that works, it'll never change what Vick has so painfully obviously done.
              Scar,

First of all, nice change of topic after I proved you wrong on the water bottle incident. ;)

Maybe you're right about Vick having no legal leg to stand on in court. I don't know, the defence hasn't presented its argument yet. Further, it doesn't really matter for the situation right now. The fact is that there is a chance (as slim as it may be) that Vick is found innocent. Since that possibility remains, the league simply cannot suspend him.

The league isn't in a position to dictate justice. They know it and we know it. If Vick is cleared of these charges, they're not going to suspend him even if we all still think he did it. They'll punish him based on what the justice system convicts him of. Anything else would be an injustice.

Comment

Originally posted by ricky bobby View Post
                Don't bother. Moses is too stubborn to ever admit he was wrong. He won't jump off the bandwagon until Vick goes to jail. Someone447 and Moses are the only ones left on the bandwagon. I kind of feel bad for them, it's kind of pathetic.
                If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was Moses wrong about, and what's this bandwagon you speak of? The way I remember it, a few of us pulled back on the reigns of a wild topic and injected a dose of reality for those who took a hypocritical stance on the matter. I don't recall any defending of Vick other than insisting that he be granted due process before we burned him at the stake. Only the most obedient of mass media consuming sheep choose to blindly skip this most elemental consideration. Speaking for myself, if anybody came away from my posts thinking that I in any way implied that I was backing Vick, they ought to brush up on their reading comprehension skills. I haven't read all of their posts on the subject, but I think 447 and Moses would say the same.

Comment

Originally posted by duckseason View Post
                  If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was Moses wrong about, and what's this bandwagon you speak of? The way I remember it, a few of us pulled back on the reigns of a wild topic and injected a dose of reality for those who took a hypocritical stance on the matter. I don't recall any defending of Vick other than insisting that he be granted due process before we burned him at the stake. Only the most obedient of mass media consuming sheep choose to blindly skip this most elemental consideration. Speaking for myself, if anybody came away from my posts thinking that I in any way implied that I was backing Vick, they ought to brush up on their reading comprehension skills. I haven't read all of their posts on the subject, but I think 447 and Moses would say the same.
                  Yup. I'm not "backing" Vick, just saying that he deserves a fair trial just like every other U.S. citizen. On top of that, he deserves to be treated fairly be the league. That means not punishing him until it is clear that he did something to warrant a punishment.

If Vick is found guilty, Goodell can have a field day on him for all I care. He violated the league's rules and he should be punished for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
                    Maybe you're right about Vick having no legal leg to stand on in court. I don't know, the defence hasn't presented its argument yet. Further, it doesn't really matter for the situation right now. The fact is that there is a chance (as slim as it may be) that Vick is found innocent. Since that possibility remains, the league simply cannot suspend him.
                    But that's just it, the situation right now requires a response. There is a protest outside league headquarters as I type this. Falcons training camp is going to be an absolute circus if Vick is there. Everywhere he goes will be. Everything the league has done to clean up it's image in the last year has been washed away tenfold by the situation Michael Vick has gotten himself into. Even the association with the other persons involved in this if his "I didn't know about this, I was never there" ignorance excuse holds water is bad enough to strongly suggest he not come to work until it's all over. Suspending him wouldn't be going out on a limb, they've certainly suspended guys for less.

Comment

But that's just it, the situation right now requires a response. There is a protest outside league headquarters as I type this. Falcons training camp is going to be an absolute circus if Vick is there. Everywhere he goes will be. Everything the league has done to clean up it's image in the last year has been washed away tenfold by the situation Michael Vick has gotten himself into. Even the association with the other persons involved in this if his "I didn't know about this, I was never there" ignorance excuse holds water is bad enough to strongly suggest he not come to work until it's all over. Suspending him wouldn't be going out on a limb, they've certainly suspended guys for less.
                      You can't just suspend guys for no reason or because he might have broke a law. What is hard to understand about that? There will be legal ramifications for the league if they do something like that.

Comment

No reason? You've got the US Senate decrying Vick today! How much more detrimental to the league does the guy have to be? Federal Indictments simply aren't handed out without years of investigation and scads of evidence. It's not that he "might" have broken a law. He broke laws. Lots of them. There's no need to sit around to see if he falls into the 1% that manages to escapes sentencing on a technicality.

Comment

No reason? You've got the US Senate decrying Vick today! How much more detrimental to the league does the guy have to be? Federal Indictments simply aren't handed out without years of investigation and scads of evidence. It's not that he "might" have broken a law. He broke laws. Lots of them. There's no need to sit around to see if he falls into the 1% that manages to escapes sentencing on a technicality.
                          Do you understand what would happen if he were suspended and then "escapes sentencing on a technicalilty"? Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. That's the American way.

Comment

Federal Indictments simply aren't handed out without years of investigation and scads of evidence.
                            Not that it matters, but that isn't even close to the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                              Kobe admitted to having relations with her, he just said it was consensual. He paid her off to make it go away. There is a difference between the cases.

How? Vick payed the girl off to make it go away too. He didn't want it to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by ricky bobby View Post
                                Don't bother. Moses is too stubborn to ever admit he was wrong. He won't jump off the bandwagon until Vick goes to jail. Someone447 and Moses are the only ones left on the bandwagon. I kind of feel bad for them, it's kind of pathetic.

No one is on the Vick "bandwagon" atleast what I have come across. I haven't seen anyone defend dog-fighting. The only thing we are defending, is that it is his right to be innocent until proven guilty.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information