No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm assuming its just to get some kind of rant out of APS? If so, please continue.

^A Bonekrusher production^
    Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

• Hey, if he wants to waste his time watching those movies, be my guest. Lol street fighter.
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
        I just finished Doubt. Very well made. Great cast with one great acting performance after another along with a rarity of seeing male and female titans constantly clash in multiple scenes. Streep completely owns in this. I have not seen most of her work (pretty much mostly from this decade), but from what I have seen, I always find her to be incredible, or among the best qualities of the film (The Devil Wears Prada... horrible movie, but great performance, and I thought she was exceptional in The Manchurian Candidate). She also made Lions for Lambs bearable (And Tom Cruise was actually better than her!). She just seems to effortlessly go from a reporter to a nun to a senator and play those parts as convincingly as can be. Same can be said for Philip Seymour Hoffman who has been on a ridiculious tear since his career defining performance in Capote. I thought he gave the second best supporting performance (along with Javier Bardem, tie) to Casey Affleck (Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford) with Charlie Wilson's War and this performance was just as deserving of an Oscar, but that Ledger guy kind of got in the way. The guy is just incredible. From the light operator in Boogie Nights (Scotty) to Phil Parma to Dean Trumbell to Truman Capote to Gust Avrakotos, Andy Hanson and John Savage (last three all in the same year) to now pulling out this gem of an accused pedophile priest, Father Brendan Flynn (Not to mention his great performance in Synecdoche, New York, which was also worthy of an Oscar nomination) is a run that only the greatest of actors go on.
        Streep has been excellent in 98% of her work since The Deer Hunter in 1978. I include Sophie's Choice in the 98%, maybe The Bridges of Madison County by Hollywood's most pedestrian & underwhelming/overrated director Clint Eastwood is in the other 2%. Eastwood is way washed up now & coasting in his rep, I stood in my living rm. & applauded loudly when I heard his announcement that Gran Torino would be his last performance, he won't inflict himself on us anymore.

P.S. Hoffman was ready for the transition from character parts to leading man/bankable box office before headlining in Capote b/c he was showing the acting chops in those character roles, I think it was as early as Twister ('94), certainly Boogie Nights, cult classic The Big Lebowski, Magnolia, especially in the Talented Mr. Ripley, & then as the sleazebag tabloid reporter Freddy in Red Dragon -- wasn't it just stunning when he was burning in that wheelchair rolling into the parking garage? -- then the real breakthrough supporting performance in Cold Mtn. as the philandering minister chained to Jude Law, his was the memorable performance for me in all those. He's best as a reprobate villain for some reason, like the pedophile priest in Doubt as you mentioned, or the oily sycophant asst. to the insurance scamming Lebowski in the cult classic of the same name, yet he can evoke a completely sympathetic character from someone even as effeminate *** with his sneering whiny voice in Capote, though the supporting parts & performances in that film were superior in all ways.

As for M. Night, he's the personification for too much box office success too early in his career & the later films never reached the bar of expectations raised way too high. All those goth kids hanging around his driveway telling reporters "He's connected to the other side" crediting the success of 6th Sense to his ability to communicate beyond the grave went to his head. Yes, Signs had its moments but never delivered on the protracted suspense built up for 90 mins +, & Bryce Dallas Howard owes 90% of her career to him, she & needs to work in something other than an MNS film but with Spiderman 3 she's off to a great start, she's a really hot redhead with a decent thespian skillset & her pedigree doesnt hurt. You realize that she's Opie's/Ron Howard's daughter, right? She's a 2nd generation Hollywood elite actress, maybe her pedigree carried her farther than her limited filmography will support. Some say MNS is the kiss of death for an otherwise good film, A-listers seems to do checkbook performances for him, see Mel Gibson in Signs & Oscar-winner Bill Hurt in The Village, which is at best 2-star ** film despite the non-Hollywood ending as noted. DBH will have to go a long way with decent performances to live down Lady In the Water, Shamalan has that & lots of other mediocre work to get past, any more critical bombs & he will get a rep as bopx office poison.
        Last edited by LizardState; 06-30-2009, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
          Why would you watch either of these movies you assbat?
          I find that the worse a movie gets, the funnier it is. Honestly, I was laughing the entire time on that Street Fighter one, Chris Klein is trying so hard to channel Nick Cage during the movie, to the point where it's so goddamn hilarious, you can't help but laugh.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Guess who gets to take 5 of his little brothers/sisters/cousins to see transformers 2 today. But it okay, I get to keep the $7 left in change. :/

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
              Guess who gets to take 5 of his little brothers/sisters/cousins to see transformers 2 today. But it okay, I get to keep the $7 left in change. :/
              When I took my 5 year old boy to see it, there were tons of hot mommies there with there kids also. You guys have to do a better job of looking for the bright side in things.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• At least you get to look at Megan Fox hotness for 150 mins.
                Notice her white pants in the end of the movie, eventhough she is running/crawling around the desert for most of the movie, they never seem to get dirty.

Comment

• They are currently creating a Let The Right One In remake, directed by Matt Reeves. This is, in my opinion, atrocious. Just because the movie isnt in english doesnt mean is has to be remade. Ugh.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...pire-tale.html
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• June was good for movies to me. I saw

Away We Go
                    Star Trek
                    Adventureland
                    The Hangover
                    The Brothers Bloom

I liked them all very much. I really, really liked Away We Go. Star Trek was a very good summer movie, and the rest were good for laughs.
                    July brings Public Enemies and Moon. Hooray.

Originally posted by aNYtitan View Post
                    Alright, I just finished watching Punisher: War Zone. You get what you rented, a just bloody, violent movie with some plot in the middle. They just rebooted the series like they did the Hulk, but I don't think this one is going to get a series coming. I like what Marvel did though with the R rating, cause they held no punches back on this one. Better then the first one to tell the truth, I like Ray Stevenson as the Punisher
                    Stevenson was good, he fit the Punisher best. But I'm not complaining about Dolph Lundgren or Tom Jane in the role, either, because those guys just rule too hard.

Some fun killing sequences, but that was about it. A fun cheap shows movie that I really hadn't thought about more than 5 minutes after leaving the theater.

Comment

• That's been rumored for a long time. I have faith in Reeves to do a good job. Reeves will be a big time director yet.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                      KO KNOWS

Comment

• i think Public Enemies will end up being one of the best movies i ever see. (hopefully)

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                          They are currently creating a Let The Right One In remake, directed by Matt Reeves. This is, in my opinion, atrocious. Just because the movie isnt in english doesnt mean is has to be remade. Ugh.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...pire-tale.html
                          why think of original movies when I can just copy some other movie which the majority of the American populous hasn't seen or heard of?

it's smart business

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• July will be better because of 1 movie

Half Blood Prince!

Comment

• I forgot how much I loved PSH in Charlie Wilson's War. He is fantastic alongside Tom Hanks in that movie. I think I might watch that tonight.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                              Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                                This was supposed to be a beyond epic summer for blockbuster movies. But it turns out...Wolverine, Terminator, and Transformers 2 all suck. Atleast you had Star Trek.
                                I am going to toot my own horn for a second, I ******* called those 3 movies being garbage.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information