Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
    I'm watching Starship Troopers for the first time. Heard mixed reviews about it.
    It's a classic. It's damn silly, but in the best way.

Comment

• Originally posted by thefalconer View Post
      it's probably been awhile but does anyone have a link for the hurt locker? pm please.
      I just got it today and am actually getting ready to watch it. Score.

worker bees can leave
      even drones can fly away
      the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
        It's a classic. It's damn silly, but in the best way.
        Would you like to know more?

Haha, I love Starship Troopers. The aliens remind me of zerg from StarCraft.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
          I saw The Hangover last night, and I must say I'm disappointed. I was expecting all out laughter throughout the movie. There were some points where I laughed, but nothing crazy or a whole lot of it. It was funny, but not nearly what I expected...
          I have to agree. It was funny but not all out laughter as I expected due to recommendations

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

Comment

• I think my favorite part of the movie is Ed Helms' song about the tiger.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
              The ending is the best part lol.
              i didnt like it...it was supposed to be a twist ending and i just tought it was stupid

Comment

• Originally posted by alca1992 View Post
                i didnt like it...it was supposed to be a twist ending and i just tought it was stupid
                it was awesome. I dont know how u expected the ending to be, but that was the only way ending that would make the movie awesome because of the way it was made

Comment

• Starship Troopers

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                  I'm watching Starship Troopers for the first time. Heard mixed reviews about it.
                  I didn't like the way they butchered Heinlein's original novel, whole p/o omitted (where were the Skinnies?) but they kept the primary themes of fascist futurism & the military obligation of citizenship & loyalty were kept in. Fans should definitely read the book 1st, then rent the director's cut DVD, I understand there were whole scenes cut from a very long theater release version.

Starship Troopers is all about space war, humans vs. the bugs, & it was the inspiration for James Cameron's Aliens 11 yrs. previous. The atmosphere of a paramilitary environment imposed on space is noticeable, unlike the performances from then-unknown for the most part actors, Casper Van Dien's career didnt really take off, Denise Richards' did somewhat but fizzled later.

The best p/o it were the war itself, the battle scenes with hordes of CG hostile bugs aliens -- the scene defending the outpost is right out of the defense of Ft. Zintenouf from Beau Geste & its many film versions. I was impressed by the fact that even with all the ultra-techy space age weaponry the military experience as shown from boot camp thru battle is just as it ever was, btw just like Heinlein's pre-WW2 military experience.

I give Starship Troopers 4 stars, the ST2 & 3 followups get maybe a half star each b/c they are much lower budget & lower quality ripoffs of the original that spent their $ on the TM rights to the film name & CG aliens.
                  Last edited by LizardState; 07-18-2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Taking Woodstock

Speaking of Dmitri Martin from the TV thread....

He has the lead role in a new Ang Lee-directed film about the Woodstock, NY land owners around Max Yasgur's famous farm in 1969 who got the 1st rock music fest that became the cultural landmark for my whole generation. I saw the preview when I went to Hurt Locker yesterday (review to follow).

Martin is playing a homosexual character, I see Ang Lee will forever be associated with *** themes after Brokeback Mtn. That aside, I noted from just the previews that he seemed really out of place in the role, just looked really stiff like he does onstage, even when walking like an uncoordinated 13-yr-old. I wondered why he was cast in it.... the Hollywood Review had the same concerns:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...4a56092db8efc0

Note that Lee uses a lot of the same split screen techniques that were trendy in 1969 film making & seen in the Maysles Bros. 4-hr. documentary of Woodstock, which I highly recommend if just for the onstage performances by classic rock bands alone -- IMO the Who stole the whole show, but the consensus seems to be that the 1st onstage performance of Crosby, Stills & Nash was the best, all a matter of personal preference.

I knew about Ang Lee as a brilliant technical director who did great things with characterization with The Ice Storm, then went all gaga over him after seeing Ride With the Devil, an underrated Civil War film about guerrilla fighting in Missouri & his 2nd film with Tobey Maguire, in 1999 -- rarely do you see a Civil War film sympathetic to the Confederate side, again Lee does great things by emphasizing the human backstory behind a major social or historical event. Maybe Taking Woodstock will be worth it for him alone.
                    Last edited by LizardState; 07-18-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChezPower4 View Post
                      About to watch the Aqua Teen Movie :D <---- very happy Chez

best part of the movie^^

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                        I didn't like the way they butchered Heinlein's original novel,
                        I would have loved it if they kept the power suits (You see G.I Joe picked that idea up) and the individual drop suits in the movie.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Vampire movies are beyond played out but, Daybreakers looks atleast decent, imo. Not sure if there is much hope for it, though w/ the relatively unknown directors/writers (Spierig brothers) and a January release...but, we'll see.

I've never seen the zombie flick they did, Undead. That was supposed to be decent enough.

Daybreakers trailer (Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, Sam Neill, Isabel Lucas)

Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 07-18-2009, 10:41 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                          KO KNOWS

Comment

• I saw the Daybreakers trailer before, I think it looks bad ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                              Vampire movies are beyond played out but, Daybreakers looks atleast decent, imo. Not sure if there is much hope for it, though w/ the relatively unknown directors/writers (Spierig brothers) and a January release...but, we'll see.

I've never seen the zombie flick they did, Undead. That was supposed to be decent enough.

Daybreakers trailer (Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, Sam Neill, Isabel Lucas)

Awesome, original concept.
                              Virginia Tech.
                              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                                Awesome, original concept.
                                Yeah it's so much cooler than that time Blade Trinity did the exact same premise

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information