Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
    So just rented The Prestige and the lady at the video store said I should also rent The Illusionist. Is this truths?

Also rented Munich and Gangs of New York. Good? She was trying to sell me on The Kite Runner but that looked kind of sketchy.
    I think The Prestige is as good as script writing and film making you can get. It's flawless and one of the most engaging movies I've ever seen. Huge Jackman, who's never noteworthy, is excellent. Bale is absolutely terrific as well. It is ten times better than The Illusionist, which is very similar, but much less ambitious and a stripped down film compared to The Prestige.

Munich is great. It's about assassins. That's really all you need to know. It's amazing.

Gangs of New York is probably one of the best production pieces with the incredible sets and costumes you might ever see... think Gladiator level. DDL gives a towering performance. Very long, but that's not the problem. I don't really know what it is that keeps me from calling it a masterpiece, but something just feels missing. DiCaprio is kind of miscast, but he doesn't hurt it.

Those are some great movies. Epic movies as well.

I just finished that once again, and I come away appreciating it more and more and more with every viewing. DDL gives one of the most brooding and slowly dissolving performances you'll ever see. One of the best films of the decade and maybe the performance of the decade. The gusher scene is simply magnificent. With the camera movements... the score... the pacing / editing, and of course the acting... it's about ten minutes of perfection. I still have There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights very close. I don't know which one is Anderson' best. I can't even decide which lead performance is better. Dirk Diggler is probably the greatest character ever created.
    Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
    Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
    I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
    Originally posted by bearsfan_51
    iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
    Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
    I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
    Originally posted by GoRavens
    Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Best film and performance of the decade right there.

Comment

• The score is far and away the best thing about TWBB IMO. I found it to be absolutely terrific.

I am not nearly as high on TWBB as most people, and I definitely think Gangs of New York is overrated. Far too long IMO, and some questionable performances keep it from being the spectacular exhibit of filmmaking some will try and convince you it is.

I prefer Boogie Nights to them both.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Magnolia. Punch Drunk Love, Boogie Nights, and TWBB all find themselves in my personal top 10

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
            Anyone see Angels and Demons?
            I read the book and loved it and was hoping the movie was good too.
            My hopes aren't that high though 'cause I loved the book The Da Vinci but thought the movie sucked
            I refuse to see the movie. I had read the Davinci Code and thought the book was incredible. I told myself I really did want to see the movie because I didn't want the movie to somewhat spoil the book for me. Long story short my ex talked me into watching it one night with her and I didn't like the movie at all. I don't want the same thing to happen with Angels and Demons. Which I thought was a even better book than the DC.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChezPower4 View Post
              I refuse to see the movie. I had read the Davinci Code and thought the book was incredible. I told myself I really did want to see the movie because I didn't want the movie to somewhat spoil the book for me. Long story short my ex talked me into watching it one night with her and I didn't like the movie at all. I don't want the same thing to happen with Angels and Demons. Which I thought was a even better book than the DC.
              Thats your first problem. Its one of the biggest pieces of trash Ive ever read in my entire life. The movie was even worse IMO.
              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
              The APS is strong in this one.
              Originally posted by killxswitch
              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                Thats your first problem. Its one of the biggest pieces of trash Ive ever read in my entire life. The movie was even worse IMO.
                Dan Brown blows balls.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I'm pretty sure I've said this earlier in the thread. Dan Brown books = great mystery plot and story until the ending. He doesn't know how to finish a book properly, like he gets the awesome idea and doesn't know how to end it. Popcorn movies with Tom Hanks and Ron Howard as adaptations.

And like I said about TWBB, great everything except pace. The movie moves really slowly throughout. I liked it a whole lot, there were some really amazing scenes, but that one flaw is all that kept it from being a masterpiece IMO. Plot is static to a degree. Music, acting, photography is 10/10.
                  Last edited by keylime_5; 08-10-2009, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                    I think The Prestige is as good as script writing

Really? If the book was actually popular everyone would be saying the same thing they are saying about The Kite Runner on this page. It's hard for me to consider screen writing 'great' when the source material is handed to you by someone else.

Overrated movie.

Comment

• http://www.popmatters.com/pm/special...-performances/
                      Anyone see this list of the 100 essential male performances?

Pretty weird list (some pretty worthless categories, which confines certain performances). I don't think there's one DDL performance. I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing one.

Has anyone here seen Spider? Ralph Finnies gives great performance after performance, and I've really wanted to see that. From the stills I've seen, he looks great.

Harvey Keitel in The Last Temptation of Christ is a joke. For a movie with no more than three or four flaws, Keitel is probably the most glaring. Not probably.... he is the worst thing about it.

A lot of *** / cross-dressing performances... I don't know what's up with that.
                      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Marky Mark is a badass.

PM me for sigs.

Comment

• The Inception trailer will debut in front of Inglourious Basterds...I'm excited to see what it's all about.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                            Really? If the book was actually popular everyone would be saying the same thing they are saying about The Kite Runner on this page. It's hard for me to consider screen writing 'great' when the source material is handed to you by someone else.

Overrated movie.
                            Do I dare run through the list of "great" screenplays that were first novels?

The Prestige is a flawless script. The author of The Prestige agrees.

The Departed is one of my favorites as well. I treat those no differently than the Good Will Hunting or Inside Man original screenplays. There Will Be Blood is adapted, but hardly. Does it really make it any less of a script? The Assassination of Jesse James is perfection. No Country for Old Men. The Godfather. It's not as easy as it sounds, but adapted screenplays are pretty easily ****** up.

Comment

• anyone think Gamer will be good? i think Gerard Butler is underrated.

Comment

• I like Butler, Gamer looks like it could have some nice visuals and effects but, I'd be shocked if it was any good. It's ridiculous and just seems downright stupid.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                                KO KNOWS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information